Another drop-in Lithium solution - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger EV Discussions for the Electric Polaris Ranger EV.
Sponsored by: Voltronix USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Moon Shiner

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-09-2019, 06:08 AM
Roosted

Would like to know if they have been used in Ranger EV and the performance.

2016 EV Avalanche Grey/Polaris SportRoof/Seizmik Versa-Fold Windshield/Polaris Lock & Ride Pro-Fit Glass Rear Panel/KFI Rear Tube HD Bumper/Great Day Inc Quick Draw Overhead Gun Rack/Seizmik pursuit side view mirrors /Viper Elite 4,500 lb Wide Spool Winch /EZ turn signal and horn kit/Pro Armor SIXR 14"wheels/Grim reapers 26/9.00/R14 front 26/11.00/R14 rear/Super Daves rear A arm outer & rear shock bushings/cargo bed liner/chainsaw holder/gun grabber rifle holder/poly doors.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-09-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Moon Shiner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnbo View Post
Would like to know if they have been used in Ranger EV and the performance.
If somebody here used them, we'd probably hear about it. Performance is just numbers. 60Ah is a bit less than half of stock 155Ah, but LFPs have a lot more cycles, deeper discharge profile,
lower weight. LFPs also lose less capacity over time than other Lithium chemistries. I would guesstimate 20-30 miles on a charge from two sets of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Roosted

Right, if someone had used them in the EV, we would probably have seen a post. Interesting option though.

2016 EV Avalanche Grey/Polaris SportRoof/Seizmik Versa-Fold Windshield/Polaris Lock & Ride Pro-Fit Glass Rear Panel/KFI Rear Tube HD Bumper/Great Day Inc Quick Draw Overhead Gun Rack/Seizmik pursuit side view mirrors /Viper Elite 4,500 lb Wide Spool Winch /EZ turn signal and horn kit/Pro Armor SIXR 14"wheels/Grim reapers 26/9.00/R14 front 26/11.00/R14 rear/Super Daves rear A arm outer & rear shock bushings/cargo bed liner/chainsaw holder/gun grabber rifle holder/poly doors.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-15-2019, 05:14 PM
Slow Poke

I asked them some questions today on their chat trying to feel them out:
Me: Do you have kits for a Polaris Ranger EV. It is a 48 volt system with 8 batteries
Them: Yes we do.
Them: So you have a 96V System?
Me: its actually 2 48 volt systems
Me: how do they work? what about the BMS? I guess I could replace the charger .
Them: Ah got it. Each of our batteries have their own BMS. They work exactly the same as the Lead Acid 12V set up. You would not need a new charger.
Me: the charger is a Delta Q and has several algorithyms
Them; Yes. Keep the Delta Q on the 48V Setting. Do you run 48V in series, then parallel to another series of 48V?
Me: I think its just in a seriesdo you have an email address I could send the diagram? I am afraid the Delta Q would have the wrong algorithym
Adam: [email protected]. Yes sent it over. I will take a look and if ok will send you quote that you can review.

i need to replace my batteries so I was looking at options

i didn't get to ask about the physical size

What do you guys think? Legit?
post #6 of 11 Old 07-15-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Moon Shiner

Garage
DeltaQ algorithms for Lead-Acid batteries boil down to charging voltages and currents during different stages of the charge, neither matters here :

1) Charging voltage in that battery has to be regulated, as Lead-Acid charger will put out different voltages during different stages of the charge, while Lithium takes constant charging voltage.
2) DeltaQ can put out about 30A charging current. That's half the maximum charging rate for a 60Ah Lithium battery, and quarter for two sets of them. BMS also protects each battery in terms of overcurrent for both charge and discharge.

Finally, if that makes you uncomfortable, you can have your DeltaQ reprogrammed for Lithium algorithms to pick a specific charging voltage
post #7 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 02:40 AM
Cliff Hanger

Off the shelf DeltaQ algorithms are quite limited. But they will write specials (at a cost). With Lithium you use constant current going to constant Voltage or stop. So the end of CC stage voltage will fix the current used. Being a 1kw charger with say a 50v end of CC stage that would be a 20a charge rate. if 60v that would be 16(ish)amps. Mostly on the ones I have had supplied they limit Lithium charge to around 18a or less. One im using at the moment. Charges to one voltage at constant current. then drops to a second lower constant current, then goes to a final constant voltage. This is to keep the highest charge rate possible for the bulk of the charge. Not a normal approach, but I understand why they do it that way and it does enable the highest charge rate for the longest time.

With these batteries, its also important to know how the internal BMS functions. Since they have no external connections they cannot know what the voltage of the other units in the pack are. If you do use the 12v constant liveon the Ranger while its not turned on that will bleed down the first battery in the string. (Some only have one of these 12v taps connected especially late models) This means that during charge that battery will not reach the same voltage as the rest, unless these batteries has some form of internal shunting capable of taking the full charge current, so allowing the rest to be by passed and the low battery to continue to be charged.

If the charge is at a 20a rate, then thats 10a/ side That means each of the batteries will have to sink 10ax12v or 120w of power internally to enable the pack to get balanced if any of them are not of a matched voltage.

If using something like this its important to parallel them all up for a day to get them all to a similar voltage before installation. Or get them delivered at the same voltage (always check).
If these batteries are Lifepo4 then a battery of 4 cells works quite well with std 12v lead charge voltages. But they have to deal with the overcharge / trickle charge aspect of the Lead charging routines by intenal shunting/ resistors/ solid state devices, and that means heat.
post #8 of 11 Old Today, 12:08 PM
Slow Poke

Their biggest battery is 80 amp. To get their 80 amp hour battery pack, it is about $5,000

Won't the 80 amp batteries be too weak as compared to the 155amp LA batteries?
I came up with a conversion factor of .96kwh for 80 amp to Kwh. That is 7.68 kwh for 8 batteries. is that correct?

If it is, then it is only less $1700 than the Voltronix 8kwh package package at $6700 but they are easier to install.

To get more rangewhich is my goal, the Voltronix 13kwh is around $8700 .

thanks for the help.
post #9 of 11 Old Today, 01:40 PM
Cliff Hanger

The smallest I sell in the UK is a 60v system with 180ah , most are the going as the largest that fits in the std vehicle and thats a 240Ah , or around 14kwh. The higher voltage with less drop under load really makes a difference to the drive. With the lead having two strings of Trojans , its more about having a sufficient capability to discharge than storage capacity, lead voltage drops so heavily under load, you have to have a larger Ah just to cope with under load demands and still have a usable battery votage, as they become virtually unusuable below 10v with a lot of theoretical Ah still unused.
Personally I think 80ah is too small to have a usable vehicle other than a very short trim each day. A small pack will also suffer more under load in very cold temps( around 0c or less)
These will suit some people. I dont see it as a cost effective alternative and would be unlikely to give the same range as a std Lead acid pack, but will last many times the life of lead.
post #10 of 11 Old Today, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Moon Shiner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsparky View Post
Their biggest battery is 80 amp. To get their 80 amp hour battery pack, it is about $5,000

Won't the 80 amp batteries be too weak as compared to the 155amp LA batteries?
I came up with a conversion factor of .96kwh for 80 amp to Kwh. That is 7.68 kwh for 8 batteries. is that correct?

If it is, then it is only less $1700 than the Voltronix 8kwh package package at $6700 but they are easier to install.

To get more rangewhich is my goal, the Voltronix 13kwh is around $8700 .

thanks for the help.
I run my ranger on a 5kW Lithium pack, about 15 miles of range.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger EV