Wrench light comes on, EV wonít move. - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger EV Discussions for the Electric Polaris Ranger EV.
Sponsored by: Voltronix USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 08-02-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Paper Boy

Wrench light comes on, EV wonít move.

We recently bought a used 2011 Ranger EV side by side. My problem is that after a small amount of driving, I turned off the switch to do something when I got back on to go again the wrench shows up and then it wonít go forward or back. It has done this to us twice. After a little while it comes out of it and it begins to work normal again. I have cleaned the battery terminals, checked for loose connections, etc.-canít find the source of the problem. Has anyone had this happen to their EV? HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-02-2019, 10:48 PM
Black Magic

Garage
Do your headlights work?

2014 Ranger EV
Voltronixs USA 200AH Li-ion Conversion kit
Polaris Lock n Ride Roof w dome light, Mictunning 21.5" Light Bar with green cover lenses, Kolpin ľ" Lexan Full Tilting Windshield,
Thunderhawk front mud shields & fender well protectors, Custom front and rear fender flares.
Custom made rear cargo box mud guards, Eagle eye backup lights, ITP Terracross RT Tires (Front 25x8x12 Rear 25x10x12),
Superwinch Terra 1500 Mounted on rear cargo bed
Overhead Gun Rack
post #3 of 24 Old 08-02-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Paper Boy

Yes, Iím pretty sure. Iíll check to make sure tomorrow. Thank you for responding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 08-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Turbo

Could be a faulty main contactor. Does it go clonk then clonk again when you turn it on. Thats the contactor going on then off again. If the controller doesnt see the correct voltage withing a certain time it turns off again, controller is still live but power is not available.

Check what the number of flashes on the sevcon controller are. Under drivers seat, take out the tray and light should be visible.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-03-2019, 06:54 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M. View Post
We recently bought a used 2011 Ranger EV side by side. My problem is that after a small amount of driving, I turned off the switch to do something when I got back on to go again the wrench shows up and then it wonít go forward or back. It has done this to us twice. After a little while it comes out of it and it begins to work normal again. I have cleaned the battery terminals, checked for loose connections, etc.-canít find the source of the problem. Has anyone had this happen to their EV? HELP!

Sounds like this maybe a new machine for you so will mention a basic feature of the EV. After you turn off the key switch then turn it back on you must move the forward, neutral, reverse switch to neutral to deactivate the safety feature. Then move it to forward or reverse. Itís retarded I know but thatís how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #6 of 24 Old 08-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Cannon Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M. View Post
Make sure it is in neutral before you turn off the switch.

The wrench will come on if in forward or reverse when the switch is turned on, but selecting neutral will turn it off.

Also make sure your foot is not on the accelerator when turning the switch on or selecting forward or reverse.

Voltronics 160Ah Li-ion conversion kit is installed in my 2013 EV.

Hold the Control key down and click on a picture or a link, or a Thread, to open it in a new Tab.
post #7 of 24 Old 09-09-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Paper Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyb View Post
Could be a faulty main contactor. Does it go clonk then clonk again when you turn it on. Thats the contactor going on then off again. If the controller doesnt see the correct voltage withing a certain time it turns off again, controller is still live but power is not available.

Check what the number of flashes on the sevcon controller are. Under drivers seat, take out the tray and light should be visible.
Six flashes. The ev use to go for a ways before the wrench light came on. But, now the light comes on within two seconds of turning the switch on. It is in neutral and the accelerator is not touched, and the park brake is off. I don’t know what to do next to fix it.

Last edited by Dan M.; 09-09-2019 at 02:11 AM.
post #8 of 24 Old 09-09-2019, 02:27 PM
Black Magic

Garage
Do the lights work.

2014 Ranger EV
Polaris Lock n Ride Roof w dome light, Mictunning 21.5" Light Bar with green cover lenses, Kolpin ľ" Lexan Full Tilting Windshield,
Thunderhawk front mud shields & fender well protectors, Custom front and rear fender flares.
Custom made rear cargo box mud guards, Eagle eye backup lights, ITP Terracross RT Tires (Front 25x8x12 Rear 25x10x12),
Overhead Gun Rack
post #9 of 24 Old 09-09-2019, 02:27 PM
Black Magic

Garage
Headlights

2014 Ranger EV
Overhead Gun Rack
post #10 of 24 Old 09-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Cannon Ball

Sevcon controller blink codes:

malf ind t g.JPG

Voltronics 160Ah Li-ion conversion kit is installed in my 2013 EV.

Hold the Control key down and click on a picture or a link, or a Thread, to open it in a new Tab.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger EV