DC Fan for motor or controller - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger EV Discussions for the Electric Polaris Ranger EV.
Sponsored by: Voltronix USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-13-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Wholigan

Garage
DC Fan for motor or controller

Is the Polaris EV cooling fan kit still available. Would like to here from those who have installed and know if it helped. Having issues shutting down in this heat.

2014 Ranger EV
Voltronixs USA 200AH Li-ion Conversion kit
Polaris Lock n Ride Roof w dome light, Mictunning 21.5" Light Bar with green cover lenses, Kolpin " Lexan Full Tilting Windshield,
Thunderhawk front mud shields & fender well protectors, Custom front and rear fender flares.
Custom made rear cargo box mud guards, Eagle eye backup lights, ITP Terracross RT Tires (Front 25x8x12 Rear 25x10x12),
Superwinch Terra 1500 Mounted on rear cargo bed
Overhead Gun Rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Moon Shiner

I solved my overheating by putting a 10 cm high speed fan blowing on the back of the controller. Also have a radiator fan blowing on the motor. Both switched on console. I have not had another overheating warning. In the hot weather, there is not enough air moving in the battery compartment to keep the controller from over heating in my experience. Here is the thread with pictures.
https://www.rangerforums.net/forum/p...tml#post129314

2016 EV Avalanche Grey/Polaris SportRoof/Seizmik Versa-Fold Windshield/Polaris Lock & Ride Pro-Fit Glass Rear Panel/KFI Rear Tube HD Bumper/Great Day Inc Quick Draw Overhead Gun Rack/Seizmik pursuit side view mirrors /Viper Elite 4,500 lb Wide Spool Winch /EZ turn signal and horn kit/Pro Armor SIXR 14"wheels/Grim reapers 26/9.00/R14 front 26/11.00/R14 rear/Super Daves rear A arm outer & rear shock bushings/cargo bed liner/chainsaw holder/gun grabber rifle holder/poly doors.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-14-2019, 02:10 AM
Cliff Hanger

I have installed a 10" fan almost under the back of the cab on an alloy plate , this pulled air out from under the seats and also air over the motor.

Im sure the controller is the more important part to cool, as it can quickly rise in temperature. I have also seen one with what seems like an original fitment finned heatsink on the back of the sevcon. It certainly wasnt fitted by the user. But this too could be a good idea, and could simply be fitted with simple computer style fans. When I fit a fan I use a simple temp controller, available on ebay for under 20. I pick up the temp on one of the Sevcon mounting bolts and set the temp controller for about 45C. With a 5c drop required to shut off. That takes account of the higher temp on the bulk of the controller and seems to work OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-14-2019, 05:52 AM
Cliff Hanger

This shows the way I mounted the fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan.jpg (248.6 KB, 6 views)
post #5 of 9 Old 08-14-2019, 07:50 AM
Moon Shiner

I agree with the controller being the most important component to keep cool. When I use my EV for towing, plowing or climbing sleep grades, the controller really heats up in the confined battery space with no air movement and the high current/amps being used opposed to normal trail ridding. Polaris should put a ventilation fan to pull air into the battery compartment across the controller.

2016 EV Avalanche Grey/Polaris SportRoof/Seizmik Versa-Fold Windshield/Polaris Lock & Ride Pro-Fit Glass Rear Panel/KFI Rear Tube HD Bumper/Great Day Inc Quick Draw Overhead Gun Rack/Seizmik pursuit side view mirrors /Viper Elite 4,500 lb Wide Spool Winch /EZ turn signal and horn kit/Pro Armor SIXR 14"wheels/Grim reapers 26/9.00/R14 front 26/11.00/R14 rear/Super Daves rear A arm outer & rear shock bushings/cargo bed liner/chainsaw holder/gun grabber rifle holder/poly doors.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-14-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Wholigan

Garage
Capnbo and Grumpy do you have any links to the fans you installed or CFM for the fans? There are a lot of choices on Amazon and eBay or do most of them move same amount of air depending on size? I think your set ups seem the most economically choices and would be simple to install with switches on the dash. I have a large Blue top marine battery in the front for all my accessories.

2014 Ranger EV
Polaris Lock n Ride Roof w dome light, Mictunning 21.5" Light Bar with green cover lenses, Kolpin " Lexan Full Tilting Windshield,
Thunderhawk front mud shields & fender well protectors, Custom front and rear fender flares.
Custom made rear cargo box mud guards, Eagle eye backup lights, ITP Terracross RT Tires (Front 25x8x12 Rear 25x10x12),
Overhead Gun Rack
post #7 of 9 Old 08-14-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Wholigan

Garage
Grumpy would you give me more details on the temp controller to look for on eBay. What would be the search name.
Is this similar to what u have
8A1EFDB0-2171-4D4E-8B85-3C294F4D579B.jpeg

2014 Ranger EV
Overhead Gun Rack

Last edited by boilermkr; 08-14-2019 at 06:47 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-14-2019, 09:29 PM
Moon Shiner

These 2 links are for similar fans I installed. Could not find the exact ones I used. On the 10 cm for the controller, get the highest CFM you can. The 8" perma-cool for the motor is 2400 CFM. I run these fans, winch and other accessories all day on my Optima 31m battery with plenty of power left at the end of the day.

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/o...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.summitracing.com/search?...electric%20fan

Last edited by capnbo; 08-14-2019 at 09:35 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-15-2019, 02:24 AM
Cliff Hanger

There are loads of 8" fans on ebay, I bought mine from a number of dealers, mostly were supposedly in the UK, but all the same and delivered from China. So my guess is there are actually few real suppliers and all from China. The cost was higher to buy direct from Chinese suppliers, even in quantities. No idea why. They do pull approaching 10amps so you need a decent relay attached to any temp sensor (fans rated at around 80watt). I have used a couple of versions of temp controller. One very small version was under 10 and i have a number that have failed. The link in another post above, is a decent part and are around 20 . These do seem a bit more reliable. You can set the trigger temp, and then how many degrees drop before the fan turns off. This stops the fan constantly going on and off hovering around a fixed temperature. I go for a 5c drop in temp, both for the fan and on other installs where I use liquid cooling on Curtis controllers.
The only criticism I have of the fans is that the plastic housing is a fairly brittle plastic. Hence why I use an alloy panel to mount them on. Gives a nice flat, non twisting mount. So far so good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger EV