Anderson Power Connection - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger EV Discussions for the Electric Polaris Ranger EV.
Sponsored by: Voltronix USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-10-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Wholigan

Garage
Anderson Power Connection

Can anyone suggest a crimping tool for the Anderson 50 amp pins

2014 Ranger EV
Voltronixs USA 200AH Li-ion Conversion kit
Polaris Lock n Ride Roof w dome light, Mictunning 21.5" Light Bar with green cover lenses, Kolpin " Lexan Full Tilting Windshield,
Thunderhawk front mud shields & fender well protectors, Custom front and rear fender flares.
Custom made rear cargo box mud guards, Eagle eye backup lights, ITP Terracross RT Tires (Front 25x8x12 Rear 25x10x12),
Superwinch Terra 1500 Mounted on rear cargo bed
Overhead Gun Rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-10-2019, 08:21 AM
Turbo

I use two, one is a handheld simple hexagonal crimp, mine has 0.213 as a marking, guess thats inches, that works fine.

the other is a handheld Hydraulic like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crimping-To...1835617d82c5af

The larger 16 ton version is a better design, but doesnt normally have small enough crimp dies.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 AM
Puddle Jumper

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Turbo

Be careful what versions you get. Its not about cable size, but the size of the crimp terminal. On the 50a Anderson crimps they use the same size externally but have smaller bores and thicker walls to the crimp. So cable size is not relevant here. You may find one marked at 0AWG isnt large enough.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-14-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Wholigan

Garage
271E7940-4467-4007-A6D9-F5D3CFBE0B95.jpeg

Remembered I had a crimping tool I use making cables and tried it. Did good.

2014 Ranger EV
Polaris Lock n Ride Roof w dome light, Mictunning 21.5" Light Bar with green cover lenses, Kolpin " Lexan Full Tilting Windshield,
Thunderhawk front mud shields & fender well protectors, Custom front and rear fender flares.
Custom made rear cargo box mud guards, Eagle eye backup lights, ITP Terracross RT Tires (Front 25x8x12 Rear 25x10x12),
Overhead Gun Rack
post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 03:40 AM
Turbo

Good call looks a nice tool. Some are not so good and make the pins a bit too distorted to get in the housing.
post #7 of 9 Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Wholigan

Garage
Exactly, That was my first concern but they went together fine. When crimping the one attached to the harness is tricky trying to hold the wire in the pin and hit it w/o the tool jumping. Best w two people.

2014 Ranger EV
Overhead Gun Rack
post #8 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
Turbo

Sometimes its easier to do the tricky bits like larger crimps off the vehicle with a new lead and then just splice the new connector/ lead into the loom by a solder splice and shrink sleeve. On this location I do an entirely new cable for the attachment to the contactor, all made off vehicle then just do the anderson onto a new lead and splice that in. I do have a hand crimp tool for this crimp size and thats also a really easy thing to do on vehicle. Depends what I have to hand when doing it. On my Latest Li ion conversions I add an entirely new cable (way over the top at 16mm2) from the contactor to the charger. with a large maxi blade fuse holder. This also feeds a permanent pack voltage for the new volt/ % meter I fit.

With a li ion pack more of the charge is usable so if used that can mean longer charge times than a lead pack, even at std charger rates, the longer power flow on the poor connector at the contactor can see them fail, they just stay hot for longer with a longer charge duration.

I now offer a kit of parts in the UK for the failing connector, this is a single pole Anderson one side with a short cable and 8mm crimp lug, and a short cable with crimp connector. Yoi really need this as the cable length when the old connector is cut off is a bit too short, so adding a few inches makes it all a lit easier and the Anderson is so much longer than the std connector.
post #9 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Wholigan

Garage
You are spot on considered doing the to the harness side cause as you said it makes it really short. next one I think i'll try that and may redo this one. As it is a 2015 and the access is very limited.

2014 Ranger EV
Overhead Gun Rack

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger EV