I've checked everything! Please help! - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger Midsize 500 New Midsize model discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Spectator

I've checked everything! Please help!

My '15 Ranger 400HO starts and runs perfectly, as always.
Lately it will run just fine for maybe 15-20 minutes then it will stutter and stall and then quit just as though it's out of gas.
If I let it sit for a while, maybe 20 minutes, it starts fine and runs again - for a while.

I have checked the fuel tank, the fuel pump, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the small screen in the fuel tank feed line, drained the carb, checked the breather in the fuel cap and the tank and the 2 breathers in the carb, cleaned the air filter and checked everything else I can think of in the fuel system.
Pulling the choke doesn't change anything while it's stuttering.+
No luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Check the pulser coil and cdi unit and the ignition coil and wire..

2017 Ranger 900 XP
2015 Ace 570
post #3 of 5 Old 08-19-2019, 05:43 PM
Gear Grinder

Yea what rockit401 said. See if there is spark when it quits and if not its probably one of the above mentioned. Kinda sounds like coil getting hot and loosing contact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Spectator

Had that problem all summer. Ended up being a cracked stator. Ran great till warm then loos spark for 20 min then fire and run till warm again
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 07:35 AM
Couch Potato

Garage
Engine Overheating?

Might be a long shot, but something similar was happening to me a few weeks ago. Turns out the engine was overheating and shutting down for self preservation. Letting it sit for a while cooled it down enough that it would start back up until it got too hot - rinse repeat.

I couldn't figure out what was wrong - the fan was coming on. When I watched the coolant levels after the fan would kick on, they would lower, so the tstat was working. I burped the radiator, changed the coolant, checked oil - everything I could think of. I started riding around with the engine temp up on the display, and started to notice that when the temp would hit 204 the fan would kick on and lower the temp back down to about 194, but then it did something weird. It would let the temp get up to about 210, then the fan would kick on but switch back off when it got back down to about 200. Then it would wait until 215, kick on, and lower it back down to about 205, then turn off. It would eventually let the temp get up WAY too high without any intervention from the fan. When I googled those symptoms, I very quickly learned that it was the inline 20A circuit breaker for the fan - it was corroded and not working properly. One trip to O'Reilly Auto Parts, about $8, and 20 minutes later and I was back in business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Midsize 500