Polaris Oem half doors - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger XP1000 Discussions for the all new Polaris Ranger XP1000

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-30-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Polaris Oem half doors

So I was tired of waiting for the polaris steel half doors (that were supposed to be out in november) and bit the bullet and ordered the composite half doors. They are very nice doors and I am quite happy with the way they look, but there's a couple things that left me scratching my head. First I'm dissapointed that I have to unbolt a hinge to remove the doors. I was under the impression that once it was mounted square you could simply remove a limiter strap and lift it off the hinges. It's not a huge deal but makes reinstalling after taking them off a little more of a pain. Second, they are suicide doors and come with no sort of limiter strap like the full doors to keeps them from swinging all the way open and bending the hinge hardware. I added some straps from an old ratchet strap I cut up but am disappointed that polaris couldn't include something for $1300. Third, the doors are lockable from the outside , but when you lock them you can still open them from the inside latch! This to me is by far the worst design of the whole door. There is no way to lock out the inside latch so if you hit a bump while trail riding and accidently hit the latch (which is very likely because of the location) the door is going to fly open! This problem is even worse if you haven't added limiter straps because your going to definitely damage your doors. Why even add the locks if you can simply reach in and use the inside door handle? I can deal with the first problem, and I've fixed the second, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for the 3rd? Is there anyway I can make the locking mechanism disable the inside handle as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-31-2019, 04:47 AM
Pit Stop

Garage
We have had the same doors since day one and the latch is very good. It has never popped open on it own.
Other than to try it , I have never locked them either.
I did have a sign company put stripes on the door just for better looks.
I also made removable upper windo frames for them.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-31-2019, 05:39 AM
Sunday Driver

I feel your pain on the hinge issue and the locks, but in hindsight it will keep someone from quickly walking off with your doors. Yes the locks are useless, maybe this summer I will pull the assy apart to see if there is a mod or fix to lock inside as well as the outside.

2018 Ranger XP 1000 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-31-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

I'm not worried about my side so much as the passenger door. Hopefully it never happens but I can't help but worry that someone accidentally hits the latch and it comes open going 40 mph or faster! I would love to see pics of the windows you built for the top half if you have any tho, I have considered doing something like that if I can figure it out. If you do take the latch assembly apart and figure out a way to lock it out, I would appreciate an update! Thanks fellas!!
post #5 of 12 Old 02-03-2019, 08:06 AM
Pit Stop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by punger666 View Post
I'm not worried about my side so much as the passenger door. Hopefully it never happens but I can't help but worry that someone accidentally hits the latch and it comes open going 40 mph or faster! I would love to see pics of the windows you built for the top half if you have any tho, I have considered doing something like that if I can figure it out. If you do take the latch assembly apart and figure out a way to lock it out, I would appreciate an update! Thanks fellas!!

Here are some pictures of the uppers doors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180821_182817.jpg (3.95 MB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20180821_182834.jpg (4.01 MB, 34 views)
post #6 of 12 Old 02-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Weekender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20181000xpTND View Post
Here are some pictures of the uppers doors.
I made similar door tops for my 2015 Ranger. Because the OEM half door structure is a little flimsy my door tops bang against the rops frame when I ride over bumps at moderate speed or faster.
Do yours do the same or have you found a cure
post #7 of 12 Old 02-04-2019, 07:35 AM
Pit Stop

Garage
The polaris half doors are pretty solid. But we do get some movement. We have the door frames bent in to make pressure on the top of the door opening. We don't use them in warmer weather . If we know it is going rain hard we might put them in.
jasonu likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-08-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Flat Tire

Door tops look great! I need to make something similar for mine. I love riding in the snow but a little too cold on some days with just the half doors.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-10-2019, 07:06 AM
Pit Stop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by punger666 View Post
Door tops look great! I need to make something similar for mine. I love riding in the snow but a little too cold on some days with just the half doors.
We are lucky enough to have a friend that had a big metal table and room in his shop to help bend the rod. We made a card board template first. Then we heated the rod as we bent it. Except for the pieces that go into the door. It is one piece of rod. I had to smooth everything up before we attached the plastic. For the jeep pockets in the door. I have some pieces of pcv pipe for added support.
jasonu likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-10-2019, 06:46 PM
Weekender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20181000xpTND View Post
We are lucky enough to have a friend that had a big metal table and room in his shop to help bend the rod. We made a card board template first. Then we heated the rod as we bent it. Except for the pieces that go into the door. It is one piece of rod. I had to smooth everything up before we attached the plastic. For the jeep pockets in the door. I have some pieces of pcv pipe for added support.
Can you post pictures of the finished product?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger XP1000