900 Ranger top Speed? - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger XP900 Discussions for the all new Polaris Ranger XP900

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-03-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Spectator

900 Ranger top Speed?

my question is, Can a worn drive belt lessen the top speed of my Ranger?
I have a 2013 900 XP EPS , My top speed is 45 MPH. Is this average? I do NOT need it to do 60 MPH, But I have been told that it should be faster the 45.
If a drive belt would not do this, what other things might I check?
Thank You, for any help::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Hog Chaser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnewrider View Post
I have a 2013 900 XP EPS , My top speed is 45 MPH. Is this average? I do NOT need it to do 60 MPH, But I have been told that it should be faster the 45.
I had a worn drive belt on a Sportsman 500, and it slipped a lot so would imagine if it is worn to the extent that it can't grab, I believe yes it would slip thereby decreasing top speed. I would try changing it since it can't hurt to have a new one. Just make sure you break it in according to the manufacturers recommendations.

My two cents

2018 Ranger XP 900 Camo
Memphis MXA4.45Extreme Audio Top
48" Front LED Bar, 12" rear LED Bar
6500lb Tungsten Winch
post #3 of 20 Old 05-06-2018, 09:04 PM
Moon Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnewrider View Post

Is it a crew or a 3 seater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Mechanic

My 2018 Ranger 900 3 seater reached 60mph without problem and still think it could go even faster lol.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-18-2018, 06:39 PM
Couch Potato

2019 ranger crew 900xp hits about 53 then the limiter holds it

post #6 of 20 Old 09-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Mountaineer

Yup.

Think about it. The primary and secondary can only squish together so close. Once the belt wears to a point the pulley can no longer "grab" it, it will slip. Five years is a decent lifespan for a belt. Simply driving along on the street will wear the belt as it jams into the pulley and then pops out to go to the next pulley where it jams in all over again. Pulley drives like these account for the largest percentage of power loss. I have heard for a 60 hp engine, the rear wheels only see around 40-45 hp. That is a big loss.

But, they are cheap and reliable, if treated well. And, they are easy to replace.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-28-2018, 06:39 PM
Paper Boy

Well up until a few days ago my top end was over 50. Not anymore. Something has crapped out. I was complaining about funny noise coming from the rear end and now the thing is lagging badly. Hey what can you expect for 15 grand? A clutch and transmission that last a whole year? Unreasonable I guess. I am not a happy camper. RPM clamps at abuot 6500 or so but the top end in low is just over 20 and in high just slightly over 40. I am a total ignoramus when it comes to these clutch and transmission systems but if I had to guess it seems like something is hungup not able to finish the transfer ratio change. Plenty of power getting there but then blahhhhh.. It just pigs along.

I have heard these thing have a "fantastic" clutch and transmission system. I suppose I'll have to cart this thing 45 miles to the dealer but this is about the last polaris I am going to gamble on. Really for just a year and under 200 miles without being beat on or doing heavy lifting I am not impressed.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-28-2018, 06:50 PM
Moon Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka1jy View Post
Well up until a few days ago my top end was over 50. Not anymore. Something has crapped out. I was complaining about funny noise coming from the rear end and now the thing is lagging badly. Hey what can you expect for 15 grand? A clutch and transmission that last a whole year? Unreasonable I guess. I am not a happy camper. RPM clamps at abuot 6500 or so but the top end in low is just over 20 and in high just slightly over 40. I am a total ignoramus when it comes to these clutch and transmission systems but if I had to guess it seems like something is hungup not able to finish the transfer ratio change. Plenty of power getting there but then blahhhhh.. It just pigs along.

I have heard these thing have a "fantastic" clutch and transmission system. I suppose I'll have to cart this thing 45 miles to the dealer but this is about the last polaris I am going to gamble on. Really for just a year and under 200 miles without being beat on or doing heavy lifting I am not impressed.

The clutch system is pretty simple. If you pm me Ill give you my cell and walk you through some things to check. Id gladly try to help and save your trip to the dealer. All you need is a very basic socket set to check the clutches.

post #9 of 20 Old 09-28-2018, 06:53 PM
Paper Boy

I also can't seem to get the rpm up over about 6500. It almost feels rev limited. I swear this motor used to rev up a bit more than this. Kick me down the steps if I'm dreaming but I thought I was seeing over 7500.... So much for that rodeo.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-28-2018, 07:43 PM
Paper Boy

Yeah so 7800 in a heartbeat no load. (man i hate digital tachs) It would probably go more but dang it isn't exactly a puring motor. Loud and not pretty sounding. Egh. The racket this thing makes still makes me nervous. Anyway I'm thinking it might hit 79 or even more no load. But get it moving and it jumps up and then sort of "holds" back. Just like the way a limiter feels. Exactly like it feels with the seatbelt disconnected at about 15mph. Everything sounds fine and it feels like it is going to go but then BOGGG. Even down hill when I would expect the rpm to go up even if it is slipping or not changing gear ratios. It definitely feels like some sort of limiter. If it was my dodge I would say it was a speed sensor in the tranny but no check engine light or anything like that. I never look at the display. I noticed today scrolling around when I get to temp it says E 189. Ah. "E" is for engine? I never look at these displays. : ) Can ya tell?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger XP900