Which winch to get as of 2018? - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger XP900 Discussions for the all new Polaris Ranger XP900

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-10-2018, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Which winch to get as of 2018?

So I'm a newbie to the side by sides. I just recently bought a new 2018 Ranger 900 XP and I'm looking to install a winch but I'm just not sure which one to get.

I don't plan on using the winch a lot but it's mainly going to be used for plowing but during the rest of the year sometimes I might drag trees that have fell around property. Might be handy for use on the trail, never know what might happen or if someone needs to be winched out. Either way, a winch is a must have regardless.

I had a Warn winch on my 2006 Honda Foreman and I abused that winch like crazy and it never failed once, expect I broke the cable a few times during plowing but that was it. I pulled full size railroad ties with it, flipped over a 7x12 boxed steel trailer. I did a lot of crazy stuff with it through the years. But from what I'm understanding now, Warn winches are not what they used to be.

I originally was going to get a KFI 4500lbs winch kit because it came with everything you needed including the mount, wiring and dash switch. I guess KFI makes just okay winches but their mounting bracket is very good from what I hear.

So I plan on getting the KFI mounting bracket and for a winch, I'm undecided which one to get. There is many discussions on them and not really a clear answer.

I did narrow it down between a Viper winch and Superwinch. I have a Superwinch in my enclosed car hauler that has always worked great but that winch is huge and the cable is huge haha and I'm sure its built different than ATV/UTV winches.

I'm leaning toward the Viper winch by Motoalliance mainly because they do sell it as a complete kit with all the color coded wiring, dash rocker switch and they use stainless mounting hardware. But I'm concerned about the aluminium drum as I heard they can fail whereas the Superwinch uses steel drum. Then again, people had both fail on them. So I really don't know what to do!

If I go with the Viper, it would be the Viper Max Wide Spool 6000lbs or the regular Viper Max 5000lbs steel cable. I don't know which one is better, I heard some like the wide spool winches better. I just don't know how well they fit on the Ranger 900. My guess is that they fit fine?

If I go with a Superwinch, it would be the Tera 45. But it doesn't come with a dash rocker switch, so I'd have to get that seperate.

I think for I do, the 6000lbs winch is an overkill but then again, it doesn't hurt to have overkill, right? I'd probably be fine with the 5000 regular Max winch however.

I know some prefer the synthetic rope and some prefer the traditional steel cable. I'm leaning toward the steel cable because of its durability for like dragging trees but mainly because of the cost. Steel cable winches are far more affordable for me but I'll consider synthetic rope if it's really worth the extra money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind spending a little bit of money if the winch is going to be good.

Thank you!

Last edited by nerwin; 06-10-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-10-2018, 08:58 PM
Slow Poke

Well I just finished installing a Badlands 5,000 lb winch on my 2018 XP90 Crew. (Harbor Freight) I did this after talking to a Polaris mechanic who told me that in that range they were pretty much all made in China and you won't find much (if any) difference. So after reading lots of reviews I went with his recommendation.

FWIW, a dash rocker switch can be gotten for about $12, so it should not be a deal breaker. Most UTV winches come with a mini rocker switch for a handlebar mount, so you will already have the wiring.

Like you I drag trees and lots of things, and often across rocky ground. I am a bit afraid of switching to synthetic rope, so for now I am staying with steel.

I do recommend the KFI mount kit for the xp900. It went on well.

One thing you may want to keep a close eye on is the size of the fairlead. You will need one with holes that are 6" apart. The one I got had holes that were 6 1/2" apart, which meant it had to be modified. Even then, there are plenty of them out there that are inexpensive that will fit. But it is a lot less trouble if you don't have to modify anything.

I did it alone, but I recommend inviting a friend over to help hold wrenches, remove and install the bumper, etc.

Best wishes and good luck on the install!

Last edited by kboyd62; 06-10-2018 at 09:04 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-11-2018, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboyd62 View Post
Well I just finished installing a Badlands 5,000 lb winch on my 2018 XP90 Crew. (Harbor Freight) I did this after talking to a Polaris mechanic who told me that in that range they were pretty much all made in China and you won't find much (if any) difference. So after reading lots of reviews I went with his recommendation.

FWIW, a dash rocker switch can be gotten for about $12, so it should not be a deal breaker. Most UTV winches come with a mini rocker switch for a handlebar mount, so you will already have the wiring.

Like you I drag trees and lots of things, and often across rocky ground. I am a bit afraid of switching to synthetic rope, so for now I am staying with steel.

I do recommend the KFI mount kit for the xp900. It went on well.

One thing you may want to keep a close eye on is the size of the fairlead. You will need one with holes that are 6" apart. The one I got had holes that were 6 1/2" apart, which meant it had to be modified. Even then, there are plenty of them out there that are inexpensive that will fit. But it is a lot less trouble if you don't have to modify anything.

I did it alone, but I recommend inviting a friend over to help hold wrenches, remove and install the bumper, etc.

Best wishes and good luck on the install!
So basically you're saying at this price point, there is no right or wrong? haha.

I guess I should go with my gut. Man this is a tough decision!

Random thoughts on the fairleads. I heard with steel cable, you can use either a roller fairlead or a hawse. I do like the look of the hawse better but I wanna say the roller fairlead is better for the cable.

Last edited by nerwin; 06-11-2018 at 05:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Hog Chaser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerwin View Post
So basically you're saying at this price point, there is no right or wrong? haha.

I guess I should go with my gut. Man this is a tough decision!

Random thoughts on the fairleads. I heard with steel cable, you can use either a roller fairlead or a hawse. I do like the look of the hawse better but I wanna say the roller fairlead is better for the cable.
I installed a Tungsten 6500 with a KFI mount. I removed the cable and put the synthetic in with a custom splice black anodized Hawse. I wouldn't use a Hawse with a cable because it is made for rope. If you use it a lot with cable it will create groves in it and more than likely damage the cable. I have pulled everything I ever need with the synthetic (have one on my 850 Sportsman too), and it is way easier to work with especially if you get a fray in your cable. I think Harbor frieght sells both the synthetic cable and Hawse.

Good luck in any case

2018 Ranger XP 900 Camo
Memphis MXA4.45Extreme Audio Top
48" Front LED Bar, 12" rear LED Bar
6500lb Tungsten Winch
post #5 of 11 Old 06-11-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic

I think I might just go with my gut and grab the KFI mounting plate and the Viper Max Wide Spool 6000 LBS with steel cable. I don't use a winch all the time and steel will just last longer overall for what I'm doing. But I can always switch it out for a rope if I ever decided to do so!

I'm going to grab a OTRATTW momentary rocker switch too to match the stock switches (this will satisfy my OCD, hahahaha).

I've spent hours and hours on winch research and from what I understand, it doesn't matter what you go with. Everyone loves superwinch, viper, warn, venom, badlands, etc and everyone has equal amount of problems too.

I'm just hoping the Viper Max Wide Spool will mount on the KFI mount because its not listed on KFI's website but I the bolt patterns seem to be same so shouldn't be a issue. Others have used Viper winches on KFI mounts for the Ranger and they worked fine so unless they changed it for 2018, I'm going to roll with it.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. 6,000 lbs winch may be a overkill but heck it.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-11-2018, 10:03 AM
Hog Chaser

Garage
Quote:
I think I might just go with my gut and grab the KFI mounting plate and the Viper Max Wide Spool 6000 LBS with steel cable. I don't use a winch all the time and steel will just last longer overall for what I'm doing. But I can always switch it out for a rope if I ever decided to do so!

I'm going to grab a OTRATTW momentary rocker switch too to match the stock switches (this will satisfy my OCD, hahahaha).

I've spent hours and hours on winch research and from what I understand, it doesn't matter what you go with. Everyone loves superwinch, viper, warn, venom, badlands, etc and everyone has equal amount of problems too.

I'm just hoping the Viper Max Wide Spool will mount on the KFI mount because its not listed on KFI's website but I the bolt patterns seem to be same so shouldn't be a issue. Others have used Viper winches on KFI mounts for the Ranger and they worked fine so unless they changed it for 2018, I'm going to roll with it.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. 6,000 lbs winch may be a overkill but heck it.
That's why I chose Tungsten. They are out of China, like most, and my friend, who use to run the Mile Marker facility in China now has this brand, and you're right...they're all about the same, just depends on the type of steel they use mostly. China copies everything...

Good luck!

2018 Ranger XP 900 Camo
Memphis MXA4.45Extreme Audio Top
48" Front LED Bar, 12" rear LED Bar
6500lb Tungsten Winch
post #7 of 11 Old 06-11-2018, 07:46 PM
Slow Poke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassmannn View Post
That's why I chose Tungsten. They are out of China, like most, and my friend, who use to run the Mile Marker facility in China now has this brand, and you're right...they're all about the same, just depends on the type of steel they use mostly. China copies everything...

Good luck!

I agree. One of the reasons I went with the Badlands is because Harbor Freight does sell a wireless remote that works with it, which I got. Much easier than the wired one to use, and I did not want to drill a hole in the Ranger. The Tungsten is probably nearly the identical winch inside.

And to the OP, never use anything but a roller fairlead with steel cable. I have seen them used with synthetic as well, but some claim they can pinch synthetic rope and break it. Possibly so, but I have never seen it personally.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-12-2018, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Quote:
I agree. One of the reasons I went with the Badlands is because Harbor Freight does sell a wireless remote that works with it, which I got. Much easier than the wired one to use, and I did not want to drill a hole in the Ranger. The Tungsten is probably nearly the identical winch inside.

And to the OP, never use anything but a roller fairlead with steel cable. I have seen them used with synthetic as well, but some claim they can pinch synthetic rope and break it. Possibly so, but I have never seen it personally.
I kind of figured that. Can't always believe what the internet says haha.

I'm always skeptical on wireless controls, they always have a higher chance of failing in my opinion. But other people are quite happy with them too.

I've seen a few people mount the remote receptacle for the extended handheld control in the glove box or somewhere out of the way. I mean it's not a big deal if I gotta drill hole. Going to be installing switches anyways.

I'll consider the Badlands though. But I've pretty much settled on the Viper Max Wide Spool 6000. I do like the stainless hardware it comes with and I guess the installation is easier than most winches...but then again....aren't they kind of all the same install procedure?! Haha. I never installed a winch before so this will be a learning process and probably take a good day to do it. I want to take my time and do it right and rush through it. I had the dealership install the Warn winch on my Honda Foreman many years ago and it looked damn near factory and clean which is what I want to achieve.

Now under the hood on the Ranger there is a battery terminal spot for accessories but nothing in the manual that explains how how it works. There is only one wire going to it which is coming off the right headlight. The guy at the dealership said there should be reason to run wires directly to the battery. Everything can be connected to this terminal block. Just a little confused.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-12-2018, 10:47 PM
Slow Poke

Quote:
I kind of figured that. Can't always believe what the internet says haha.

Now under the hood on the Ranger there is a battery terminal spot for accessories but nothing in the manual that explains how how it works. There is only one wire going to it which is coming off the right headlight. The guy at the dealership said there should be reason to run wires directly to the battery. Everything can be connected to this terminal block. Just a little confused.

I did run the main wires directly to the battery. Mine is a crew, and I'm not sure which yours is. It is a long run for the crew, though. KFI recommends getting their cable extension set, which I did, and I was glad I did.

You are right in that there is little in the way of explanation. I am sure the stealership likes it that way. After doing some experimentation with the included switch, I found out that the one wire that is already connected to the block is a switched power spot. So it works great if you need switched power. I got the rocker switch in for the dash today and will let you know how that goes.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-13-2018, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Quote:
I did run the main wires directly to the battery. Mine is a crew, and I'm not sure which yours is. It is a long run for the crew, though. KFI recommends getting their cable extension set, which I did, and I was glad I did.

You are right in that there is little in the way of explanation. I am sure the stealership likes it that way. After doing some experimentation with the included switch, I found out that the one wire that is already connected to the block is a switched power spot. So it works great if you need switched power. I got the rocker switch in for the dash today and will let you know how that goes.
Ok awesome.

I just have the standard full size ranger. I don't think I need the extension wires for this model.

Can't you run the winch of a switched power source?
Macke likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger XP900