I don't know what lightbar to get... - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger XP900 Discussions for the all new Polaris Ranger XP900

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 09-20-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic

I don't know what lightbar to get...

So I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what light bar to get for my 2018 900.

I originally was looking at getting the Auxbeam 50" Curved 288W lightbar and using the EMP brackets which sets it just below the roof line but after reading some reviews from people saying it caught fire and or melted.

I guess it uses 14ga wire but apparently it needs to minimal of 12ga. Sure it's easy to make my own harness BUT the wires inside the unit are probably still 14ga anyways.

I don't know, I feel skeptical now using these lower budget light bars but I just don't have the funds for a expensive Rigid or the Motoalliance lightbar. I know, I know...you get what you pay for. So maybe I wont get a roof mount lightbar. Sure I could get a smaller one but then I'd have to mount it on the roof which I really don't wanna do because I'm afraid it will get snagged on something. I'd rather it be below the roof line. The Ranger is tall enough as it is.

However, I really need better lighting for plowing this coming winter. I thought about getting a 12" light bar and mounting it just below the Polaris logo in the small grill opening area and upgrading the stock headlights to LED which might provide enough light to make it safe.

The other idea would be to get a smaller light bar like a 42" or maybe even smaller and just make extension pieces for the EMP brackets that way the light bar would sit in the middle.

I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to set my new Ranger on fire because of a cheap product. So any suggestions that are safe but yet affordable would be awesome. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-20-2018, 01:42 PM
Slow Poke

All I have is a 21 inch Cheapo from Amazon. It's not an Auxbeam but a Liteway. Very bright for only 144 watt. I mounted it to the roof, and no issues at all. I just can't see spending big bucks for a Riggid or someother big brand. Everyone around hear runs the Amazon cheap stuff with no issues at all. I've Never heard of one catching fire before.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-20-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDog View Post
All I have is a 21 inch Cheapo from Amazon. It's not an Auxbeam but a Liteway. Very bright for only 144 watt. I mounted it to the roof, and no issues at all. I just can't see spending big bucks for a Riggid or someother big brand. Everyone around hear runs the Amazon cheap stuff with no issues at all. I've Never heard of one catching fire before.
I'm actually just thinking about getting a small 20 inch bar for the bumper and avoid having a large light bar on the roof just to keep the wiring simple. I'll upgrade the headlights to LED too which should give me better light output than the stock ones and that should be all I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-20-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Mechanic

I'm looking at this light bar now which I quite like the design of. Not many reviews but a few people mentioned it worked great on their side by side.

http://a.co/d/9amjR43

I'm just unsure about wiring. So much conflicting information, the charts say I need like 8 ga wire which is just ridiculous. I don't believe these light bars are really 250 watts. So I probably would be fine with 14 gauge wiring. But I don't know.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-22-2018, 06:15 AM
Slow Poke

Agreed, 14 gauge is fine for this type of light. I used 14 on my 144 watt light, and 14 gauge on another side X side with a 244 watt light. I used 16 gauge on my small back up cube lights.
My only caution with a full width 51 inch light is bush wacking. A lot of trails I use are grown in on the sides, meaning the edges of the roof hit a lot of brush. Other wise I would love a 50 inch light bar. Damn, I could light up tomorrow with that puppy!!! Good luck with the install, post a picture when your done..
post #6 of 23 Old 09-22-2018, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Just look for the cree led's and you'll be fine..
nerwin likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-22-2018, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDog View Post
Agreed, 14 gauge is fine for this type of light. I used 14 on my 144 watt light, and 14 gauge on another side X side with a 244 watt light. I used 16 gauge on my small back up cube lights.
My only caution with a full width 51 inch light is bush wacking. A lot of trails I use are grown in on the sides, meaning the edges of the roof hit a lot of brush. Other wise I would love a 50 inch light bar. Damn, I could light up tomorrow with that puppy!!! Good luck with the install, post a picture when your done..
It says its 51" but I bet it's actually 50". I'll find out Tuesday! I figured for the price, I'll try it and because who knows it could be an awesome bar or it could be a complete fail but its fulfilled by Amazon so I can return it if it's crappy. I've seen quite a few have good luck with these chinese/ebay lights so I'm willing to give it a shot.
post #8 of 23 Old 09-24-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Mechanic

So while I wait for goodies for the Ranger to arrive, I decided to move my rear pod lights. I saw that the Canvas doors used those rear attachment points so what I did was mounted the lights where the two bolts go through to hold the roof on. It was nearly a perfect fit! I actually had to grind down the bolts just a little to make them fit in the bracket the pod lights came with. But I didn't have to drill any holes into the plastic and bolts were plenty long enough.

I haven't ran the wiring yet because I don't have the wire yet! Hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday. But I thought I'd share a picture. It's really a great spot for them and they won't be sticking out the sides as much as they were before. The only thing is that it might make it slightly more difficult to take the window in/out but I haven't tried yet, it might be fine.

My friend gave me this cool punisher emblem, couldn't figure out where it put it so I put it on the roof, the spot was just asking for something lol.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Erwin-180924-25060.jpg (540.5 KB, 113 views)
Tizzy likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

I put a 40 inch lightbar on top of my roof. It came with everything need to install. I didn't like the harness, as I
wanted a good rocker switch in the dash. The 40 inch lightbar gives off more light than you can imagine. When
you look for the lightbar choose one that uses 180 watts of power vs 240... You will save a lot on battery usage.
I shopped online and the total cost of lightbar and harness was under $68.00. The 40 inch lightbar is less prone
to damage to low hanging branches, and I should know as I am rough on my Ranger, taking it into places

unknown to common man.
nerwin likes this.

2013 Polaris Ranger 900 XP Camo
Blue Sea #5025 Fuse Block w/Neg. Bus
Seizmik rearview + Side view mirrors
MotoAlliance Firestorm Cab heater w/defrost
MotoAlliance Viper 4000 lb winch 1/4" syn rope
Rockford Fosgate radio and speakers
40 inch led lightbar / Glass windshield, poly rear
27 inch Mud Gear Innova tires / Beast Eyes
Rear EMT bumper / 4 inch lift kit

Ranger put the word laughter in slaughter..
post #10 of 23 Old 09-25-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster View Post
I put a 40 inch lightbar on top of my roof. It came with everything need to install. I didn't like the harness, as I
wanted a good rocker switch in the dash. The 40 inch lightbar gives off more light than you can imagine. When
you look for the lightbar choose one that uses 180 watts of power vs 240... You will save a lot on battery usage.
I shopped online and the total cost of lightbar and harness was under $68.00. The 40 inch lightbar is less prone
to damage to low hanging branches, and I should know as I am rough on my Ranger, taking it into places

unknown to common man.
The one I got is probably to big. I'll most likely return this one and get a smaller one but we'll see. It's pretty compact single row light bar so if I can't get it to work, I'll get smaller.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger XP900