Manual wiper? - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger XP900 Discussions for the all new Polaris Ranger XP900

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-30-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic
 
nerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Vermont
Posts: 79
Manual wiper?

Anyone have a manual wiper blade system for theirs? I'm thinking about installing one on mine.

I don't have a glass windshield but I do have the Polaris hard coated windshield with the flip out vents and it says wiper ready so I'm assuming they are safe to use. But I've found quite a few manual wiper systems out there but they all kind of have mixed reviews and I want to know what's the best one for the Ranger.

I know Motoalliance sells a universal electric one but it's only a small blade and it only clears 90 degrees. Not that useful to me!

EMP has one that has a 16" blade which would be more useful and it looks like you can change the blade to whatever you want which is more practical. I think some put even larger ones on. https://extrememetalproducts.com/i-2...elds-only.html

So if anyone here has a manual wiper for their hard coated windshield or even glass, what did you get and how do you like them?

Thanks
nerwin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 10-30-2018, 08:55 AM
Gear Grinder
 
jobo2856's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Rayne, Louisiana
Posts: 206
Garage
The one from EMP works well. Buddy has it on his with no complaints.
nerwin likes this.

2016 - Ranger 900XP Highlifter Edition
jobo2856 is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 10-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Slow Poke
 
RangerDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 30
If you are using the wiper for rain only, that might be OK. I've had a couple of hard coated windshields and they require much TLC when cleaning to keep them from getting all scratched up. I think a wiper to remove mud, dirt, dust, and water will scratch the crap out of your hard coated windshield in no time.
RangerDog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 10-30-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic
 
nerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Vermont
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDog View Post
If you are using the wiper for rain only, that might be OK. I've had a couple of hard coated windshields and they require much TLC when cleaning to keep them from getting all scratched up. I think a wiper to remove mud, dirt, dust, and water will scratch the crap out of your hard coated windshield in no time.
I only really need it for winter when I'm plowing, doubt I'll ever use it during trailing riding unless I got stuck in the rain.
nerwin is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 10-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Weekender
 
Bluenozer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 100
Garage
forklift wiper systems fit perfectly
lots of old forklifts laying around , also they have rear wipers too and most people don't use it so it shouldn't be missed

2011 Ranger 800xp
14" Rims
26" Maxxis Tires(Big Horn)
2" Highlifter lift
SuperATV steering rack
SuperATV ARD axles
Bluenozer is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 10-30-2018, 08:03 PM
Paper Boy
 
chrismorlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerwin View Post
Anyone have a manual wiper blade system for theirs? I'm thinking about installing one on mine.

I don't have a glass windshield but I do have the Polaris hard coated windshield with the flip out vents and it says wiper ready so I'm assuming they are safe to use. But I've found quite a few manual wiper systems out there but they all kind of have mixed reviews and I want to know what's the best one for the Ranger.

I know Motoalliance sells a universal electric one but it's only a small blade and it only clears 90 degrees. Not that useful to me!

EMP has one that has a 16" blade which would be more useful and it looks like you can change the blade to whatever you want which is more practical. I think some put even larger ones on. https://extrememetalproducts.com/i-2...elds-only.html

So if anyone here has a manual wiper for their hard coated windshield or even glass, what did you get and how do you like them?

Thanks

EMP one here. I haven't used it much yet, but can't beat the price. I too will be using mine for plowing or heavy rains. I swapped out their included 11-12" blade for a 21" one I had from my truck. It's attached in the middle at the bottom of the windshield. It clears almost the whole shield of my midsize.
Sledder1 and nerwin like this.
chrismorlo is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 10-31-2018, 03:16 PM
Gear Grinder
 
rock2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 218
I had one on an old Rzr I had and it was a pain in the ass. Besides scratching the hard coat windshield if you were ever in the rain you and to lean ahead and run the wiper the hole time or you couldn’t see. In my opinion hard coat windshields and manual wipers are a waste of money but they will work if you want them.
rock2100 is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 10-31-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Mechanic
 
nerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Vermont
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock2100 View Post
I had one on an old Rzr I had and it was a pain in the ass. Besides scratching the hard coat windshield if you were ever in the rain you and to lean ahead and run the wiper the hole time or you couldn’t see. In my opinion hard coat windshields and manual wipers are a waste of money but they will work if you want them.
Yeah, I should've bought the glass window instead. Ugh. Oh well...kind of late now.
nerwin is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 10-31-2018, 08:22 PM
Paper Boy
 
chrismorlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock2100 View Post
I had one on an old Rzr I had and it was a pain in the ass. Besides scratching the hard coat windshield if you were ever in the rain you and to lean ahead and run the wiper the hole time or you couldn’t see. In my opinion hard coat windshields and manual wipers are a waste of money but they will work if you want them.
That's what they make Rain-X for...
chrismorlo is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 11-05-2018, 05:42 AM
Mountaineer
 
CCRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: North Central Arizona
Posts: 284
I was just about to recommend Rain-X. I use it on my glass Ranger windshield. I use it on my cars. I use it on the leading edge of the hood and grille during bug season. It worked really well on my 737 windshields. Been using it for 30+ years.

Over time it will craze polycarbonate material but a way to minimize that is to put a little excess Rain-X on a rag and let some of the solvents evaporate. Give it 30 seconds for most of those to go away and then apply it to a clean windshield. If you haven't used it before, it'll look like oil because that is essentially what it is: silicone oil. Grease the surface up good. To keep a layer that will last a couple months, don't wipe off the excess, use a hose and wash it off. Running water is all you need. A bucket will do. Then, don't touch your windshield unless absolutely necessary.

Glass is unaffected by Rain-X but Poly windshields in utes only seem to last three or four years anyway, I'd use it rather than putting on a wiper.


Tip: If you use it on your car, try to avoid using the wipers if possible as it degrades the coating. You can help by wiping your wiper blades with the rag of Rain-X when you are done. All Rain-X needs is a little wind or vibration and the water completely sheds.

Last edited by CCRay; 11-05-2018 at 05:47 AM.
CCRay is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger XP900

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windshield Wiper Mudde Polaris Ranger XP900 0 09-17-2018 10:42 AM
Wiper kit not pumping washer fluid juskinner9 Polaris Ranger XP900 1 08-30-2018 08:35 PM
Wiper Motor for mid size 2014 Ranger feg7846 Wanted 0 01-05-2017 07:56 PM
Reservoir Placement on Polaris Factory Wiper Kit? Lithium Polaris Ranger XP900 7 11-29-2016 03:46 PM
Installing a wiper on an etx Dougetx Polaris Ranger 570 5 03-07-2016 04:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome