Manual wiper? - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger XP900 Discussions for the all new Polaris Ranger XP900

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-30-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Manual wiper?

Anyone have a manual wiper blade system for theirs? I'm thinking about installing one on mine.

I don't have a glass windshield but I do have the Polaris hard coated windshield with the flip out vents and it says wiper ready so I'm assuming they are safe to use. But I've found quite a few manual wiper systems out there but they all kind of have mixed reviews and I want to know what's the best one for the Ranger.

I know Motoalliance sells a universal electric one but it's only a small blade and it only clears 90 degrees. Not that useful to me!

EMP has one that has a 16" blade which would be more useful and it looks like you can change the blade to whatever you want which is more practical. I think some put even larger ones on. https://extrememetalproducts.com/i-2...elds-only.html

So if anyone here has a manual wiper for their hard coated windshield or even glass, what did you get and how do you like them?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-30-2018, 08:55 AM
Gear Grinder

Garage
The one from EMP works well. Buddy has it on his with no complaints.
nerwin likes this.

2016 - Ranger 900XP Highlifter Edition
post #3 of 21 Old 10-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Slow Poke

If you are using the wiper for rain only, that might be OK. I've had a couple of hard coated windshields and they require much TLC when cleaning to keep them from getting all scratched up. I think a wiper to remove mud, dirt, dust, and water will scratch the crap out of your hard coated windshield in no time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-30-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDog View Post
If you are using the wiper for rain only, that might be OK. I've had a couple of hard coated windshields and they require much TLC when cleaning to keep them from getting all scratched up. I think a wiper to remove mud, dirt, dust, and water will scratch the crap out of your hard coated windshield in no time.
I only really need it for winter when I'm plowing, doubt I'll ever use it during trailing riding unless I got stuck in the rain.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Weekender

Garage
forklift wiper systems fit perfectly
lots of old forklifts laying around , also they have rear wipers too and most people don't use it so it shouldn't be missed

2011 Ranger 800xp
14" Rims
26" Maxxis Tires(Big Horn)
2" Highlifter lift
SuperATV steering rack
SuperATV ARD axles
post #6 of 21 Old 10-30-2018, 08:03 PM
Paper Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerwin View Post
Anyone have a manual wiper blade system for theirs? I'm thinking about installing one on mine.

I don't have a glass windshield but I do have the Polaris hard coated windshield with the flip out vents and it says wiper ready so I'm assuming they are safe to use. But I've found quite a few manual wiper systems out there but they all kind of have mixed reviews and I want to know what's the best one for the Ranger.

I know Motoalliance sells a universal electric one but it's only a small blade and it only clears 90 degrees. Not that useful to me!

EMP has one that has a 16" blade which would be more useful and it looks like you can change the blade to whatever you want which is more practical. I think some put even larger ones on. https://extrememetalproducts.com/i-2...elds-only.html

So if anyone here has a manual wiper for their hard coated windshield or even glass, what did you get and how do you like them?

Thanks

EMP one here. I haven't used it much yet, but can't beat the price. I too will be using mine for plowing or heavy rains. I swapped out their included 11-12" blade for a 21" one I had from my truck. It's attached in the middle at the bottom of the windshield. It clears almost the whole shield of my midsize.
Sledder1 and nerwin like this.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-31-2018, 03:16 PM
Gear Grinder

I had one on an old Rzr I had and it was a pain in the ass. Besides scratching the hard coat windshield if you were ever in the rain you and to lean ahead and run the wiper the hole time or you couldn’t see. In my opinion hard coat windshields and manual wipers are a waste of money but they will work if you want them.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-31-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock2100 View Post
I had one on an old Rzr I had and it was a pain in the ass. Besides scratching the hard coat windshield if you were ever in the rain you and to lean ahead and run the wiper the hole time or you couldn’t see. In my opinion hard coat windshields and manual wipers are a waste of money but they will work if you want them.
Yeah, I should've bought the glass window instead. Ugh. Oh well...kind of late now.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-31-2018, 08:22 PM
Paper Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock2100 View Post
That's what they make Rain-X for...
post #10 of 21 Old 11-05-2018, 05:42 AM
Mountaineer

I was just about to recommend Rain-X. I use it on my glass Ranger windshield. I use it on my cars. I use it on the leading edge of the hood and grille during bug season. It worked really well on my 737 windshields. Been using it for 30+ years.

Over time it will craze polycarbonate material but a way to minimize that is to put a little excess Rain-X on a rag and let some of the solvents evaporate. Give it 30 seconds for most of those to go away and then apply it to a clean windshield. If you haven't used it before, it'll look like oil because that is essentially what it is: silicone oil. Grease the surface up good. To keep a layer that will last a couple months, don't wipe off the excess, use a hose and wash it off. Running water is all you need. A bucket will do. Then, don't touch your windshield unless absolutely necessary.

Glass is unaffected by Rain-X but Poly windshields in utes only seem to last three or four years anyway, I'd use it rather than putting on a wiper.

Tip: If you use it on your car, try to avoid using the wipers if possible as it degrades the coating. You can help by wiping your wiper blades with the rag of Rain-X when you are done. All Rain-X needs is a little wind or vibration and the water completely sheds.

Last edited by CCRay; 11-05-2018 at 05:47 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger XP900