Duraclutch and clutch life expectations - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum
Polaris Ranger XP900 Discussions for the all new Polaris Ranger XP900

2Likes
  • 1 Post By cowsncorn
  • 1 Post By CCRay

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-19-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Spectator

Duraclutch and clutch life expectations

Hi,

New forum member but read quite a bit on here.

We run cows in Nebraska sandhills. Along with some crops and general farming stuff. We've had Polaris Rangers past 4 years. We've had 5 Rangers in that time. We put between 3-4,000 mile/yr on them. Mostly hauling fence stuff. Pull light trailer in spring doing fencing work. Usually not heavily loaded - we'll take 400-500 pounds of salt mineral out to cows pretty regularly but those go straight from the shed to the mineral feeders. A lot of miles are just checking cows without a lot of payload. The machines are all 100% bone stock without a single modification.

Started with 570. That only lasted about 2 weeks and it went back for bad motor. Dealer did good trade in 900. Been buying new 900 every year, mostly because they seem to have drivetrain issues noticeable at the 3000 to 3500 mile mark. Side x sides have basically replaced pickups on the operation for anything other than parts runs. Easier to get in and out - don't leave ruts and the carrying capacity vs. ATV are all excellent.

But I have questions RE: duration of life of Ranger (which also affects costs, naturally).

This year we got a bit fed up and just put on Duraclutch (just this past weekend). Thoughts:

1. Duraclutch is great - I'll add to the chorus of voices. If you do work with a Ranger you need a Duraclutch. Ranger was just 1 year old and had 3860 miles when we installed this last weekend.
2. I'm not impressed with Polaris @ this point - Duraclutch should at least be a factory option. Polaris and our dealer was more concerned with selling us a new one them addressing our issues RE: drivetrain issued @ 3500 miles.
3. When we took off OEM clutches the secondary was JUNK. Deep grooves worn in it from working in and out. It completely came apart when we took the bolt out holding it on. No way I would put it back on a machine. Primary clutch didn't have any visual blemishes and appears to be working according to spec - but after Duraclutch the OEM primary spec is terrible.

Which gives rise to the following questions:

1. What is everybody's expectations for life on OEM clutches?
2. What is everybody's expectations for life on Polaris Ranger?
3. Duraclutch owners - what has your experience for durability been - miles before Duraclutch needs work or replacement.

Just thinking about how long to attempt to run these if we don't trade for a new one every year. These things work - but we do all maintenance required. We have plenty of machinery and know and appreciate the importance of regular maintenance.

We bout a Honda Pioneer 700 earlier this year when Ranger started acting up on drivetrain around 300 miles. Put new belt on Ranger @ that point (it was original to that time) but it didn't correct issues. We had decided to get away from Rangers in future - but the Duraclutch could convince us to start with Ranger. Dealer much closer for service work and like the overall machine. Just wish they didn't cheap out on clutches.

I bought the Duraclutch through Hunterworks. That was a fine experience. I had watched his videos and comments on forums so I wanted to reward his work there. It appeared to drop-ship from factory. Got it quick and it went on easy.

Thanks for any thoughts you have.
Nunaranger900 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Mountaineer

CnC,

Thanks for the history on your Rangers. You truly work them and take better care than most owners do. Glad to hear everything else is holding up for your machines.

My 2014 900 XP has almost 3000 mi on the clock and I am noticing more and more noises which indicate my secondary is acting up. Sometimes at about 10 mph I'll get this "ticking" sound that sounds like something in the secondary isn't pinching the pulley evenly, all the way around. Sometimes, it's quiet. I am just waiting for the Fall to do a DuraClutch on mine. From what I am reading, the OEM 900 set-up lasts no more than 4000mi before something goes. The DuraClutch should give you much better life.

As I understand it, the DuraClutch was designed by former Polaris engineers who recognized the limitations of using the belt as your clutch. In a 4hp minibike that set-up is fine. In a 60-80hp ute, pulling a 500 lb trailer, that is not the best solution hence, the DuraClutch. By keeping the belt engaged and by not slipping the belt, the whole assembly sees less stress and the belt lasts longer.

As for the inner parts on the pulleys, I have asked the folks at DuraClutch about the design of the cams and pulley plates and how they differ from the OEM design. I hope to hear back from them shortly and will post what they report.

What you described about your secondaries being trashed is very common. The OEM unit is evidently aluminum to aluminum contact between the cams and the one sliding pully side. You cannot lube these parts because they spin at pretty high rates of speed and no lube would stay where its needed. I am hoping the DuraClutch has a better weight/cam design that lasts a little longer than the OEM.

I drive my 900 XP on my ranch and it rarely sees above 10 mph except when I run to town or haul the dogs for a ride. The transmission aside, I have never seen another brand with the simple ergonomics and rugged design features found in the Polaris Ranger series. The thought of a real clutch and geared transmission like the Honda sounds nice but, the simplicity of the automatic twin pulley system improved by the DuraClutch is hard to beat. The motors easily run 10,000 mi with service, and beyond. The suspensions are very robust except for suspension bits that wear. Doing replacement on the outer wheel bearings and half-shafts appears very straight forward. Parts aren't that expensive so running yours 5-10,000 mi should be practical.

Stay tuned. I'll post their response...

Ray

Here is where they post answers to questions on the DuraClutch...

https://www.duraclutch.com/what-you-...c#comment-9439

Last edited by CCRay; 08-19-2019 at 04:45 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 10:06 PM
Mountaineer

Here was their reply...

Yes, the internal cam on the Duraclutch is different from the OEM design. TEAM does make our secondary but we do have different components inside our clutch kit. It is rare that repair parts are needed for the Duraclutch secondary. At this time we don’t have “rebuild” kits available but you can send it back to our shop and our technicians will provide a quote for repairs. We will provide a quote for the repairs before any work is completed. Again, it is rare that we see any issues with the secondary. Thanks.
redvett likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-22-2019, 05:03 AM
Spectator

When pulling loads and going slow speeds do you run in high or low? From what read way work your rangers need pretty much live in low range. CVT clutch works off rpm. You get best belt grip at higher rpm. The wear you see on your clutches is from belt slipping. 4,000 work miles is hole lot put in perspective probably like putting 100,000 miles on truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 08-23-2019, 10:50 AM
Mountaineer

I occasionally use my Ranger for grooming my granite driveway. I pull a 100 lb grader sled and I always use LOW. The belt locks up before the ute starts moving and the higher RPMs keep it locked, as you point out. When I am not pulling anything, I occasionally end up on a hill on the property and use LOW to get to flat ground where I go to HIGH. I try and park cross-hill so I can get rolling before turning uphill but, sometimes you just can't.

Like CnC explained, I think the biggest design defect is in the secondary. My Ranger gets babied compared to most owners. Most of my use is around my fairly flat 5 acres and four or five times a week I get out on the roads to give my coyotes a ride for four or five miles. I probably average 700 miles a year with easy starts on pretty level ground. I religiously add just enough power to get the belt to softly engage before loading it up. And yet, I can occasionally hear what has to be the secondary "clicking" at about 10-15 mph and I feel the belt slipping slightly when it does that. At other times, the belt locks up and the secondary is quiet. CnC's description of extremely worn parts on the secondary could lead to the secondary not pinching the belt evenly. Imagine what a difference of only 1/16th of an inch of pressure causes due to uneven pulley compression... That is exactly what I am experiencing.

As I said, I'll likely be going Duraclutch in a month or two.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyoliver2324 View Post
When pulling loads and going slow speeds do you run in high or low? From what read way work your rangers need pretty much live in low range. CVT clutch works off rpm. You get best belt grip at higher rpm. The wear you see on your clutches is from belt slipping. 4,000 work miles is hole lot put in perspective probably like putting 100,000 miles on truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We definitely know where the low hole is. I don't think we would get 3,000 miles out of original belt (typo of 300 in my original post that I can't edit) if it was slipping much while trailering and hauling stuff. The machine is in low when there's a trailer on. Trailer only weighs around 500 pounds loaded with posts - which goes down quickly as posts are used. Probably about 200 miles of trailer towing per year.

I was surprised when I took the OEM clutches off. I was anticipating the primary clutch would be shot as it was taking a lot of RPMs to engage the drive belt. Even when trying your hardest to engage easy the OEM clutches after 3,000 miles were engaging with a jerk. I figured that would be related to primary, but was surprised when the secondary was the obvious weak link.

Much happier with Duraclutch performance than with new OEM clutches. Hoping this will help us run the machines to 10,000 miles and beyond.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-30-2019, 07:40 PM
Couch Potato

I also farm/ranch and bought my Ranger for everyday use on the farm. I have a 2015 900XP single seat. I have about 2800 hrs and 18,000 miles on it. Within the first year I installed a Duraclutch. Couldn't have been happier. Still am but with a few failures. I don't remember the exact timeline but will approximate. At about 500 hrs on DC it began to creep forward at idle. I returned the primary to DC and they warrantied it. At about another 500 hrs. same thing. They warrantied again. After that (not sure on hrs) it got real hot one day. I returned both primary and secondary and they warrantied it again. They said this would be the last warranty work. I completely understand as the went over and above on customer service. It hasn't given any trouble since then, but when it does I will probably return to DC on my dime.

The best three parts of my Ranger are the Prostar engine, Armortech cab, and the Duraclutch. I won't start a rant, but sufficive to say I can replace all the drivetrain parts from the output shaft to the ground in my sleep. I have reconciled myself to the fact that I will work on my Ranger continuously and stop complainling. I am shooting for 5000 hrs.

The DC is excellent and product support even better.

Hope this helps.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-31-2019, 07:59 AM
Slow Poke

Lot of ranchers having hell with the Honda
Every one said they will go back to Polaris

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger Forum > Polaris Ranger XP900