Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put in 4 new amazon/ebay carbs and recently rebuilt one of those with a kit specific for the 500. Ran great for a total of maybe 4 hours and is now dumping fuel out of the overflow valve on the bottom of the carb, so much that it will not start. I am done rebuilding these carbs but hesitate to spend $500 on a genuine polaris if I'm going to be rebuilding it all the time so my question is what makes the copies so bad even when you rebuild them with genuine jets, needles, etc...and will I no longer have these issues with the real mccoy? I have a filter on the pick up tube in the tank as well as 2 inline filters so I don't think garbage in the fuel is causing the issues.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Issue I have is no original carb, it was replaced with a knockoff and the dealer kept the original. I really don't want to risk spending the money on a genuine carb if it isn't going to be substantially more reliable.

Thanks for the attachment, read through it and believe my pump is working as expected, I don't think pressure is too high based on how varied my issues have been (starving, rich, and total failure).
Sounds like I should either get it running and get rid of it or get really good at rebuilding carbs in the field? This thing has stranded me in some places that aren't accessible by truck which fuels my desire to set it on fire lol.

· Registered
46 Posts
Issue I have is no original carb, it was replaced with a knockoff and the dealer kept the original. I really don't want to risk spending the money on a genuine carb if it isn't going to be substantially more reliable.

Thanks for the attachment, read through it and believe my pump is working as expected, I don't think pressure is too high based on how varied my issues have been (starving, rich, and total failure).
Sounds like I should either get it running and get rid of it or get really good at rebuilding carbs in the field? This thing has stranded me in some places that aren't accessible by truck which fuels my desire to set it on fire lol.
Have you tried Powersportsnation.com? (402) 371-7002. Ask for Justin. This is a salvage yard for UTV’s and ATV’s. They are consistently bringing in salvaged UTV’s and ATV’s and dismantling and reselling salvageable parts. If they don’t have what you need, keep checking back. I needed a rear differential and it took 3 months of checking and they finally had one come in. Check your make, model of utv/carb and see what year(s) use the same carb. This will also increase your chances of finding a Polaris carb. Example: I have an 01 Ranger 500 4x4 and I located a carb off an 04. I rebuilt it and it fit and ran well. Talk to mechanic/technicians at UTV/ATV repair shops/ dealerships not front desk personnel. They may have what you need in a box of old carbs!
Good luck!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried Powersportsnation.com? (402) 371-7002. Ask for Justin. This is a salvage yard for UTV’s and ATV’s. They are consistently bringing in salvaged UTV’s and ATV’s and dismantling and reselling salvageable parts. If they don’t have what you need, keep checking back. I needed a rear differential and it took 3 months of checking and they finally had one come in. Check your make, model of utv/carb and see what year(s) use the same carb. This will also increase your chances of finding a Polaris carb. Example: I have an 01 Ranger 500 4x4 and I located a carb off an 04. I rebuilt it and it fit and ran well. Talk to mechanic/technicians at UTV/ATV repair shops/ dealerships not front desk personnel. They may have what you need in a box of old carbs!
Good luck!
This is awesome information, thank you!
I figured out the issue, when I was rebuilding the carb I noticed the feed line was loose so I added some adhesive and gave it time to set. While running it in the rocks I guess the line pulled out of the carb so all fuel was being dumped out of the supply line. Can't weld it since the metals are different so I'm going to try JB and see if it will hold up to the fuel, if not guess I'll find a core somewhere and replace all the jets, etc...from this carb. Still want to get my hands on a real Mikuni and see if I have fewer issues long term.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts