Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new RZR last Thursday and looking for stuff on various websites to add to my ride. I thinking about some sort of windshield but am a little unsure of which way to go. Anyone have any experience good or bad with various applications (1/2, full, vented, etc.)?????? Also I see prices vary quite a bit. Not sure how much that has to do with quality or just marketing? Any recomendations on vendors would be appreciated...
Lynn

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hey, Lynn

Welcome to PRF. If you don't mind stop by theNew members section and introduce yourself.

About the windshield, I have a fullsize, but it works this way for anything. If you use a front windshield you will have to have a rear windshield. If not you will have a face full of dust. On which type to by a 1/2 will allow more air in and help keep the bugs out of your face, however a full keeps wind and rain out of your eyes. I would stay away from acrylic, lexan or polycarbonate is better. If you look for a rear winshield it is hard to find. I found a front winshield that is poly with canvas outers with straps. They make 3 different sizes and I used it for my rear windshield.I believe cabelas and bass pro has those on their site. Just measure to get the right one.

More people will post up on this.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had a full front on my ranger and was covered in dust from the vortex of air flow, added a top and rear shield and although a smidgen better I vowed never to use a full front again.. Well I got my chance and put half shields on both my razors and now I'm tickled pink enough flow to run fresh air through the cab without causing that vortex turbulence and with that little lip at the top I can get under any normal rain and snow fall..
Here's a few pic's of the shield..

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I made my own full windshield from 1/4" Lexan (Polycarbonate) and left about an inch opening at the bottom.
Works great but I don't have a big dust problem here in NY.

I think for winter riding here I need to build a full cab to keep most of the snow out and plan to be working on that in the next week or two while I wait for the ice to get thick enough for ice fishing.

The Polaris full cab sure looks pretty sweet but not to my piggy bank! :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a full size made from a sheet of clear plexiglass (or whatever). Don't have a dust problem here in the mountains Total cost was around $75. Only rode once without it and would never ride without it again. Especially good to keep the bugs out of your face in the summer time.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I agree Larry and it keeps alot of stuff out of my face from dust, rocks & bugs to those nasty branches that love to wipp your face.

One thing I have to suggest is that you use only a material approved for windshield use.

PlexiGlass is very dangerous in this area and can crack, break and shatter into some very sharp pieces.

Lexan or Polycarbonate will just bend but never break. The stuff at the local hardware store for storm doors is pretty strong but it too will crack and break into sharp spears.

Just do a test with a piece of scrap. If it breaks or cracks then don't use it for the front windshield!

I can't imagine the damage you could do to yourself and or your passenger in a roll over when your cage gets tweeked and your shield explodes from the preasure.

If your going to spend the money for plastic then go a few bucks more and be safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
slc1lxn said:
Just picked up my new RZR last Thursday and looking for stuff on various websites to add to my ride. I thinking about some sort of windshield but am a little unsure of which way to go. Anyone have any experience good or bad with various applications (1/2, full, vented, etc.)?????? Also I see prices vary quite a bit. Not sure how much that has to do with quality or just marketing? Any recomendations on vendors would be appreciated...
Lynn

I got the full windshield--works great while riding in a wet/damp environment. Its a NO-GO in dry/dusty conditions. I believe a vented-type full windshield would offer the best all around.

·
Registered
15 Posts
pondboy and i were in 2.5 feet of snow today we both have 1/2 windshields my face got cold but the snow collected on the windshield very bad, so a full would have been bad news for visibility O0

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You got that right Woody! I have the full shield and rode the trails after a heavy, wet snow that hung on to every branch and dropped them down into our path. Got totally soaked, had to stop all the time to clean the snow off and had a miserable day of hunting.

Around here I will need the full cab and a wiper to go in the woods.

On the other hand, the RZR was a blast and went thru anything I pointed it at.

Just heard today that Polaris began shipping their hard cab but I won't be buying one for this year.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It is listed in the Polaris accessory book at $1699 but I think you have to buy a different full windshield along with it.

I'll ask some of my contacts what they will cost for the entire set up but the way things are going with RZR stuff you probably won't get one until its too late for this winter anyway. I do know they were supposed to be shipped in early Dec. but they had some hold up and the first ones are hitting dealers now.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Great Pics! Thats about what mine looked like and pretty much the same forest conditions but only with 5-6 inches.

I got to a point where it was useless to even go anywhere and although I like my sport hard top and full shield I hated them for winter riding. Seems like what didn't end up on the shield was right in my lap and I had to actually shovel the inside of the cab out at the end.

Thought about the soft cab but I figure I would have it ripped to shreads in these woods quick.

I will be fabricating some sort of plywood enclosure in the next week or two to see how that will work.

I think the possibilities are endless with the RZR and Rangers with all the accessories they have available or for the making. Heat and defrost might be another upgrade down the line if my cab and wiper ideas work out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I love those pictures, went out again yesterday and those darned goodyears just don't cut it I am waiting for those Swamp lites to hit the house..

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I just don't get it Code Blue! My Goodyears seem fine but a buddy had them and hated them. He went to MudLites and loves them.
Woody and his buddy seem to like the Goodyears also so it will be interesting to hear your opinions of the SwampLites. I hope they are what you need.

How deep is the snow you are driving in and are you scraping bottom at all? No tire is going to do much if it has little weight on it! You just might end up needing a lift or at the very least adding a couple notches to your shock preloads.
I am running my MTRs at 4 pounds or half what Polaris says and my shocks are in mid position and I don't have any problems unless my belly is surfing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
When we go out to the property to take the kids sliding, we drive them up the hill (by road just steep) and whats happening is they slid back and forth from left to right, which can give my bride chest pains as our road is cut into a hill side and drops strait off. So I guess what I'm mostly trying to fix is that type of sliding around. As for the snow no problem with the depth, I ordered the www.rubberdown.ca 2" lifts for both our RZR's and that with those swamplites should do the trick for her.. I'll try to find a pic of the road..

It's hard to tell but the road is about 3/8 mile to where we drop them off and elevation goes from blacktop county road up to about 400-500 ft elevation in that short of a distance..

·
Registered
15 Posts
i actually have 27" mudlites and a 2" lift at about 4psi. it steal does a little side to side action. i noticed that when you ease into the power the better it went even just a crawl, in those pics it was about 3ft deep.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah I was out doing it again yesterday but stayed on it allot and it did better which works for me, but she doesn't drive hers the way I do..

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Great discussion here but a bit off the original posters topic. Sometimes threads morph this way.
Any objections if I move these tire discussions over to Code Blue's Tire Talk thread to keep the info where it is easy to find?

Don't laugh yet but I'm not sure I even know how to move things but if there is no objections I will give it a whirl.
I just don't want to loose any of this because it's good info and will help all of us who are looking for better traction but I doubt many will find it in the 1/2 windshield thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts