Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at putting a windshield on my RZR, and wondering if the 1/2 windshield keeps the wind out of your face?

Early this winter I built a full windshield out of plexiglass, and it worked good except for the dust vortex and the exhuast fumes in the cab, so that went in the trash.

·
Registered
563 Posts
A 1/2 windshield will keep the wind off of your shoulders, but you will still have wind in your face. To eliminate the wind vortex, buy some greenhouse clear plastic. Put iit on the inside of the back cab against the headache net with tarp clamps and snap ties. It will keep the wind, rain & dust off of you and it is about as clear as a window. Looks good. I use a folding windshield made from a 1/2 windshield, a hinge, and 1/4 in. safety plastic. Use black lamp hanger chain to suspend the window when it is down. It worked good last fall. I am going with a gla$$ windshield and hard top with heater and windshield wiper this spring. I am getting to be a wuz.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I called the plastic, green house plastic, but it is clear. Just thick and tough plastic. I think I got it from a fabric store. If you get some, you may be the only male in the store, but you have to look at the plastic.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Having tried every form of shield, rear window, roof combo I assure you you'll like the half shield..

·
Registered
46 Posts
A question for Elk Hunter from another wuz. Did you mean that if you put a plastic rear window in, it eliminates the vortex with a full windshield or a half windshield? Or both windshields? And I'd really like to see a pic of your folding windshield if you could. That seems like a great way to go. Full windshield for when it's cool and a half for later in the day when it warms up, and no storage problems like you'd have if you tried to carry both. Thanks.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The plastic rear window will elininate the vortex from a full windshield. You get quite a bit of fresh air in you face with the 1/2 windshield and you don"t have a vortex problem with or without a back window. This weekend I will get some pictures and try to figure out how to post them on this site. I have to take all that stuff off when I put my new cab on. I know that the windshield and back plastic window sure helped a lot when we were muzzleloader hunting the last 3 weeks in November!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll be looking for those pics. I've got a soft cab already. I just need to try the back window in, with no doors on combination, and see how that works. I still think I like the idea of a folding windshield for all day, all season comfort though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I disagree about that stopping the vortex, and my water hose and washing machine will back me in that.
I say again get the half wind shield you'll love it..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Code said:
I disagree about that stopping the vortex, and my water hose and washing machine will back me in that.
I say again get the half wind shield you'll love it..
I ordered the 1/2 windshield today. I will let you know my thoughts when I get it on. If it does not work out as expected, bring your water hose and washing machine over to my place ;D

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I don't get it!

I have a full windshield and a rear windshield and an exhaust pipe extention that faces down. I get no vortex and very minimal fumes if I am moving forward at all.

I do think when it is 90 degrees the half windshield might be nice but I have absolutely no complaints about the full shield since day one.

On my ride three days ago I would have been wipped to death by branches had the full shield not been there!

As for using Plexiglass for any windshield I highly recommend against it! Plexiglass breaks easily and turns into very sharp and dangerous pieces. USE LEXAN only or true safety glass.

If I had a half windshield I would also buy a living hinge and add a piece of lexan to the top that could make it half or full. I have also heard from others that removing the rubber gasket on the bottom edge allows enough air to come in to stop the vortex. Try it yourself and see.

Here is a link to the living hinge I mentioned-- Quite a nice gadget for folding down Lexan windshields.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=65&product%5Fid=13365

Gary

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey, THANKS. That living hinge looks like the "clear" solution to making a folding windshield. Should solve the problem. Now why doesn't Polaris offer such a product?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Rotorpaul said:
Hey, THANKS. That living hinge looks like the "clear" solution to making a folding windshield. Should solve the problem. Now why doesn't Polaris offer such a product?
LOL! Probably because they didn't know it existed and never asked me where to get it! :2funny:

Gary

·
Registered
563 Posts
That living hinge by U.S. Plastics Corp. is the way to go. Good Idea! From their website, it looks like their hinge is designed for a static load. I Would reinforce it by making it 2 inches shorter then the window and putting 1 inch wide metal hinges on the outside. Just drill the holes a bit larger then the bolts in the windows to allow for expansion of two dissimilar materials. You can paint the metal hinges to blend in or paint then black for a contrast. Again, good idea about the living Hinge! O0

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "static load".

I used the 1/4" LH designed to clip over the lexan and lock in place rather then the glued on flat one.

What I did to make a perfect fit was cut a very shallow grove in the lexan for the tiny tabs on the hinge to lock into. As I inserted the lexan into the hinge it clicked into place and is there to stay. I used a table mounted router with a tiny pin head cutter to make these groves.

I used this while building a hood over a salad bar so they can close the windows at night and open them for business. It has been in use for 6 years now and the hinge is still working fine to this day but the lexan is looking a bit weathered from idiots who insist upon useing chemicles to clean it.

A good idea with Lexan is to use only water or mild detergents and to not rub in any dust or dirt. They also have a better grade of scratch resistant Lexan, don't remember--MR2 possibly, but it's trade name is MARKALON, more expensive but will stay clear alot longer then standard uncoated lexan.

You can also use rainX on Lexan to get water to bead up and slide off just like on your car windshield and there is another product, NOVUS plastic polish that can easily remove fine scratches with a little elbow grease.

Lexan is used in the aviation field for light aircraft windshields as well as in the auto racing field for windshields in race cars. It will not shatter or break like plexiglass will and you could actually bend it 180 degrees and it won't snap. A rock will dent and scratch it but chances are it will bounce right off.

You can make your own windshield for less than half the price they charge for them.

This place is about the best I've found for our plastic needs. http://www.copeplastics.com/docs/missouri.htm

Not sure if they carry the living hinge but they do carry all the Lexan and UHMW we typically use and at excellent prices, shipped to your door. Here is the go to guy there and he gives us a nice discount if you tell him you are a Polaris Ranger Forum Member. Denis Busque, Cope Plastics 314-344-0436 x54

Gary

·
Registered
563 Posts
I am trying to post pictures of RZR folding windshield! Windshield worked good.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Dam ELK, looks like you bought out the hardware store with all them bolts! :2funny:

I'll probably be splitting mine here shortly as the weather warms up and I already have the living hinge sitting here.

My plan is to figure it so that when folded I can just latch it down to the bottom piece somehow.

I have to admit I do like having the protection in front of me and don't usually wear any eye protection with the full shield.

Gary

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the 1/2 windshield installed tonight. I really like it. The wind just catch's the very top of my head, but not in my face. O0

·
Registered
563 Posts
Following is an edited description from Cabelas for their folding windshield for the RZR or full size ranger. They want $350.00 for it.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0056134523271a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=UTV+WINDSHIELD&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=UTV+WINDSHIELD&noImage=0
Cabela's Trail Tamer™ UTV Deluxe Folding Windshield

25% thicker polycarbonate design
Rubber-coated metal resists vibrations
Raise or lower for maximum visibility

?Lock it in the up position or leave it down; either way the new design allows for enhanced visibility from your UTV. The low-profile metal hinge folds to rest the windshield on rubber bumpers mounted to the hood, keeping it as low as possible for maximum visibility. Rubber-coated metal mounting brackets and a powder-coated metal hinge add durability and resist vibration. Made from durable 1/4" polycarbonate plastic. Raise or lower without tools after initial installation. Trailerable at highway speeds.
Available:
Polaris Ranger
Polaris RZR

You can build one for about 1/2 this price.
They have one in the bargain cave that is cheaper, but it had a plastic hinge. The reviews for it said it fell apart without very much use.
This one looks like a better design.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here is something I did to the full size ranger to eliminate the dust bowl affect inside the cab of a customers machine. Drill 4 two inch holes evenly spaced apart and about 2 to 4 inches from the top of the windshield. The customer now likes his windshield and no longer wants to throw it in the trash.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts