Polaris Ranger Forum banner

Am I dumb for wanting to build a SOHC to be a sweet lil trail/utility/hunting machine?

• Yes, you're an idiot.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, that's pretty cool, it'll be a low RPM torque monster

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • What's SOHC?

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm building my 2020 SOHC 1000 to be a little bit of a sleeper. Don't ask me why, I just like a challenge. Here's where I'm at so far...
28x12x14 upgrading to 32x10x15's
Gilomen Tuning
BlackMaxx adjustable clutch
Gilomen Primary & Secondary Springs

So, my question is anyone running a SOHC with 32's? and just tune/clutching upgrade?
I'm 85% leaning towards doing some sort of gear reduction in the trans (don't want to go portals).
Super ATV has 12%, 13% or 25% gear reduction.
I found another company (HD Extreme Off-Road) that I don't know much about but they offer 10% and 19%.
From my research going from stock 26's to 32's I would need about 20-21% gear reduction to get ratios back in line to a "stock" level gear ratio.
However, since I have upgraded clutching 20% might not be needed, but maybe it would make it a bad mofo. Has anyone done gear reduction on a SOHC? I'd love to hear your experience if you have.
I'd love to hear about before and after top speeds/rpms/ pro/cons anything you can offer.

thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Jp, does the sohc run the same trans as the 900's? Back cover of the belt housing plastic?

If so, go with the 25% reduction. They were geared very tall to begin with. With the tune youll still pull 60 plus mph and have more midrange umph when you roll it on at 25-30 mph. Being its not my wallet hurting, the team tied secondary is a worthy upgrade over the sloppy stock unit.

Sounds like a fun build.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jp, does the sohc run the same trans as the 900's? Back cover of the belt housing plastic?

If so, go with the 25% reduction. They were geared very tall to begin with. With the tune youll still pull 60 plus mph and have more midrange umph when you roll it on at 25-30 mph. Being its not my wallet hurting, the team tied secondary is a worthy upgrade over the sloppy stock unit.

Sounds like a fun build.

Thanks! "I THINK" it's a plastic housing. I don't know exactly what you mean by "team tied secondary" but after talking to the clutching guys at Gilomen I'm leaning towards the gear reduction. I'll get the tires and wheels on hopefully soon and be able to do some test riding. From the sound of it I probably better have a spare belt or two...I definitely don't want to make it unreliable as a trail rider so I want to keep the gearing low enough that the belt stays clamped tight. I appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sorry Jp, just went to the online parts microfiche. Your machine has the better secondary on it. Good choice going with the blackmax clutch kit. You'll be able to tailor your cruising rpm better so it isn't screaming at 25 mph.

I went the portal route instead of cracking the trans open. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10-4, talking to Biohazard UTV currently. I think we have a transmission gearing solution that'll get me back to stockish type gearing so I won't smoke belts.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Going a little lower than stock wouldn't hurt one bit. Your adding more weight and rotating mass with the bigger tires and that takes hp no matter the gearing. So a little lower gearing would be beneficial to get the clutches to full shift. Lots to consider. I think 19% would put you a tad under stock.

What type of riding will you be doing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trail/rocks, little mud, hunting, scouting crops. After talking to Brent today I’m 90% leaning towards a 20% type reduction. Which should get me close to the stock feel of my 26’s. But now there’s this tiny little part of me trying to justify portals...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
I went that route. Simply because I could do it myself. And, if I ever wanted to sell. I could put the machine back to stock and sell the portals. And get a good 50 + percent of my money back. They sell really well on the portal fb groups. Plus, with portals. The gear reduction at the portals takes all the stress off your driveline. Your trans and axles still think you have 26" tires on.

With 32s and 4" portals, youd gain 7" of ground clearance and still have stock suspension geometry. Lot's of plusses with them. But you have to beef up your machine a bit to handle them. A arms, heavy duty ball joints and frame stiffner are pretty standard accessories when adding portals. Not a cheap way to go. But i figured it would save the worry of a blown trans.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I'm building my 2020 SOHC 1000 to be a little bit of a sleeper. Don't ask me why, I just like a challenge. Here's where I'm at so far...
28x12x14 upgrading to 32x10x15's
Gilomen Tuning
BlackMaxx adjustable clutch
Gilomen Primary & Secondary Springs

So, my question is anyone running a SOHC with 32's? and just tune/clutching upgrade?
I'm 85% leaning towards doing some sort of gear reduction in the trans (don't want to go portals).
Super ATV has 12%, 13% or 25% gear reduction.
I found another company (HD Extreme Off-Road) that I don't know much about but they offer 10% and 19%.
From my research going from stock 26's to 32's I would need about 20-21% gear reduction to get ratios back in line to a "stock" level gear ratio.
However, since I have upgraded clutching 20% might not be needed, but maybe it would make it a bad mofo. Has anyone done gear reduction on a SOHC? I'd love to hear your experience if you have.
I'd love to hear about before and after top speeds/rpms/ pro/cons anything you can offer.

thanks!
I ran 31s on my SOHC Ranger 1000 crew like I stole the machine and the belt hung in there very well. Then I threw 33s on and was smoking them left and right. 45% 6” gdp portals solved that issue! Now I’m on 37s and Black Betty is currently in the shop having an additional 12-13% reduction added. I wish I had waited until now to buy my portals now that they offer 60% without having to go to 8”. I’ve been very pleased with this machine. Can’t wait to find a clutch that’s better than stock. I’ve only seen the duraclutch for our machine and it doesn’t look like it wants to be in a mud bike. Definitely an awesome clutch though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, after a lot of thought and thinking and asking questions I decided to go with 30%, 4 inch, dual idler Portals from High Lifter. Figured the extra clearance and width is a good thing on rocks and trails anyway. And, I guess, just because they'll fit, and by going to a 30% reduction I'm making my effective gear ratio lower than stock with 32's, I'll probably be putting 35's on here at some point in the future :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, after a lot of thought and thinking and asking questions I decided to go with 30%, 4 inch, dual idler Portals from High Lifter. Figured the extra clearance and width is a good thing on rocks and trails anyway. And, I guess, just because they'll fit, and by going to a 30% reduction I'm making my effective gear ratio lower than stock with 32's, I'll probably be putting 35's on here at some point in the future :)
Sounds like a nice build! I went with gdp portals simply because there’s a rear steer kit for the ranger at super atv that’s directly compatible with them. It’s a future upgrade for me for sure. 12 degree rear steering will be a game changer! Not only will it then turn about as tight as a RZR it will also crab walk which will definitely come in handy and trip people out 😂

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds like a nice build! I went with gdp portals simply because there’s a rear steer kit for the ranger at super atv that’s directly compatible with them. It’s a future upgrade for me for sure. 12 degree rear steering will be a game changer! Not only will it then turn about as tight as a RZR it will also crab walk which will definitely come in handy and trip people out 😂
Rear Steer was developed years ago by Tony’s Toys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rear Steer was developed years ago by Tony’s Toys.
I did not know that. They still making them or just not big on advertisements? Rear steer in general has been around for a long time I know, but a direct bolt on kit that’s compatible with a portal gear lift is hard to beat!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts