Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This relates to the standard configuration- not adding a separate 12V battery for winch power, extra lights, etc., or a Li conv. where a separate 12V battery is required.

From which battery(s) is 14V power drawn and it's the effect on the battery balance of the other batteries in the 48V system? Drawing power from the dedicated 12V battery (one from each series?) to power headlamps and any other auxiliary components must offset the balance of the other batteries. If so, the entire system must be "re-balanced" now and then. With what frequency?

When I realized the 14V power cannot come uniformly from the entire system I've become mindful to cut down on headlamp use because re-balancing (starting another charge cycle immediately after a charge completes) resulted in out-gassing. I'd like to add aux lights sometime without adding a separate 12V battery to power them.

Please evaluate if I've got this right and if there is any need for concern.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
After installing 42” light bar and a 6” rear led bar on a 2014 I found that you could not turn both on at the same time due to 10amp limit of buss bar and no auxiliary battery. I decided to try connecting a 48v to 12v dc converter I used in place of the Sevcon on other carts. This is a 360 watt 30 amp converter from Amazon for about 35.00.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Drawing power from the dedicated 12V battery (one from each series?) to power headlamps and any other auxiliary components must offset the balance of the other batteries. If so, the entire system must be "re-balanced" now and then. With what frequency?
Headlamp power and Aux Power come from the DC to DC converter:
Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Technical drawing

Constant Power B+ comes from the first battery in each string.

Font Motor vehicle Terrestrial plant News Publication

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong please, where says constant power is used for lsv is the 2 amps it’s referring to in addition to having the lsv turn signal harness connected. Without it constant 12v is fused at 10 amps also

·
Registered
877 Posts
That paragraph from the shop manual is confusing, or was poorly translated.

The Switched Power (14 volts from the DC to DC converter) is fused at 10 amps.
Constant power comes through 2 amp fuses at the batteries to the main fuse box under the hood where it is connected to a 2 amp LSV fuse and a 2 amp Indicator fuse. So constant power cannot supply more than 2 amps.

I don't know if this was changed on the later models after the LSV.

·
Registered
279 Posts

From which battery(s) is 14V power drawn and it's the effect on the battery balance of the other batteries in the 48V system? Drawing power from the dedicated 12V battery (one from each series?) to power headlamps and any other auxiliary components must offset the balance of the other batteries. If so, the entire system must be "re-balanced" now and then. With what frequency?

..QUOTE]
The batteries that 12V is drawn from have a lower state of charge than the rest of each string.

The Lead-acid charge curves on the battery charger dictate how fast the batteries charge, how long they spend in each portion of the charge, and how often the battery strings are over-charged. I think the battery charging stages are 1- bulk charge or constant current 2- topping charge 3- float charge 4- overcharge or equalize charge. The overcharge (I think that is what it is called) is the one that boils the electrolyte, ensuring that each of the cells in the battery string is fully charged. The batteries will gas a bit during a normal charge. But they REALLY gas when they are being over-charged.

I don't know where to look up the various charging rates, times, etc for the deltaq charger curves to determine how often the over-charge happens

1 - 6 of 6 Posts