Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 RANGER 4X4 SERIES 10 (A10RD50AA). It was not starting, so I removed the top of the carburetor to discovered a tear in the Diaphragm. I purchased a new Diaphragm assembly, Needle-Jet, Rings & Spring. I put in the new parts & the ranger still won't start. Is there some secret to replacing these parts that I might have overlooked?

Getting desparate....:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
it still should start even with a ripped diaphram, i worked on one that the diaphram wasnt seated in the grove a the top of carb, but it would only go 20 mph, are you getting gas to the carb? got spark? compression?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
As Flying Ukraikian said, you need gas, spark, and compression to run the engine.

You can remove the carb and pull off the bowl and hold up on the float. Then turn on the ignition key to the run position (NOT start). The fuel pump should pressure things up, and if you lower the carb float, gas ought to come out of the needle valve.

While in there, carefully remove both jets and make sure they are not plugged up. if they are, clean 'em out but don't use anything metal or you'll damage the jets. Use carb cleaner (I like B12 Chemtool fuel additive as a carb cleaner) and plastic tools like an old toothbrush.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carb Issues

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I'm getting gas, but I'll have to re-verify the spark. Before taking the carb apart, I'm sure I was getting spark. I'll post results again, but I probably won't have a chance to work on it til the weekend.

Thanks again..

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
FWIW, when I got my 2006 Ranger in Feb, it would get gas and sometimes run, but only when choked. And sometimes it would puke gas out the top tubes of the carb, so it was getting too much gas. The carb had a plugged jet, which I discovered the second time I took the carb apart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clogged Jet

Russ:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that out the first chance I get. I was trying to avoid removing the carb, but I guess there's no way around it :(

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I couldn't figure out how to get the throttle and choke cables off of mine, so I just got it loose from the engine and moved it towards the driver's side and set it in a shallow pan to work on it.

Once you get it good and clean it will run so good you'll never regret taking the time to pull it and clean it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flying Ukrainian & Russ:
Thanks once again for your suggestions. I finally took the carb off, cleaned it and put it back together. I was shocked when it started the first time. I didn't see a plugged jet, but it's entirely possible. Now, I guess I have no excuse for not doing my 'chores'.

Thanks again..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ranger won't rev up

I have a 2004 Ranger 500 that will not run wide open when the airbox is connected. If I remove the boot to the airbox it runs like a champ. I have taken the air filter out and can put the boot back on from the carb to the airbox and it wants to bog down again when I try to rev it up. I can plug the 2 vents on the carb and it will rev up with the air box connected. I have taken the carbureator apart and turned it inside out cleaning it and it still does the same thing. My next thought is maybe i have an exhaust issue? Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2003 ranger and I had the carb rebuilt. still wont start just rolls over. took the fuel line off going to the carb and have gas coming out when rolling it over. I'm out of ideas at the moment

1 - 13 of 13 Posts