Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ranger 4x2 that has a problem that I cant figure out how to solve. When I shift it from reverse to forward the transmission chatters and will not go in to gear. If I tinker with it long enough it will usually go into gear. Even if I turn it off and put it in forward it still does not always go in, when I restart it it still chatters and is out of gear. Today I was trying to get it in gear and as it was chattering I rolled forward just a touch and it went into gear. Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this problem?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds like you may just need to make a shift cable adjustment. Its back by the trans. Hopefully thats it and not internal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chattering when putting in gear

We have adjusted it about every way it can be adjusted but that does not solve the problem. :(

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have you tried un-hooking the cable and shifting it by hand??? Try that. If it engages fine, then you need a new cable, if not, tranny issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chatter

I will try to disconnect the cable and see if it still chatters, could it possibly that it it's idle is too high? I have tried to idle it down but it will only idle down so far.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I will try to disconnect the cable and see if it still chatters, could it possibly that it it's idle is too high? I have tried to idle it down but it will only idle down so far.
Probably not. You sorta ruled that out by starting it in-gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts