Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I would get the progress pics up of the ranger... most everything I have done has been based off of what I read here about what everyone else has done. It (like all great things) is a work in progress that I imagine will never be done...

This first photo is the day we brought it home, bone stock with some mild transmission issues (dogs on high speed gear rounded over) but because of that we got it for 2700 dollars ;D and drove it all summer like that with no problems...

Second photo is after we finished the the roll cage extension. It has a slight angle down as it moves back, the function is two fold, it helps rain water run off and we found that the dust buildup in the back seat was greatly reduced with the down angle... all R&D right? I went with the 2001 Suburban seat for two reasons, 1 it was 20 bucks at the salvage yard and two, it is COMFORTABLE! By dad is 6'3" and he likes the ride back there better than the front, the seat is nice and plush plus the seat belts are mounted solid to it, so When I pull the quick release pens the whole thing comes out and I have my dump bed back for yard work and hunting...

We ran it all summer and knocked up on the jeeps we run with while the transmission was going out! Snow meant it was time to do something about that, new gear and belt and the transmission is good to go! Locks up great and will spin the tires on the pavement!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And as she sits now... Door nets from a 2011 Ranger Crew, Rear Nets are Ebay- Specials (my four year old like to lean out and watch the tires!) Over sized tires (26x9x12 F and 26x12x12 R) wrapped around Vision Type 135 Rims. A 3500lb winch should be here this week along with a few other small odds and ends.

On the dash is a GPS mount I made for my garmin E-trex. I hacked up a set of Trail Boss handle bars I had lying around from a winter project and welded up a mount. We do alot of Geo Caching and the ranger is our primary mode of transportation, so after seeing the price of a RAM mount, I build my own...

I'll try to keep you all posted as I come up with new things, I have to say after having had jeeps and lost a lot of money in them, the Ranger is a much BETTER and MUCH more cost effective alternative! If anyone wants to have fun and doesn't want the price of building a trail worthy jeep, THEY NEED A RANGER.

·
Registered
6 Posts
And as she sits now... Door nets from a 2011 Ranger Crew, Rear Nets are Ebay- Specials (my four year old like to lean out and watch the tires!) Over sized tires (26x9x12 F and 26x12x12 R) wrapped around Vision Type 135 Rims. A 3500lb winch should be here this week along with a few other small odds and ends.

On the dash is a GPS mount I made for my garmin E-trex. I hacked up a set of Trail Boss handle bars I had lying around from a winter project and welded up a mount. We do alot of Geo Caching and the ranger is our primary mode of transportation, so after seeing the price of a RAM mount, I build my own...

I'll try to keep you all posted as I come up with new things, I have to say after having had jeeps and lost a lot of money in them, the Ranger is a much BETTER and MUCH more cost effective alternative! If anyone wants to have fun and doesn't want the price of building a trail worthy jeep, THEY NEED A RANGER.
What do you have done to the engine? The reason I ask I have an 05 500xp and there is no way mine would spin on asphalt it will barely spin on gravel but I do have 28 inch tires on mine that might be the difference but there wasnt alot of difference from when I had my stock tires on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you replaced your high gear yourself or took it to the dealer? My 2004 ranger has the same problem and just wondering if it is much of a job. I am pretty mechanical and have a manual for the machine but I am a little nervous about pressing the bearings off and the coil spring for the shift forks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts