Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a 2004 Ranger 500 6x6 with a carb and do not have any power to the fuel pump. Research has suggested that it could be the pdm but after looking extensively through my machine I cannot find a pdm. I can only find 3 flat black thin boxes under the hood on the passenger side. Are there some ranger 500's without pdm's? I bought this machine new and it has never been messed with.

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
93 Posts
PDM should be a silver box with fins mounted under the hood sorta next to the back left side of the glove box.

can you shoot a photo of your machine under the hood?

The only ones I'm aware of that have no PDM are the EFI 700's, 2007-2009

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I have looked everywhere on this machine and cannot find a PDM or ECM what ever it is called. I did find the CDI back by the battery. I will post a pic later tonight but there is nothing even remotely like a PDM or any other box under my hood. Just 3 what appear to be flat relays.

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
93 Posts
Okay, could you write down the VIN number too while you're looking? I can compare it to the service manuals i've got here to see what it matches up with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mistake it's a 2004. VIN is 4XARF50AX4D168021 purchased new from dealer March of 2004. There is no finned or silver box anywhere.

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
93 Posts
Okay I think I've got a 2004 manual/wiring diagram around here somewhere

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
93 Posts
Apologies in advance, I... maybe wrote down a whole lot here!

According to this, the fuel pump gets ground through a chassis bolt on the left side frame rail under the seat.
**Use a multimeter to check resistance from the brown wire at the pump to battery ground, it should be nearly zero.

Next check the +12v. There are two places the pump gets +12v from, depending if the regulator is putting out enough power or not.
One path is a Red/White wire that daisy chains from the key -> splice of multiple red/white wires -> one side of the circuit breaker for the fan -> pin 1 of the engine rpm limiter -> pin 1 of the "alternator control" switch.
The other path is from the stator -> regulator/rectifier -> pin 2 of the engine RPM limiter -> pin 3 of the alternator control switch.

The alternator control switch is supposed to flip the power for the fuel pump between the battery +12 and the regulator, depending if the engine is running and the regulator is putting out enough power.

**My instinct tells me that the alternator control switch died, or there's a bad connection at the main harness -> dash harness connector.
The alternator control switch is one of those three boxes you see under the hood, the one with just 3 wires going to it in a 3-wire connector.
Use your multimeter to check for 12v on pin 1 when the key is on, and on pin 2. it should be connected right through when the engine isn't running.

The +12v pink wire goes through dash harness connector 1. It stays pink on the other side of that junction, and hooks to the +12v side of the hour meter

Then from the hour meter, +12v comes from the alternator control switch, which is one of those three black boxes.

The other two boxes are:
1. regulator/rectifier which has red, brown, yellow, and 2 yellow/red wires, each in a separate plug

2. engine RPM limiter/hub control, which has what looks like 6 wires coming off it, all in one plug

here's the wiring for the dash area, less chopped up:
PM me and I can get you the full service manual PDF

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No apology necessary. What a great reply. I did check the ground and the hot wire to the fuel pump at the very beginning of this ordeal and found no power to the fuel pump. I started tracing wires and toning them out but then because my service manual is for a 2005 (DUH not sure how I messed up the year) I obviously got confused because things were not as in the 2005 wiring diagram. You helped me greatly by having me look at the VIN and when I looked at my title saw my machine is actually a 2004. (once again double DUH). Machine has been in storage for several years and I just pulled it out and am cleaning out the fuel system and changing all of the fluids. Machine only has 12 hours on it. So really all of the electrical control comes from the 3 control boxes under the hood and the CDI by the battery. So sounds like I need to check all of the controllers under the hood. Starting with the alternator controller. I have been focused on the pink wire for the fuel pump but using the wrong year wiring. I will PM you regarding the service manual.
Thanks a million, Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to publicly thank vilord for his help in solving my ranger fuel pump electrical problem. Through many back and forth PM's he provided me with some test methodologies and specific detailed information regarding the electronic controllers in my machine that ultimately lead me to solving my problem. THANKS VILORD!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts