Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to crank it and it turned over slowly but sounded like enough to crank, turned key to off and tried again heard a thunk sound and now no power. When i turn the key on i can hear the fuel pump but the headlights wont work or any of the lights on the dash. Have checked the battery, its good. The manual says to reset the circuit breaker but I have never seen one on my Ranger. I am thinking ecm now, any thoughts?

·
Registered
83 Posts
starter... or the power distribution module(located under driver side seat) maybe. What did you do to check the battery? i would hook it up to a truck with jumper cables, let it sit for a few and then try starting it. i have a friend with a quad that swore the battery was charged but it ended up going bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd check the starter. We used to have a similar problem with the old 2-stroke trailboss ATVs, the starter would get lose and get angled and bind against the fly wheel, with out knowing the XPs 700 engine set up I couldn't tell you for sure, but it would be worth a check especially if you are getting the fuel pump to come on.
Also there could be the possiblity that the lead to the starter/solenoid/power distribution is lose or corroded and not making contact or even off and grounding out any of the above could result in intermitten power leading up to only one item recieving enough power (i.e. only the fuel pump kicking on).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello to all. I am new. I have the EXACT same problem that firefyter described originally in the original post here. It's an 05 standard Ranger. I turned the key on and then back off. Turned it back on again and everything went dead. Like he said, the only thing that sounds active is the fuel pump under the seat. All dash lights are dead and everything else. I read the manual and it says "reset the circuit breaker". PLEASE tell me where this elusive circuit breaker is. I read on another site that it was in the ECM module. I literally took that off and pulled the back cover. I just see a large circuit board. Nothing else. Somebody please help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like your PDM. Under the hood on the passenger side, its the module with the cooling fins and two harnesses. This same thing happened to me this past november. You can hear the fuel pump energize and prime, but no other accessories. All of your accessories are powered through your PDM. There is a circuit breaker before your PDM, but it won't look like your standard fuse or circuit breaker. It is wrapped in a plastic casing that is pinched on both ends for watertight integrity. Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts