Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several things wrong with my 6x6 and so Im just going to list them all because Im not sure what might be related or not.

1. More often than not it will backfire upon slowing down, especially once its gotten warmed up. And not little put-puts, but like a gun shot.
  2. It is difficult to get started in the morning, it will keep dying unless you put it in neutral and rev the engine, even then once you go to put it in gear it will die. Once you get it going though it usually does just fine (this has been a problem for years) (Is not dependent on outside temp, I live in FL and this is a problem year round).
  3. Recently it has started not idling for very long and will just die almost every time you come to a stop.
  4. The exhaust manifold has started to glow red after moderate use.
  5. While driving it seems to not have much power sometimes, like pushing the gas down just doesn't do anything. When it does this the engine sounds different too, you can tell its running rougher.
I have put quite a bit of work into these problems but have been unable to really solve them, it seems like things will get better for a little bit and then just come back again. In the last year I have:

1. Adjusted the TPS using the special cable bought from Polaris
  2. Adjusted the idle (it is set quite high right now to keep it from dying every time I stop driving)
  3. Replaced the TBAP sensor
  4. Rewired the TBAP sensor twice, then finally just replaced the entire wiring harness with a tougher after market one.
  5. Replaced the gasket between the exhaust manifold and engine block
  6. Cleaned out the throttle body
  7. Replaced the air filter
  8. Replaced the air pre-filters and cleaned the air tubes of all debris
Right now it appears that problem #5 has been solved by replacing the TBAP sensor and harness, however I really feel like that problem could come back at any moment.
Im wondering if its time to take it to the dealer...

Im open to any ideas, thanks so much for your time!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem fixed

I took it to the dealer and they replaced two things:
1. Air box boot (the rubber hose running between air filter box and throttle that has the TBAP sensor screw into it)
2. Throttle position sensor

It runs pretty well right now but Im rather surprised because I saw that there was a small crack in the air box boot, but thought that since it was before the throttle it probably wouldnt make much of a difference and even when I sealed it up it didnt fix any of the issues, so I had overlooked that. They told me that the crack was letting cold air into the system which was causing the hard starts, but that doesnt make any sense to me because everything is cold when you start it the first time, and as I said its before the throttle. So really all my problems came down to the bad TPS which I had my suspicions about since I had to re-calibrate it several times over the past year and it never really seemed to keep my setting even after just a few hours of running it.

Anyway I hope this helps somebody else out there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6x6 Acting up again

I caught the problem on video!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-FidZHzfbDQNXZyX1Iya1RwdDg

So for the first 30 seconds the ranger is all messed up, anytime I push the gas you can hear it bog down and it doesnt move at all. Also notice its idling at about 1400rpm. Then right at 30 seconds you can hear it change and then when I push the gas the problem is gone and I start moving again. Ive noticed that you can tell if it is having the problem by how it is idling, if its up at 1400 its not working, but all of a sudden it will switch back to about 1100 (where is should be) and then the problem is gone.

Any ideas?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts