Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on a customers 2007 ranger 700 6x6. I pulled the oil filter and it was full of what looks like plastic. Anyone have any idea what this is or where it came from? Thanks for any help
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Alloy wheel
Black Yellow Eyewear Asphalt Rectangle
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Bicycle part Gas
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Alloy wheel
Black Yellow Eyewear Asphalt Rectangle
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Bicycle part Gas

·
Registered
69 Posts
Doesn't look good at all. I would want to see what the crank case looks like. Is it solid/hard or soft/mushy?
What is in the red circle? Its brown looking.
I would flush the engine at least before I ran it. Maybe ask the customer if they have ever changed the oil since 2007
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Alloy wheel

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can’t imagine it being plastic….as said, think your looking at 2007 model cooked oil and debris.

unless of course he’s forgetting to remove the oil from the plastic containers before putting into engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't look good at all. I would want to see what the crank case looks like. Is it solid/hard or soft/mushy?
What is in the red circle? Its brown looking.
I would flush the engine at least before I ran it. Maybe ask the customer if they have ever changed the oil since 2007
View attachment 26067
The black stuff is hard. It burns like plastic? The small brownish pieces look like 3 bond or case sealant? Its rubbery. The black pieces are literally melted? into the oil filter. The other black pieces pictured in the block when the oil filter was removed are also hard. If it was a can am v twin I would say the plastic water pump gear or melted chain guides but not sure here. I can say the engine is much quieter now and seems to run ok. It just may be possible that this was the original oil filter. Customer owned since new and does not know when the oil was last changed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can’t imagine it being plastic….as said, think your looking at 2007 model cooked oil and debris.

unless of course he’s forgetting to remove the oil from the plastic containers before putting into engine.
Very well could be. This is a very used machine. Not much maintenance done. It should be ok now, Its on its second oil change since 2007 lol

·
Super Moderator
2,506 Posts
It just may be possible that this was the original oil filter. Customer owned since new and does not know when the oil was last changed.
I think you summed it up pretty well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts