Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and also a new (used) Polaris owner. I recently purchased a used 2007 Ranger XP 700 EFI. While servicing it, we changed out spark plugs for new ones (NKG) and cleaned the air filter among other things. While checking the oil level, we noticed that it was barely, if at all touching or showing up on the dipstick. Naturally, we added about a quart and a half. It showed up as being full from there. Here's where my problem is..... We took it for about a 7-8 mile ride in the deer woods.... nothing hard, just mostly flat land. After riding all day, we came in and checked the oil levels again. It showed to be about a quart low again after just an 8 mile ride. Before going to the shop with it, I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to fix this issue. Thanks for any advice that you can give.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and also a new (used) Polaris owner. I recently purchased a used 2007 Ranger XP 700 EFI. While servicing it, we changed out spark plugs for new ones (NKG) and cleaned the air filter among other things. While checking the oil level, we noticed that it was barely, if at all touching or showing up on the dipstick. Naturally, we added about a quart and a half. It showed up as being full from there. Here's where my problem is..... We took it for about a 7-8 mile ride in the deer woods.... nothing hard, just mostly flat land. After riding all day, we came in and checked the oil levels again. It showed to be about a quart low again after just an 8 mile ride. Before going to the shop with it, I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to fix this issue. Thanks for any advice that you can give.
I am guessing scored pistons with that kind of consumption..........https://www.nflowmotorsports.com/

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not familiar with the 700. Does that motor have to oil reservoirs that have to be drained when doing an oil change. If so maybe your 700 may still be low in oil. If you burned that much oil on your shot trip you should have seen lots of smoke coming from the exhaust. I would add more oil and check it after another run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did your situation end up? Scored pistons? Rings? Other?

·
Registered
2012 POLARIS RANGER CREW 800EFI
5 Posts
To be using that much oil sounds like worn rings spark plugs should have shown evidence of that what did the inside of the air filter housing look like its probably just time for a rebuild WWW.MCBPERFORMANCE.COM is a great company to buy your parts from they offer all types of kits from top end to full crank top end kits.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Did you ever do a compression test before doing anything else.
If rings and all are gone..it would show low compression.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, did a compression test, 115 each side. Dealer said it should be 150-160. My friend is a mechanic and is helping take it apart. The cylinders were scored and wore. It needs a whole upper kit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts