Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I just bought a 2008 Ranger xp 700 with about 120 hours on it. I've taken it out a few times and it has 2 issues that I'm hoping you could help me out with-

1) It didn't idle well when I bought it but wasn't to big of a deal at the time. Now that I'm using it I find that I would like to fix that problem but not sure how. I can't seem to find an adjustment since it is efi. I sprayed carb cleaner around throttle body and no idle change. Any idea on why the idle is low?

2) The belt separated while trail riding so I took it home and replaced the belt with the right OEM belt. Now it doesn't shift while running but shifts fine when it is off. The idle is real low so I don't think it is a idle issue, I blew out the clutch with air when I replaced the belt. I can't find any debris in the clutch and nothing looks out of place.

I've seen these problems in other posts but not with my model, any recommendations?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hey Guys,
I just bought a 2008 Ranger xp 700 with about 120 hours on it. I've taken it out a few times and it has 2 issues that I'm hoping you could help me out with-

1) It didn't idle well when I bought it but wasn't to big of a deal at the time. Now that I'm using it I find that I would like to fix that problem but not sure how. I can't seem to find an adjustment since it is efi. I sprayed carb cleaner around throttle body and no idle change. Any idea on why the idle is low?

2) The belt separated while trail riding so I took it home and replaced the belt with the right OEM belt. Now it doesn't shift while running but shifts fine when it is off. The idle is real low so I don't think it is a idle issue, I blew out the clutch with air when I replaced the belt. I can't find any debris in the clutch and nothing looks out of place.

I've seen these problems in other posts but not with my model, any recommendations?
Hi Clinger, What does it idle at ? 950 to 1250 ? Could need a Throttle Position Sensor Adjustment but first I would run some SeaFoam or a good Fuel injection cleaner thru it . If your sure it is the correct replacement belt, it could just take a few hours to "break in" . That 2008 700 is a sweet machine especially with those low hours........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Islander,
It idles between 5-600 so I have to fan the throttle to keep it running. I tried the sea foam but maybe I need to do it again. I only ran half the bottle through half a tank then added more fuel half way through that tank so probably too weak?

Glad to hear it is a sweet machine cuz it wasn't cheap! The belt definitely was the right OEM one that it called for so I hope that it will break in. I've put probably 3 hours on the new belt, how many do you think it will take to break in?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Thanks Islander,
It idles between 5-600 so I have to fan the throttle to keep it running. I tried the sea foam but maybe I need to do it again. I only ran half the bottle through half a tank then added more fuel half way through that tank so probably too weak?

Glad to hear it is a sweet machine cuz it wasn't cheap! The belt definitely was the right OEM one that it called for so I hope that it will break in. I've put probably 3 hours on the new belt, how many do you think it will take to break in?
Cling, it should loosen up . I would give it 8 hours or so run time. I would say you need to adjust the TPS a tad. An 08 should read about .660 although I have found these numbers to be more of a guideline than the rule. You will need a good multimeter set on low DC voltage. The TPS is very touchy and a little and I mean little adjustment clockwise can get you right back to 1000 rpm @idle. To much/to little it will run like krap and break up as you hit the gas.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just curious, how do you adjust the throttle position sensor?
Here it is.........
TPS adjustment

TPS Adjustment procedure

Short Version.....adjusting the idle voltage
(1) Find the yellow wire leading to the TPS and carefully pierce the insullation with the positive lead of your multimeter (make sure that you seal that bare spot when finished). If you want to do it "right" and not pierce the wire insullation, you can buy the Polaris TPS adjustment harness (Polaris part # 2201519-A), which simply "T's" into the existing harness plug.
(2) Connect the negative lead of your meter to a good ground on the Ranger (the engine will work.....no need to go all the way to the battery).
(3) Set your multimeter to the lowest setting that you have above .660 volts to get the most accurate reading (many have a 2 volt setting and that will work great).
(4) Turn the key on but do not start the engine. You should be seeing .660 volts +/- .010 volts for your '08 Crew (see the important parts sticky for info' on other year models Important parts information for Rangers ). If the voltage is outside of that range, turn the idle voltage adjustment screw on the left front of the throttle body (right above the throttle cable) until you have the desired voltage.

Although the screw is designed to require a special tool (Polaris part # PU-47315), it can be done with needle nose pliers. You can buy a cheaper version than the Polaris tool here Everything to make you "Go Fast"
(5) After the desired setting is achieved, seal and lock the screw with some thread sealant or finger nail polish to prevent it from rattling out of adjustment.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Cling,DON'T loosen the TPS base mounting screw. That is a whole other adjustment you don't need. If you decide to use needle nose pliers to adjust the flow 'D 'screw,, be very careful to get a good grip and don't round off the adjuster. When the idle gradually dropped on my '07 I used a needle nose and just tweaked mine clockwise a hair and it put me right back at 1150 from 800 rpm. I did have the meter on it but if I didn't have one, I would have tweaked ever so slightly and then started it, check idle RPM and then a road test to make sure it accelerated throughout the range. The adjustment tool/harness and meter is a good idea if you have a Ranger for the long term.........8)http://www.kmsperformance.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=24

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man you Rock! I like the illustration, very helpful. I will work on this later and report back on the results. I wish everyone would report back on the results as it helps the next guy.
Thanks again and I will follow up by end of the weekend.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Man you Rock! I like the illustration, very helpful. I will work on this later and report back on the results. I wish everyone would report back on the results as it helps the next guy.
Thanks again and I will follow up by end of the weekend.
Can't take credit for the TPS adjustment article. That was done by Commander Jones and he does a whole lot of good for the Polaris community. Hope it helps withthe idle......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update- I was able to get a little clockwise turn and that seemed to help with the idle. It's probably a little too low still @ around 680 but at least it is not stalling on me. I am also running on Seafoam so that may be part of it?

The shifting is still a issue. I put another 3 hours this weekend (a total of 6 on new belt) but I still can't shift with motor on. I am usually able to get one shift out of it each time I start the engine. In other words, If I start it in neutral I am usually able to shift into low or reverse one time from there but would need to shut it off to shift again after that. Any idea on why that would be?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Quick update- I was able to get a little clockwise turn and that seemed to help with the idle. It's probably a little too low still @ around 680 but at least it is not stalling on me. I am also running on Seafoam so that may be part of it?

The shifting is still a issue. I put another 3 hours this weekend (a total of 6 on new belt) but I still can't shift with motor on. I am usually able to get one shift out of it each time I start the engine. In other words, If I start it in neutral I am usually able to shift into low or reverse one time from there but would need to shut it off to shift again after that. Any idea on why that would be?
" I am also running on Seafoam so that may be part of it?" Shouldn't affect the idle much. If your motor still revs thru the range well after your TPS tweak, I would note where it is now and give another tweak clockwise and then check your idle/revs again. I would give the belt more time to "break in".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts