Polaris Ranger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That is the same model number as my 2013:
View attachment 25241

It means when you convert to the Voltronics Kit, the charger can be reprogrammed and used.

That's the first good thing we have heard about converting to Lithium-Ion with this beast. So we are wondering if we do go with Li where does the 12v come from? Also what is and what does the Sevcon do?

·
Registered
859 Posts
That's the first good thing we have heard about converting to Lithium-Ion with this beast. So we are wondering if we do go with Li where does the 12v come from?
If there is no DC to DC converter, you (or Voltronics) will have to add one.

Also what is and what does the Sevcon do?
It is the motor controller, located between the right and left battery banks.
It converts 48 volts DC to 3 phase AC to spin the 30 horsepower motor. :

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Would 4 of Interstate HD24-DP batteries work in our 2010 Ranger EV? We aren't needing range just needing to see how mechanically sound the unit is. We just need a cheap way to test it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
"long extension cord for a test drive" lol
Xfaxman, do you think the four batteries that we can only get up to 10-11.5 would be enough to get the thing to move?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I was only suggesting the power source as a option to supply 48 volts to be able to evaluate any other issues while stationary. Obviously you could not drive it. As it is now I doubt it will much of anything

·
Registered
859 Posts
"long extension cord for a test drive" lol
Xfaxman, do you think the four batteries that we can only get up to 10-11.5 would be enough to get the thing to move?
Pick out the four best and try it.
If you are sure that your voltmeter is accurate, put five in series and try it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I was only suggesting the power source as a option to supply 48 volts to be able to evaluate any other issues while stationary. Obviously you could not drive it. As it is now I doubt it will much of anything
I'm willing to try anything. We did get dash lights and that's all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
We are putting 8 Duralast Marine batteries (suggested in a 2018 post) in our buggy to see if it runs properly before converting to Lithium-Ion. What should the Delta-q chargers algorithm be set at? This is the battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Got the batteries pulled and very pleased of how little rust there is. One bolt is rusted a little thin that we will need to replace. Cleaned it up and will spray it with under coating. Our local Autozone is great. If the buggie is dead in other ways we can take the batteries back and get a refund. If it works I'll just run it until we get the lithium kit and re-sell the batteries slightly use. Keeping our fingers crossed that everything else works 🤞🏻

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
454 Posts
My fingers are crossed! The battery area looks really pretty good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Still not sure where the 12v is coming from. We took photos of how it was wired before and will just wire it up the same but I would like to understand were the 12v is coming from so if any of you know or can tell from the photos that would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well it runs!! That is a relief. Now we just need to figure out the best algorithm to charge these batteries at while getting things going on the Li conversion. Does anyone have advice on which algorithm? I looked at the Delta-q website and found the chart but these batteries aren't list. The batteries are Duralast 27DC Group 27 Deep Cycle Marine 85ah 180rc. We are thinking 5 or 62 might work. Would you guys concur?

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
The Duralast are not a traction battery but a conventional deep cycle one designed for periodic cranking. The 85ah is also well under size. I fear they really wont last long under traction use the high current , longer time usage is not what they are designed to cope with. So treat them gently and give them a few gentle usage runs and charges to get them going.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The Duralast are not a traction battery but a conventional deep cycle one designed for periodic cranking. The 85ah is also well under size. I fear they really wont last long under traction use the high current , longer time usage is not what they are designed to cope with. So treat them gently and give them a few gentle usage runs and charges to get them going.
Grumpyb we know it's just temporary solution until we get it converted. Any suggestions on what algorithm we should put the charger on until then?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Contacted Delta-Q regarding charging the Duralast marine deep cycle batteries we installed temporarily and this is what they said:

"Apologies, I should have dug a bit deeper, I based my recommendation on your description (840 MCA 180 AH 27DC), however looking at the spec sheet the 180 actually refers to reserve capacity (in minutes), and you're right that the actual capacity is 85Ah. BUT if you are using 2 sets of batteries in parallel then you're doubling your capacity, so for 170Ah, algorithm 71 still applies. Always good to make sure though :)."

We will check to see what the charger is set at and change of needs be.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts