Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So far all the Li ion conversions I have done have been 2011/12 onwards and have the relay to operate the DC to DC to give the live 12v supply.
The current one in for conversion is a clean condition 2010 and I hadnt appreciated that the early ones did not have the 12v bleed connections for constant power. This (and I have looked at the early one I bought to eventually use as a mule, its the same) version has the DC to DC running all the while, and the 12v systems are turned on by a tiny 48v cube relay in the fuse box, operated when you turn on the ign. The DC to DC is always on. Solution is a delve into to the wiring diagram, locate the 12v live feed wires in the loom, add a new fused feed from the new 12v battery, and since the replacement DC to DC has a permanent high voltage supply and a low current high voltage pilot , that now runs from the ign switch. Its so much easier with the later vehicles with the Relay operation of the DC to DC. But even those parts are currently out of stock from my suppliers, so retrofitting the later system wasnt an option. Back order of about 4 weeks.
As with so many Ranger EVs, corrosion from the battery pack was not good, but thankfully only one battery tray bolt completely rusted in.
This customer had his vehicle battery pack repaired a couple of years ago, got charged a fair amount and the repairers simply replaced three of the batteries, hence the failure in a relatively short time. Two batteries had almost complete corrosion of the post connections into the battery body, and would have had power issues just from that. Once LA batteries start to fail, its really not worth just replacing the odd battery, they really will all go fairly soon. The imbalance between the separate batteries was really bad, despite the std over charge to help with that issue. As most of the Rangers I get in are from farmers / landowners with some livestock, they can readily put the usable old batteries to a final life of running electric fences, extending their useful life and spreading the energy cost of production over more years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The DC/DC converter is in the charge controller on my 2010. When I rewired after the Harness burned out i noticed the top board on it is labeled as such and the 13.5 v wiring diagram confirms. I’m looking at getting a stand-alone DC/Dc converter for it since I don’t want to send my charge controller off to reprogram for lifepo and I charge it directly off solar charge controller anyhow and only use the crappy onboard one to keep the Sevcon happy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wonder, in my EV 2015' there is two fuses from 12V each side.
I prepare 48V to 12V converter. But it turns out, All function well without this 12V supply from Battery.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 12v is required for the function of the std DeltaQ charger indicators. Also people fit other things like hazard flashers as well.
Whats the Charge controller? The STd Ranger has no discrete Charge Controller, The Delta Q is a stand alone device, programmed to operate with 10 different cell types. There is no separate device to control the charge. Has yours been changed for something different?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Delta Q do make a version of the charger with a built in DC to DC, but as far as I can tell, Polaris always used a separate Sevcon DC to DC. .Possibly a previous mod to your vehicle?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess the UK version was different. Our 2010 (I have one and just converted this one) wiring is different and the DC to DC is the Sevcon. just on all the while. Unlike the later version where we have the relay mounted on the DC to DC mounting plate. I got the 2010 wiring Diagram from Polaris. Its different to the one above and very different to the 2011/ 12 with the relay.
I dont think many 2010 were sold in the UK, so they may be later ones. You do see a lot of cross over in years. I did a Li Ion conversion on a brand new (just imported) 2019 vehicle in march 2019 but it was built about 5 months earlier.
Its good to see and document the differences between the vehicles. It all helps to keep them going and solve spares issues.
I have only ever seen a 96v unit with the DC ro DC built in. No idea what it came from.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was referring to the DeltaQ as the charge controller, since that is what I installed to replace that functionality with DC solar charge controller. Sloppy wording. I had to rewire the DeltaQ just to allow the 13.5 V circuit to show health, since the sevcon would not operate without it- a 6 blink error. Wired that circuit back in (which was a royal pain in that tiny deltaQ box) and it runs fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts