Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 EV that has started making a pretty load roaring/humming noise that seams to be coming from the back. It only happens in high speed and mostly when I am under a power load (going up a incline with pedal pressed all the way down). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it may be? It almost seams to actual create a slight vibration you can feel. Also on a separate note I am thinking about buying a new EV and was wondering if the new models are quitter then the older models or if they make the same sounds. Thanks for your responses

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Mine does it in cold weather like in the 20’s. Probably a bearing in the motor. I just let off the pedal and slow down a bit. Not much has changed in 9 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine is doing it in warm temps and colder temps 40 degrees to 85. I just put a 2" lift kit on it do you think that has anything to do with it?

·
Registered
398 Posts
My 2010 Ev does the same thing when climbing steep hills. It usually last a couple of seconds. I believe that the noise is caused by the motor asking for more amperage than what the batteries can supply. It usually gets mire pronounced as the batteries get older

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just replaced the batteries about 6 months ago. The noise started about 2 weeks ago. I could check all of the battery cables and make sure they are tight. It does not make the noise in low or max range

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think Lou is on the right track. Mine stops when I let off the pedal a little. It’s usually in the mornings when going to a stand so I just slow down. But my batteries are charged most of the rime at least 70%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
Possibly the kit, the angle of the Inner drive joint can very exceedingly tight when the vehicles are lifted. Use a ratchet strap to pull up / take the strain of the lower suspension arm to where it is when sitting unloaded. (Dont forget it will then go further on the drop). Now the suspension is held jack up the vehicle and turn the wheel, you will be able to feel if its notchy. A slow speed noise is more likely to be driveshafts, a higher speed noise is more likely to be bearings. The rear bearing is an encoder unit. Lots of money from Polaris, lower cost from a bearing supplier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I know this is an older thread but wanted to follow up. I also have a 2010 with same roaring noise in the rear under acceleration. Gets louder as speed increases, and less as it slows down. Polaris says it’s normal but I don’t buy that. Has anyone figured this out? It seems to be a common problem but in reality nothing has broken. It’s just noise...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Could it be the plastic bed vibration? When running wide open on pavement, I would get a roar from the bed. I confirmed this by removing the bed and the noise goes away. I even tried balancing the tires, professionally at an automotive tire shop. This removed some felt pavement vibration, but did not remove the "bed roar" at wide open throttle on pavement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, that’s certainly worth investigating as I have not done that. It sounds more like a bearing or CV joint but I’ll try the bed.
thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts