Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot figure out exactly what the issue with this machine is and neither can my local dealer. Engine is running really rough and wants to die when given gas. Smells richer than normal as well when running.

I recently rebuilt the bottom half of the engine and everything in the engine checks out fine to me and the dealer. Other items that were checked by the dealer and no issues were found are:

Fuel pressure
Electrical connections to the CPU
TPS (was calibrated by dealer)

I did replace my fuel injectors with aftermarket ones. I’ve got OEM injectors on order to see if that’s the issue, but at this point I’m just guessing. Could the after market injectors be the issue? Could the TPS itself have gone bad?

Any ideas or similar experiences would be great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Plugs have also been changed and I have pumped out old fuel and added new fuel as well. Neither worked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve got codes 51 and 27. I got new injectors last night and it’s running better but still not idling quite right. I unplugged the harness cables going to the injectors while it was running last night one at a time and in both cases, it idled flawlessly as it should when 1 cable was unplugged. I’m thinking bad cables, so I ordered those last night.

As for code 27, the dealer allegedly calibrated my TPS, but I will cross that bridge after these injector cables come in and see if that solves my issue. Finally glad to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Not sure how my dealer couldn’t resolve this issue for me either (I’m more of a YouTube mechanic). Nonetheless, I’m hoping these harness cables do the trick. If they actually did calibrate my TPS, maybe code 27 is being thrown as an additional option of what the problem could be by the ECU and will be negated with the injector fix.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That helps. 99.9% of the time it's a wire harness issue. The wire breaks inside the insulation and are hard to locate. They will even ohm out correctly....but as soon as the motor is started and heat and vibration comes into play. Things go haywire. Good call on going with stock injectors. The knockoffs aren't known for quality.

Go to OTB Powersports and order the appropriate harness replacements for your codes. Normally it's the tps harness and iac. But they will have a guide for your codes and appropriate harnesses.

Those should get you back in business.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Spaz. I will go look at those wiring harnesses. I figured it was going to be some weird electrical issue since the dealer didn’t have a clue because they didn’t see anything “obvious”.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you cut all the zip ties where they have the wires bunched up around the throttle body...and pull the loom back. You may be able to see where the wires have rubbed through. They always rub the insulation off in that area. Also, check the wires down by the crank position sensor. Passenger side bottom of the motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good. I’ll check all of those today and see if I can get the appropriate wiring harnesses ordered. Was thinking about selling this thing to go towards a new one when I got it fixed, but at this point I’ve rebuilt the engine and replaced most of what usually goes out on these machines. I’ll almost have a “new” one by the time I’m done.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm betting you'll find some wires rubbed through once you start cutting some zip ties. Each harness has a different plug end. So don't worry about getting them mixed up.

If you havent...inspect your intake boot for any cracks. They like to Crack at the bottom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do and thanks for the info. I plan on taking a very thorough look at each of the wiring harnesses next to see what all the issues could be there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts