Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a serious noob. A noob that likes to read, is learning fast, but is still in the weeds on the differences between batteries. I have read all of the threads on this forum about converting to LI. It seems like most things in the recreational vehicle world, it borders on being prohibitively expensive. Lead acid batteries are only getting 2 miles on a full charge. I got a great deal on the EV knowing that the batteries were just about toasted. It seems like the flagship upgrade is between 5000-7000 bucks. There has got to be another way!

I have access to a good friend who works on all kinds of golf carts, electric bikes, mopeds. This person is also a top level coder, so he can help me program the controller, computer, what have you.

I don't need a ton of amp hours, anywhere from 150-200 ah would be fine. I am assuming I can do 8 12v batteries, 4 24v batteries, or 2 48v batteries?

Are these batteries crappy?

Refurb Nissan Leaf batteries seem Pro/con?

Same question for other refurb EV car batteries.

If anyone can help me with the answers to any of this, I would be forever grateful!

Thanks,

Noob

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Yep pretty much. You get what u pay for, sometimes less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep pretty much. You get what u pay for, sometimes less.
Thanks for the reply! I definitely understand getting what you pay for. My uses for the Ranger are probably different than most. I live in a small town suburb so this is like my golf cart for 4 mile radius. Also, I sell land and large acreage residential real estate. I use it to survey/show properties. Is there any benefit(besides the money and weight savings) or disadvantage in getting two good 48v 200AH batteries in parallel versus the standard 8 12v 30Ah batteries?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:
I was only getting 2 miles before charge indicator was blinking. I tested w multimeter and still had 90 percent juice. I drove for 3 miles after until it got sluggish. So battery indicator is way off. Tested after that, still had 70 percent charge? I dont understand lol

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Reset the meter or replace the meter. Charge fully, unplug charger and let batteries rest, with key on disconnect the meter at the white disconnect for 20 seconds and reconnect. If VoltronixUSA to expensive consider AGM batteries. No watering and no corrosion. I have installed 4 sets of Full River 12v 150ah batteries and owners really like them even say they get more range definitely little longer life.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The point of the original lead acid, and any lead version is having enough Ah capacity to deliver current . They cannot discharge at the same rate as a Li battery. And they can only really deliver less than half or the stored power as the voltage drop at about 11v is in effect the lowest point to discharge (yes thats a variable value between makes and 1v is just an incdication) and at that point the pack still has around half its Ah left. You just cant access it.WIth Li the discharge curve is considerably flatter and you can access well over 75% of the stored power. A good Li battery can also discharge at higher rates, so you dont need to have a huge Ah just to deliver the rquired power under load. But be careful. Many cheap Li especially cheap Lifepo4 are really bouncy, ie they sag a lot under load and really cant deliver the expected current. Buy cheap cells and you cant expect good performance. You really also need to re programme the Sevcon top reflect the new battery voltages, ie whereas the sevcon is set for close down at around 30v on lead, you shouldnt look to take Lifepo4 down below 2.7v/ cell or on a 16cell series pack 43v. And preferably start that cut back at a higher voltage.Protect your investment, no need to push the pack further that is needs to go and you will have it for longer. Leave the Sevcon as it is, thrash it, empty it out and your investment wont last long.The BMS may shut the pack down, but thats a final stage. You shouldnt look to force the BMS in the battery pack to turn off the battery. Actually doing that will also probably end in tears, as most of the contactors used are not designed to be made and broken under load. But to turn on and off at rest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you both, I have read many of your posts and appreciate your expertise. I really want the lithium batteries and now I'm thinking it may be worth the money. Voltronix web site seems like it might have been abandoned. Dead links, and when I call the number, I get some guy's cell phone and different company name.
Serious questions on lithium batteries:
1. If I keep it at 48v, and between 200-240 AH, do I still need to reprogram the Sevcon?
2. If I go with 48 volt batteries, do I need 2 of them, ran in parallel? Or would one be ok?
3. I assume these( 360 Wh 12V 30Ah 12Volt Battery Lithium Iron Phosphate LiFePO4 Battery Deep Cycle 699932524021 | eBay ) are crap batteries, but 8(12v 30AH) of them deliver equivalent 48v 240AH power specifications, so are they essentially compatible with sevcon also?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts