Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have a 2011 Polaris Ranger 800 XP. Recently it started losing power and the check engine light comes on. YOu can ride for maybe 10 minutes then it starts losing power and the light comes on and you have to turn it off. Once it sits for about 10 minutes you can go a little further and then it starts losing power again. I installed a new air filter and there is little spots of oil on it. Any ideas whats causing this?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I can't say if this is the problem but on a ride this year one fella had a similar problem with a Polaris 500 ATV. On a chance, someone suggested he loosen the gas cap and he never had the problem the rest of the day. Do not know what was causing it, gas cap or something else as I never seen the guy again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Tried that with no luck I read somewhere it could have water in the injectors so now I am on to check that out.

·
Registered
860 Posts
:confused: I have a 2011 Polaris Ranger 800 XP. Recently it started losing power and the check engine light comes on. YOu can ride for maybe 10 minutes then it starts losing power and the light comes on and you have to turn it off. Once it sits for about 10 minutes you can go a little further and then it starts losing power again. I installed a new air filter and there is little spots of oil on it. Any ideas whats causing this?
PO, Check your gas tank vent tube . Clogged tube will cause that symptom but it sounds more like classic 2011 800 fuel vapor lock. If the vent is clear (blow thru it) I would check fuel pressure to see if the fuel pump is going away which makes it run leaner and hotter. Ethanol has been found boiling in the gas tanks:eek: on some of these machines as it has a much lower BP than regular gas. One last thing,the check engine light means you have stored EFI codes that you need to read. Could have sensor wire (Tm/bap/TPS/IAC/CPS) wires chafing or broken.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I bought new fuel injectors, 2 new spark plugs and wires. The light went off but it is still missing and losing power only when it gets warm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PO, Check your gas tank vent tube . Clogged tube will cause that symptom but it sounds more like classic 2011 800 fuel vapor lock. If the vent is clear (blow thru it) I would check fuel pressure to see if the fuel pump is going away which makes it run leaner and hotter. Ethanol has been found boiling in the gas tanks:eek: on some of these machines as it has a much lower BP than regular gas. One last thing,the check engine light means you have stored EFI codes that you need to read. Could have sensor wire (Tm/bap/TPS/IAC/CPS) wires chafing or broken.
All lines seem to be clear. All wires seem to be in good condition. The gas is not boiling. The check engine light has went off but still having the issue. I am back at a stand still. Thanks for the help :confused:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think you still need to check fuel pump pressure.

Reactions: 18900xp

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think you still need to check fuel pump pressure.
Absolutely HH and he needs to check for the stored EFI codes. You cannot just pick and choose what diagnostic checks you want to perform, you have to do them ALL when trying to troubleshoot???..........

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
That could easily be a bad stator on your machine, although it doesn't seem it could be that. You would have exactly those symptoms. It is something that you would not want to be repairing yourself, but have a dealer check to see the condition of your stator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Absolutely HH and he needs to check for the stored EFI codes. You cannot just pick and choose what diagnostic checks you want to perform, you have to do them ALL when trying to troubleshoot???..........
I DID check ALL the EFI codes and it pointed to the injectors which was why I changed them. Only stored code that was there. ???

·
Registered
860 Posts
I DID check ALL the EFI codes and it pointed to the injectors which was why I changed them. Only stored code that was there. ???
.Please try not to keep important secret info. Low fuel pressure and even sometimes a broken wire on the TPS will throw injector codes 51 and/or 52. :eek: Now , back to troubleshooting , you need to check the fuel pressure or change the pump ???? Autozone/amazon sells a ACTRON fuel pressure gauge for like 30-40 bucks. Scratch the Alba/Ebay pump as I finally recalled you have a 2011. I would go for the Actron.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have an 2011 800 xp and am having the same issues. My issues only occurs when my fuel tank is about 1/2 full. If I keep it filled up, it does not happen. No error codes and acts like it is out of fuel. Engine dies then you can pump the gas and it will start up again, go 100 yards then shut down. Thought it might be a vapor lock, but wouldn't think you could start it immediately after it shuts down? I have installed aluminum barrier covered in Thermaflect Heat Shield Cloth that separates the tank from the engine. The fuel lines are also wrapped in the same material. Anyone know if there is something inside the tank that may be malfunctioning when the tank is 1/2 full?

·
Registered
249 Posts
The fuel line on the pump in the tank probably has a crack in it and is purging back into the tank and your losing pressure.

Get the whole assembly from highflowfuel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts