Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2011 polaris ranger with efi. It runs very poor at an idle (or rather wont run at all) and starts very hard. The starter cranks good battery is good etc. but doesnt seem to fire. Sometimes back fires. When the problem first came up it would start good when it was cold but then after we drove it for a bit it would when we stopped and then we would have the hard time getting it running. Now it is parked in the shed cause I know if I do get it running it will let us down as soon as we get short way from home.
If anyone has some ideas please let me know. I am not much of a mechanic but would like to save a little money if I could by not bringing it to the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sounds like the computer needs to be reprogramed. Did you buy it new or used. If you bought it used; you may try to find out if the previous owner monkey with it trying to get better performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought it used. Good thought I will check with the previous owner. One post that was posted a while back talked about the same issues and was mentioned that it needed a new crank sensor. Anyone know about that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Copied a post from Dmdrake

:cool: "Research a T- Bap replacement harness @ otb power sports . My 09 700 ranger was cutting out when it warmed up and this harness fixed mine . It's a common problem ."

You could try this too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As mentioned above...t- bap harness, tps harness and fuel pump pressure. 90% of the time its one of those 3 things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found some info on the T-Bap harness from OTB. Looks like that very well might be the trouble. Is it worth the $63 to just try it or should I do some more testing? Also found out the TPS sensor has caused some people some trouble that sounds similar to what Ive got going on. Got something to work on now. Thanks for now!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds more like a fuel pressure issue to me...no codes. Once they warm up pressure gets weak. Hard starting....weak pressure. Should be something about 38 psi after warmed up. Also...check your tank vent line and make sure its not plugged.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just curious what you found to be the problem? Hope it was an easy fix!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
had similar problem

I also have a 2011 500 EFI mid size ranger. Was hard to start and when you stopped it would go dead.
I adjusted the throttle cable and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2012 Ranger 500 EFI

I bought mine brand new last year, first ride it stalled while trail riding and had loss of top speed. It took a while to pinpoint the action which caused the stall. If I pumped the accelerator fast it would stall immediately then hard start. Took back to dealer and they said it had a lose spark plug wire. Next ride, same issues so back to dealer and showed them how it stalled by giving the pedal a quick pump. They replaced the fuel pump and said it had low pressure. Regained my top speed and no more stalls, but will still sputter if the accelerator is pumped quickly and sometimes stalls.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I too had my fuel pump replaced out of warranty as the dealer was trying to play me dumb. hard/no start, stall while driving, occaisonal miss and fart, they said they coudlnt verify, I told them to hire a new mechanic. New pump in and no more problems.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ethanol in fuel is not an issue in 4 stroke engines today, its the 2 strokes that get the crappy end of that deal. Ethanol free gas is getting hard to come by, most all stations dont carry it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My used 2012 500 EFI back fires and when going down hill I take foot off gas pedal and it seems to free wheel which is fine I know there is no engine break but it stalls. Or both back fire a bit then stalls. Idea?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts