Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start heading down the road of adding any more accessories, I'd like to install an auxiliary battery. I have recently purchase a 2011 Ranger 500 Crew (20-hours). The big draws on the system now are probably the lights I just installed and the 4500# Polaris winch. I'd like to install a radio and some other lighting. I would like to move all non-essential items over to an auxiliary battery but I'm not sure were to install one and what size or battery type would be best. I'm thinking about installing a deep cycle battery. I would probably put an isolator in so that the charging system can charge both batteries but disconnect the circuit when the charge voltage goes away, like I have on my boat.

Anyone have any suggestions on locations for a battery on my machine and what size might work? I would have no issue with custom fabricating something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

I have successfully removed and replace the stock ATV sized battery with a marine group 24 sized battery. I built a custom rack to hold the battery and welded it in place of the old brackets and box. It was not as easy as I had hoped and have some valuable lessons learned. Let me know if you have any questions and would like to try this. If you have tried something like this, I'd love to see some pictures or hear about how your build was. If you'd like to see some pictures let me know, I'm having difficulty loading them to the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also interested in putting a full size battery in my Ranger 500. need some pictures, help and guidance.
Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would be interested in seeing your new setup. I have installed a radio in my Ranger and my battery goes dead if I don't drive it about every two or three days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't Load Images

Unfortunately, I am completely confused as to why I can't load images to this thread. If you want me to send you some images. Send me a private message with an email and I'd be happy to send you the pictures. I have also recently installed a marine charging system and power connector to simply plug in an extension cord. I have also installed a CMS1 Clarion stereo, USB/Audio jacks, and Polk marine speakers, very nice setup.

The biggest lesson learned, check and double check the fit before welding your new bracket in. Everything seemed to work and fit properly, I testing installing the battery into the bracket on the ground but when I welded in the bracket I couldn't slide the battery into the vehicle. I had to do a bunch of grinding to make enough room for me to slide the battery in place. The pictures would probably help this explanation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have searched the forums and this is as close to my application so I will ask here. I have a 500 efi quad 2012 and also would like to add amp hours. I am wanting to add an auxiliary battery and keep my cranking amps available for when I need. I have seen the aux kit online , but have also read forums stating they were made for the 400 and do not fit the 500. Can someone verify the fit of the kit? Picture would very appreciated. Also interested in seeing the picture of the custom mounted battery by Jambone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have the same problem, I have a 2010 ranger 500 with all the extra's Lights,winch stero ect but not enough Battery Power. I want to get rid of that small battery and change it out with a full size battery, I'm not worried about the bracket, I can fab that. Can anyone give me a suggestion on What Size battery I should go with ? Either a high CCA or a Deep Cycle? If so what size !!! Help !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have successfully removed and replace the stock ATV sized battery with a marine group 24 sized battery. I built a custom rack to hold the battery and welded it in place of the old brackets and box. It was not as easy as I had hoped and have some valuable lessons learned. Let me know if you have any questions and would like to try this. If you have tried something like this, I'd love to see some pictures or hear about how your build was. If you'd like to see some pictures let me know, I'm having difficulty loading them to the forum.
Can you tell be what size, like CCA or deep cycle ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Battery change out

Im looking for some help ! I've got a 2010 Polaris Ranger 500 crew with all of the extra's (winch, front and rear lights ! Stero with JL speakers . The factory battery is just not enough, I want to replace it with a Big battery. I'm not worried about the bracket, I can fab one up, My question is should I go with a Marine deep cycle battery? If so what size and brand, or should I go with a regular car battery, like a 650 CCA ? Please help !!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wouldn't it be better to instead of making the current battery larger, add a second battery to protect your starter amps and go large on the second to feed the extra gadgets?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts