Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I purchased a bit of a Frankenstein 2011 RZR 800 I was told ran great but suffered an engine fire and the harness was replaced. Checked the basics (compression, timing, fuel, spark) everything seemed ok but it would crank, pop occasionally on a long crank, but no start. I'm an experienced mechanic but new to the Polaris world, decided to just let the dealer handle it. well, 3 months and $1400 they were unable to get it running either. They replaced the wiring harness and I believe a couple sensors, but then they started going down the throwing parts at it routine when I asked them what their methodology was they had no answer. I pulled the plug at that point. So now Im determined to figure this out myself now as this machine is really not that complicated! I have spark, I pulled the injectors, they are pulsing fuel on crank, compression test is showing 150 psi on both cylinders. I pulled the stator cover and timing marks are correct. ECU is only showing a code for rear differential which would not affect start. Shooting starter fluid into intake has no effect. Im going to try disabling the injectors and try running on ether momentarily to see if its bad fuel? Could it possibly be one of the sensors (TPS, Crank, Cam) not adjusted or not working correctly but not throwing a code? Any input from someone that knows these machines well would be really appreciated. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could a parking break play a role? I need the brake completely disengaged before it runs ****
So as I had previously mentioned, this is a cobbled together Polaris from and Older Ranger and drivetrain from a 2011RZR 800. I do not even see a parking brake on this thing. Ill have to check wiring diagrams to see where the switch is on the harness and see how it's setup.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Im not sure on the older Polaris models but my Polaris if you don't have the brake pedal pushed it won't even turn over. To simplify things I always revert to the things required to get the motor to at least fire.If you are getting good spark when you turn over the motor I would rule out any type of switch keeping it from firing. A weak spark could cause a problem. I ran into that several times that an engine was getting spark but because it was weak it would not start. As far as getting gas I always try to isolate that by removing the gas supply and just removing the spark plug and spraying starting fluid right in the cylinders. If it is getting spark and has air flow it should fire. This eliminates it getting to much gas and flooding the engine and not allowing it to start. With spark, fuel and proper air flow it should try to fire. I would believe it it was some type of sensor or brake switch it would either not let it turn over or keep it from allowing spark...otherwise it will fire.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Remove the valve cover and see if all the valves are moving the same. Don't rule out the fuel. I've seem too many issues with bad fuel in the past few years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts