Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had it for a year and loved it -- lots of snow plowing, hauling, hunting and fun trail rides, but it is time to pay the piper.

Needed to pull a winter killed bush out for my wife -- ought to have used the tractor. Hooked it up to the winch with a chain around it, spun in 2W, backed off, switched to 4x4, applied power and BOOM ... pulled in the shop and the oil was coming out of the front case.

Dealer says $1500 and is going to see what Polaris has to say. Straight back pull, one would THINK that it ought to spin the tires without breaking!

Looked at the forums and understand that reverse is probably part of the problem, but STILL ... lawn grass and it breaks before it spins? Sheesh, doesn't inspire much confidence!

·
Registered
871 Posts
It is a known problem pulling from the winch in reverse. Buddy did the same exact thing. The roller cage isn't designed for that in reverse. They make a better one made out of billet aluminum. When they blow they split the case. Unless u have warranty u r out of luck. Next time use the winch. It's what it's there for.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is a known problem pulling from the winch in reverse. Buddy did the same exact thing. The roller cage isn't designed for that in reverse. They make a better one made out of billet aluminum. When they blow they split the case. Unless u have warranty u r out of luck. Next time use the winch. It's what it's there for.
I just blew my front end out yesterday. Where could I find this billet carrier or is there anything aftermarket out there? I've been looking and it's looking like $900 for a used differential

·
Registered
871 Posts
I got mine from super atv. $150 give or take. I also installed the better plate. Was stupid easy easy to do. It does help to have a buddy with another set of hands. There is a video on YouTube on how to do it. The worst part of it is getting the front dif out of the machine, not difficult, just time consuming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts