Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEW TO POST AND LOOKING FOR HELP.
I have a 2012 800xp eps le that I bought about 2 months ago.
It starts fine, then after riding and getting to operating temp it will die when I slow down to an idle. It then does not want to start and stay running until it sits for 10 minutes or so.
As long as I am moving it seems to run fine.
I have insulated the fuel line from tank to injectors but problem remains.
I checked vent line (line has no restrictions).
I have read many posts that indicate weak fuel pump, but I would think it would lose power while running hard, not at idle. If someone could explain this to me or have any other ideas, it would be very much appreciated.
I don't want to just throw money at this problem without at least getting some good advice.

· Registered
861 Posts
NEW TO POST AND LOOKING FOR HELP.
I have a 2012 800xp eps le that I bought about 2 months ago.
It starts fine, then after riding and getting to operating temp it will die when I slow down to an idle. It then does not want to start and stay running until it sits for 10 minutes or so.
As long as I am moving it seems to run fine.
I have insulated the fuel line from tank to injectors but problem remains.
I checked vent line (line has no restrictions).
I have read many posts that indicate weak fuel pump, but I would think it would lose power while running hard, not at idle. If someone could explain this to me or have any other ideas, it would be very much appreciated.
I don't want to just throw money at this problem without at least getting some good advice.
hi wease, it is either vapor lock or low fuel pressure or both . I would spend 42 bucks and check the fuel pressure while on the road.....A fuel pump going south will just make her run leaner and hotter.:cool:..[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7838-Professional-Pressure-Tester/dp/B0009XQUKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409510545&sr=8-1&keywords=actron+fuel+pressure+gauge[/ame]

· Registered
861 Posts
Thanks Islander
Where do I get the gauge and how do I rig it up.???
wease, click on the AMAZON link . The gauge comes with several different adapters to fit the end of the fuel rail . It's so easy, even a jungleman can do it. Or, you can take it to a dealer for probably a couple hun..........:eek: Until you know exactly how the fuel pressure is,you will be spinning your wheels (not the Po's)???

· Registered
8 Posts
Ranger 800 efi problems

I have a 2013 800 efi an have had the fuel pump replaced already. I dont believe the pump is the problem because your machine wouldnt even want to move it it was the case. My ranger is in the shop as we speak for the same problems you are having an they tried to tell me that the windshield is trapping to much heat in the cab. I dont believe that is the case because it hasnt bothered all summer till now( right after they replaced the fuel pump). As soon as i hear what the problem is with my machine i will post the solution here.

· Registered
861 Posts
I have a 2013 800 efi an have had the fuel pump replaced already. I dont believe the pump is the problem because your machine wouldnt even want to move it it was the case. My ranger is in the shop as we speak for the same problems you are having an they tried to tell me that the windshield is trapping to much heat in the cab. I dont believe that is the case because it hasnt bothered all summer till now( right after they replaced the fuel pump). As soon as i hear what the problem is with my machine i will post the solution here.
The pumps characteristically go bad a little at a time with the engine running gradually hotter until vapor lock begins on shut down. That's a tidy fairy tale that the dealer is trying to feed you on the windshield causing the high engine heat.........Running LEAN is making them run hot and the fuel tanks at near boiling temps are cooking the pumps. A vicious circle.....

· Registered
8 Posts
800 fuel pump

I wld like to blieve that a brand new pump wld last more then 100 miles. If the windshield was the issue it wld have done it when it was 90 degrees out i wld have thought not 70. I also pulled the lower half of the shield to let more air in the cab an pulled the rear window off as well. Maybe polaris fixed it on the 15 models but havent had a chance to look at the new ones yet.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
800 dies then won't start

Talked to 3 guys at my dealer today, including the service manager.
They all said they have never heard of any vaporlock or engine compartment heat problems on a polaris ranger ever. ARE YOU KIDDING ME !!! Treated me like I don't knpw sh&#
Guess I'll have to take care of this myself.
Going to check pump pressure with everything heated up.
If weak at all I will replace pump.
Also going to wrap exhaust and fuel line.
Then I'll fab up a heat shield for the fuel tank and figure out a way to help ventilate the engine compartment.
Maybe I can whip this problem.
Also going to check tps. Anyone know what reading should be?

Any help or comment will be much appreciated.Thanks

· Registered
1 Posts
Ranger vapor lock

Hey everyone this is my first post. I have a 2012 ranger Crew 800 with the same vapor lock issues. Has there been any updates? I am beginning the process of installing all of the heat reducing tips you all have listed. What about recirculating the fuel back to the tank through a small in line orifice that would provide adequate back pressure but yet vent the fuel rail if vapor pressure were to build? Thanks for any info. Lyle

· Registered
890 Posts
This has been an ongoing problem. It's the ethanol in the gas. Ethanol has a very low boiling point. 160 degrees I believe or in that area. Switch to a non ethanol blended gas, it can be hard to find, but it will solve ur problem. My 2012 800 hard that problem, I never did the fuel pump, I just switched the gas I used and I never had the vapor lock problem again.

· Registered
2 Posts
NEW TO POST AND LOOKING FOR HELP. I have a 2012 800xp eps le that I bought about 2 months ago. It starts fine, then after riding and getting to operating temp it will die when I slow down to an idle. It then does not want to start and stay running until it sits for 10 minutes or so. As long as I am moving it seems to run fine. I have insulated the fuel line from tank to injectors but problem remains. I checked vent line (line has no restrictions). I have read many posts that indicate weak fuel pump, but I would think it would lose power while running hard, not at idle. If someone could explain this to me or have any other ideas, it would be very much appreciated. I don't want to just throw money at this problem without at least getting some good advice. Thanks :confused:
I know this is from almost 10 years ago, but i was just wondering if you found the issue or ended up dumping it? I have the exact same problem and if there was any resolution that would be sweet!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts