Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, We own 2 ranger ev‘s 2010 and 2012 neither one is running now. I’ll keep it short, the issue with the 2012 started recently. It started losing power as it climbed inclines, also battery indicator showed loss of power rather quickly. Attempt to use it this last week after turning key and moving into either forward/reverse the machine begins to slightly move then a clunking sound is heard from the rear and wrench light goes on. I suspect my batteri need replacing but does anyone have ant initial ideas BECAUSE THE POLARIS DEALERS ARE CLUELESS AND DON‘T EVEN WANT TO LOOK AT IT. Thanks in advance if anyone has any insight.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks guys , do you think that clunking sound is due to batteries?
There may be a work-around to find out. Use a long-ish extension cord. Leave the Polaris plugged in and charging. Drive the Polaris forward a bit and see if it still does the same thing. The extra power from the charger should make the problem go away if it's the batteries ... or make the problem happen when you are going faster at least.

My Ranger is heavily modded ... I'm not sure if a NORMAL Ranger will allow charging while in motion or if there is an interlock that prevents this. But it works on mine. I know that my pack is weak and I use a portable inverter with a LiFePO4 pack, running into the charge port, to extend the range on my Ranger until I get a new pack built.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There may be a work-around to find out. Use a long-ish extension cord. Leave the Polaris plugged in and charging. Drive the Polaris forward a bit and see if it still does the same thing. The extra power from the charger should make the problem go away if it's the batteries ... or make the problem happen when you are going faster at least.

My Ranger is heavily modded ... I'm not sure if a NORMAL Ranger will allow charging while in motion or if there is an interlock that prevents this. But it works on mine. I know that my pack is weak and I use a portable inverter with a LiFePO4 pack, running into the charge port, to extend the range on my Ranger until I get a new pack built.
I hope Arrowrain sees your suggestion using the extension cord/charger method (I like practicality) because...

I'd like to know more about the 2nd part, i.e.using a portable inverter (what is it, a photo or image please of the specific one you use) and LiFePO4 pack (again, what is it, a photo or image please of the specific one you use). My pack is 6yrs old and good enough to take me 30 up and down miles yesterday, but I had "range anxiety" , aka a headache, on the way home.
I relied on a new, simple VDC/% gauge I installed, comparing its figures with a std SOC chart. For the heck of it, below are my findings (posted elsewhere). I pushed the range to the max to get good data:
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

I did want to hijack Arrowrain's thread as he has a serious issues. If you suggest a new topic to discuss your range extending solution, I'll do that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
..meant to say that I did not want to hijack your thread, so getting back to it:
You may want to check VDC and SG of each battery. I did that last year and found one battery was out of spec. I replaced that one. That is contrary to general practice that all should be replaced if one or more are "off", but it has worked out OK for me.

These were my battery VDC readings in Nov 2020: 12.88, 12.89, 12.90, 13.02, 12.65, 12.92, 12.88, 12.98 (this is the replacement battery, the "bad" one read 11.13 with 2nd reading of 10.55VDC.
The SG of that one was low as well. The SG of the others were 1.028 - 1.030
The VDC readings done in May 2021 were consistent with the previous ones.

You may want to try ThingsTo Do's extension cord suggestion.

·
Registered
279 Posts
@Schwaco - If you are interested in discussing the portable 120V inverter solution, start up a thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts