Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any post the location of the fill and drain plugs for 2012 ranger 400? A few pages from the manual, pictures or a text description

I found the main engin drain plug on the bottom, i assume you fill in the small tank with the dip stick (does the tank drain w the engine or separate?)
The rear drive drain plug seems to be on the bottom of the case and fill at the side or back. The front drive has a fill at an angle, accessible from the front driver side, and a bottom drain plug.

The one I have not found yet is the transmission fill plug. I found the drain (plug in the bottom), but not the fill. It seems to have a one piece transmission and rear drive, but other manuals show separate units.

Please confirm that all of the above should fill to the fill plugs, the locations sound right, and THE LOCATION OF TRANSMISSION OIL FILL.

Any other tips would be helpful, I am doing my first , 25 hour change after break in.

Thanks all

·
Registered
447 Posts
It seems to have a one piece transmission and rear drive
It does, transaxle capacity - 33.8 oz

Its wise to remove the filler plug before attempting drain anything. Seems King Kong torqued some filler plugs and they can be a pita to remove. Use the correct tools or you could be up the creek if you damage it.

Sorry I can't help on the locations.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks z71. Which oil does the trans axle take? Do you know the Polaris type and amsoil type, as it is less than 6 months old and I already have some pure oil.
Don't mind switching after I am out of warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks z.
Anyone else know the location on the transaxle fill plug?
Do you have the users manual? If so check the maintenance section as all the needed info is there with clear pictures and full step by step instructions. If not, you can download the manual for free from the Polaris website.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep thanks, it had all the locations and fluids. Turns out hat "fix my toys" on eBay initially set 4 types of fluid and I only needed 3 (as stated above). The guys at fixmytoys were great. Sent me another quart and said to keep the extra.

Good service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts