Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, after pulling up some shrubs in L 4x4, I began having issues shifting from the dash. After lifting the bed, the cable looked to be kinked with extra slack. I tapped the lever with a hammer and the Ranger shifted to neautral and then to L and H. I had to do this a few times to get it back in the garage. I searched the forum for "shifter issues" and I got lost in all of the posts. Do you guys recommend a new shifter cable? I am due for oil change, but have fairly low hours on the machine. Do I need to service the transmission as well?

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is the reason I have a winch on my 2012 Polaris 800 full size. It is a lot easier to stress your winch than it is to stress you transmission. My dealer advised me to install a winch since I would be using my Ranger around my farm to move heavy objects. I now use a winch to pull up shrubs or move logs. Anything that needs moving gets hooked to my winch. So far I have not had any transmission problems. I guess my dealer knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!
I ordered a new shift cable and will work on that this weekend. I will go ahead and change the trans fluid as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts