Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving in low range when transmission locked up. Engine runs fine but the vehicle will not move and shifter will not move to get it into neutral No noticeable effect when switching between 2 wd, 4wd or turf mode. Had to pick up the rear end with loader to get it back to the cabin as the rear wheels are locked. Rear wheels will only rotate opposite direction when off the ground. Was making a loud clicking noise just before it happened and saw intermittent check engine light the day before. Any ideas what has happened? How can I get it disengaged so the wheels will turn so I can push/pull it onto a trailer for transport? Help!?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Belt, shouldn't affect shifting to neutral.

You could pull the axles to get it to roll.

I would drain the trans and see if any metal comes out.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sounds like one of the planetary gears may have let go. Normally they will blow the back of the case out. You have something jammed between gears and the case. Dont force anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Belt, shouldn't affect shifting to neutral.

You could pull the axles to get it to roll.

I would drain the trans and see if any metal comes out.
i have never tried to pull the axles out...what is the easiest way to accomplish that?

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you've never had them out, it may be a pain. See this recent post

2013 Ranger XP 900 Rear Axle Stuck!

Basically jack it up; remove wheels, suspension, aarms, etc. Just need to take off or tie up anything in the way.

1st step is to grab the axle and push toward trans and get it in as straight of a position as possible. then pull straight out using the axle as a slide hammer.

If you're lucky it will pop out without much fuss. If not, the cv will come apart and leave the inner cup and stub shaft in the trans.

If that happens, refer to the tread referenced above.

If you just need to be able to roll it around to get it loaded up or moved to a mechanic or something, just tie the axle out of the way after getting the hub off and bolt everything back together and it should roll, just don't start it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've used 2 small pry bars to pry the stuck axels out of the gear box side. BUT be gentle and not break or Crack the case when you do it

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a stuck axle on my 900, I used a wonder bar. I placed the flat end where the shaft meets the case. Light tap with a hammer on the other end popped it out.. don't get to hammer happy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts