Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new to us 2013 6x6 has gotten really tough to shift between gears. Last night I needed to go into 4x6 and it wouldn’t move so I engaged all 6 and it made a funny noise and now it is shifting better. I have recently started to get at idle a loud high pitch squeal, what I’m assuming is the transmission or clutch. The other thing I’ve noticed is the speedo goes crazy when parked and it will not shift when the speedo is off 0 when I’m sitting still. Any insight from the gurus?
Craig

·
Registered
127 Posts
does it shift easy when engine is off? I'm not too familiar with the differences of the 6x6 but if so it would suggest an issue in the clutches.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Clutch belt or clutch issue. Remove belt cover inspect clutchs / belt for wear dirt rust etc.. Long shot might be shift cable issue.

·
Registered
127 Posts
From the initial description, I would be thinking the bearing in the primary clutch. But yeah, 1st thing to do is open the clutch cover and start inspecting. If nothing jumps out as obvious it might be time to pull the clutches and get a deeper inspection of everything.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Try to spin the secondary and see if the belt rotates freely on the primary bearing, or if it is grabbing and pulling the primary.

If it has engine braking, I forget which way it will spin freely but it should spin one way freely and then grab the other direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try to spin the secondary and see if the belt rotates freely on the primary bearing, or if it is grabbing and pulling the primary.

If it has engine braking, I forget which way it will spin freely but it should spin one way freely and then grab the other direction.
Will try that!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Blow the clutches out with compressed air

Change the belt if it has quite a few miles on it. They’re relatively cheap $80-$90 I believe…

What is the machine idling at?

The squeal you hear is most likely the belt being too tight and squealing on the clutches. If the machine has a lot of miles the primary clutch could be worn out and have some parts that need to be serviced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input l! I think I had a bad bearing on primary. I bought a duraclutch and put it one and it’s sweet. Now to address my other issues. I need to replace a cv boot, fix parking brake and a leaking valve cover gasket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts