Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ,

If someone can help it will be much appreciated.

The universal joint conected to the splined shaft on the steering rack is just spinning when I turn the steering wheel so i assume the steering rack( and joint if you could advise me on this) will need replacing.
ive taken the wheels of and removed the plastic cover on the drivers side , I have managed to get a socket in there to take off the nut and bolt that holds the joint on to the splined shaft .

Now this Is where I am having problems trying to figure out how to get to the bolts holding the steering rack on to the frame , the access is very limited with all the pipes etc. I’m am wondering if anyone has done this before and has any tips how to do it ?

Any help will be very much appreciated

All the best

Tom

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah done loads and they are horrible, what I normally do is unbolt the front diff and slide it forwards, then using a stubby 13mm spanner hold the nuts at the back, and use a rachet and long extension to undo the bolts from the front... It's fiddly but easily doable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for your reply, can I ask if the steering joint normally needs changing at the same time or is it just the splines on the rack that wear out ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
depends on style, some of them are made like a balljoint, those tend to gain some play and you may aswell replace those.

the ones like in the video, if they look fine, i dont see why you cant reuse the.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It won't be the input splines that's the issue, it'll be the pinion bearings have collapsed so the pinion turns but isn't held meshed with the sliding rack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I managed to get the steering shaft out today , the splines on the rack look not too bad but on the coupling they look worn out any thoughts ?

E2C3C9C8-9446-4A1B-A6BB-5C3921E90C4F.jpeg

·
Registered
47 Posts
its possible someone jammed it on not aligned properly.

I could be wrong but I believe it only goes on one way.

make sure the steering wheel is straight,

and then I believe its 180 degrees on the splined shaft.
there will be almost two splines missing on the shaft, thats where the gap goes into the coupling.

not knowing what i just mentioned and hammering one on, will result in something like your coupling.

luckily the coupling can be replaced with 2 ujoints.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts