Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding in the woods my right rear axle popped at the outer joint. I was able to jerk the axle out of the diff and kept riding with my friends. About 30 minutes later I heard another pop and suddenly only the front wheels pulling. I stopped and checked the left axle " Rhino 2.0" and it seems to be fine. So now my machine won't move in turf or 2wd, only 4wd. I can see the diff where I pulled the right axle out earlier and its turning in 2wd when my wife gives a little gas but the left axle isn't even trying to rotate. I was able to drive with just the front wheels back to the camp about a mile. Not hearing any weird sounds, no cracked housing that I can see, no fluid leaking. Solenoid is working. Not understanding where my problem would most likely be because of seeing the diff still turning where I pulled the right side axle out. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On call 24--7 Been working crazy hours this week. Haven't had a chance to mess with it all week. Going out to check it out and drain the diff and look for metal. I'll get back to you in a little bit. THANKS for the replies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On call 24--7 Been working crazy hours this week. Haven't had a chance to mess with it all week. Going out to check it out and drain the diff and look for metal. I'll get back to you in a little bit. THANKS for the replies.
I pulled the drain plug and there was fine metal stuck on it, but no chunks on it. More like wear metal. Kind of like valve grinding compound looks like. No cracks in the casing that I can see. The fluid/ rear end grease did have some what of a grayish look to it but not real bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks! I just refilled with new diff fluid. As long as its locked in 4wd H-L-N-R and P work fine and can drive it but only front wheels pulling. 2wd and turf won't move it at all. As I said earlier the left rear axle is still in and not broke.
So I jacked it up and put it in low turf mode and when my wife gave it gas the left axle turned the the wheel. I could see the splines on the right wheel turning. So I then slid the broke right axle back in and clamped vise grips on it. It stopped turning then but the left was still turning. So I took it out of turf mode and put it in 2wd. Now the left wheel isn't turning and the right side with the vise grips on it is.
Sorry for the long post , just trying to give as much info as possible. Does that sound like the collar symptoms?

·
Administrator
2,608 Posts
Put it in park with the engine off and turn one side and see if the other side turns in the opposite direction, or does neither side turn.

·
Administrator
2,608 Posts
It looks like it is an engagement dog or shifting fork problem.
With the engine off and in park the differential should be locked side to side.
That lock is accomplished with a spring on the shifting fork so the solenoid is not involved with that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It looks like it is an engagement dog or shifting fork problem.
With the engine off and in park the differential should be locked side to side.
That lock is accomplished with a spring on the shifting fork so the solenoid is not involved with that.
So that would be your #64 and 65 like you said earlier ?

·
Administrator
2,608 Posts
"That lock is accomplished with a spring on the shifting fork so the solenoid is not involved with that."

UNLESS the solenoid plunger is stuck in the turf mode position. I have never heard of that happening but I guess it is possible so you might want to check for that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is that a bad job or is it something not to bad for someone that's mechanically incline but hasn't been in to one of these before?
Crazy question but I got to ask. If I were to put a new axle in the right side would that give my turf mode back so I could still use around the yard until I can get it fixed? I understand I would only have front wheels pulling if in 4wd. And no wheels in 2wd.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts