Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm new to forums so here it goes. I have a 2013 ranger 800 efi with a lil under 1000 miles on it. The problem is after its been going for an hour or so it starts to backfire and cuts out. The temp isn't running hotter than normal, and I'm not getting any service engine light. After it sets a while it runs fine for a while then does the same thing. I've checked the spark plugs and they don't look bad at all, however the insulator tip is kinda whitish which the book says could be due to overheating though engine temp is running normal. Has anyone else had a similar problem and/or know what's wrong? Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
Is it backfiring out the exhaust or intake. My guess is intake which means it is lean. White spark plug is also heat from being lean. I would look into the fuel system. They had a problem with some of the 2012 fuel pumps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if its coming out of the exhaust or intake. It sounds like its coming out of the back, isn't the intake in the front?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 800 XP just entered the shop with similar issue, there are no engine codes and if you let it set over night it runs like new. Also has a strong gas smell when it starts to die, if you let it set for a minute it will start and run for 50 yards and dies again. They told me to start with the thermostat, heat sensor switch and a new radiator cap, if that doesn't fix it they said to go with a new fuel pump. I thought I had bad fuel the first time but I continue to run premium grade with no ethanol and it happened again. I'm guessing the pressure sensor in the pump is bad cause it only seems to go when it's worked and I'm gaining elevation. I'll let you know Friday on the first fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like fuel pump to me. When it starts acting up, pull the fuel line. If it bleeds air out, it's the pump. I've seen many of these that will test good, even when acting up, because they are still holding pressure withing spec, but are sucking in air. I've heard of a few people fixing this problem by replacing faulty clamps on the pump assembly, could be worth trying to save hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Polaris rough idle etc.

Those symptoms are typical of low fuel pressure. If the fuel injectors are clean (Sea Foam) and fuel connections are tight, I would suspect the pump. It should be putting out right around 38 lbs idling/ hot/ and also under load . Here's a link to the best deal going on an easy to install quality pump.

Polaris Ranger 500 700 800 Fuel Pump Upgrade Kit with Filter Turbo Gas Tank | eBay

·
Registered
861 Posts
"They told me to start with the thermostat, heat sensor switch and a new radiator cap, if that doesn't fix it"

Thats hilarious, I hope "They" are not a Polaris Dealer. If "They" are, a report to the state should be filed for FRAUD or at least STUPID.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like your could be vapor locking. My 2011 would do this when it got hot and would be hard to start. If you let it sit for awhile and cool off it would run like new again. I ended up wrapping the fuel line from the tank to the end of the fuel rail with a heat blanket wrap to block the heat coming of the header and engine. Problem solved. Not sure if yours is the same but its something to think about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine dyes too

My 2012 800EFI crew is dying when it gets hot and limps back to camp through a tumultuous start stop. Cool off for a couple of hours runs great. I'm going to try wrapping the fuel line. All I know is it appears to be heat related and my mechanic cant get a good diagnostic due to the two hours or so it takes to get warm. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
seems like most of the rangers have this problem. you would think Polaris would fix the problem and do a mass recall.. smh

·
Registered
861 Posts
seems like most of the rangers have this problem.

I am not saying that Polaris doesn't have the absolute WORST customer service of any manufacturer in the WORLD, but they sell I believe, probably more machines than the next top three combined. If any other manufacturer made a machine that was as powerful and could haul as much cargo through adverse terrain and didn't look like a modified go-kart, I know I would tell Polaris to "pound sand". That being said, a forum that mainly deals with helping members keep the family Popo up and running is going to look like a Polaris disaster show. :eek: Keep in mind these machines only represent a small cross section of those sold annually. And now everybody sing

" If you don't buy a Po
your gonna go slow............"

Maybe I should cut back on the Irish coffee in the morning.........:eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
oh trust me im not getting down on polaris too hard.. Before my ranger i had a 04 sportsman 700. had it until last year when i bought the ranger, and the only thing i had to replace (besides the oil and lubes) was the battery. and that was after about 6yrs. It was a beast and took me anywhere i wanted to go, and places i shouldnt have.. lol. And i absolutely love my ranger. it too is a beast and will go even more places the sportsman wouldnt have, with the family and cargo.. I wouldnt have another machine besides a polaris. However, the heat issue is rediculous. If polaris would fix this, many many many ppl would not have a thing to get on here and complain about. haha Get-r-done polaris. fix this problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem,I took it to the shop first they put new seats in carb then found out the fuel pump was bad changed that said its fixed....went riding after 3 mile ride it lost power and died...started back up drove it to the shop again...tec says valves need to be adjusted...75 bucks later its should be fixed now tec says....Again went riding samething happened lost power and died!...Its in the shop now...been there more than I rode it this summer...Now he ordered a regulator says the last test he did showed it shorting out....We will see in 3 weeks when I get back up there and pick it up from shop the part is on back order...Hopefully its done when I get back up there...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Tuzz,
You to find another dealer...............Valve-adjustment making it cut-off??LOL Regulator shorting-out...LOL Man, what these techs come-up with is amazing.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts