Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone new to the Polaris ranger world. I bought my first one this season and we went on our first big ride over the weekend. We rode it for quite some time with no issues. We had to reverse backwards on a trail we couldn't complete or turn around. When we finally got to a point to turn around and the machine was put in low, there was no forward acceleration. When I push on the gas pedal the engine bogged down instead of revving up. As soon as I turned the machine off and restarted it, I was able to accelerate forward no problem. After a few seconds, the issue would return. We immediately started heading back to the cabin. It happened 3 more times on the trail. Restarting the machine each time I had issues seemed to temporarily solve the problem and I never did notice a check engine light.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start? I just got back last night and the rig is still on the trailer. I have not tested it at home yet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
First step is a fuel pressure test. 58 psi +/- 3psi. Run the test preferably up to temp and under load.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. I see where I can get a tester from my local auto parts store and I see I can order an adapter. Do I NEED the adapter to test the ranger or can I test it without an adapter?

·
Registered
418 Posts
You'll probably just need a barbed t fitting and a couple small hose clamps. Just tap into the end of the fuel rail that runs across the top of the motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I probably should have warmed up the engine. I'll let you know after.

Edit: After warming up the engine to 180 the psi was 40 for the first testand the around 55-58 each test after.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is the Check Engine light on at all?
It may be a clutch or belt problem, how many miles and hours are on it?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would replace the pump and regulator. Highflowfuel.com.

Your getting erratic readings and you shouldn't.....could be a problem with either or both. 800's are known to go through pumps. Had one myself.

Also test going down the road, hot and under acceleration.

But by the readings your getting....its on its way out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the Check Engine light on at all?
It may be a clutch or belt problem, how many miles and hours are on it?
No Engine light that I noticed.
brand new primary clutch and new belt. I thought about these but with the engine bogging down I didn't think on them too long.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This will get you fixed up. A fuel pump doesn't need to be warmed up to put out the proper pressure. Comes with the regulator, which is probably why your getting erratic readings.

Clean the tank out good before installing the new parts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's normal for a pump to show a lower pressure on the first cycle because it shuts of after only a few seconds if it doesn't receive an ignition signal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts