Polaris Ranger Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here is the final Schematic. I apologize for making everyone endure my project. I am not much of an electronics tech for sure, as I am sure you have all noticed, but I keep pressing forward. Learning how Polaris thinks was the first big leap forward. The starting system is pretty simple but clever as hell at the same time.

You turn the key on, fuel pump cycles dash cluster fires up and so on. Now turning the key does nothing until you press the brake. Safety procedures from Polaris, so you press the Brake and now your can turn the key and she fires up.

I discovered and should have picked it up from the schematics but I was over thinking things.
When the key is in the "ON" position, there is 12 volts at "P2", the Red and Dark Brown Wire on the "IN" side of the brake pressure switch located on the master cylinder up front. When the Brake peddle is pressed 12 volts is sent to the Brake Lights in the rear and via the "Brake Splice" from the Brake Pressure switch. One of the Orange wires branches from the Brake Splice and goes directly to the Started Solenoid located under the hood on the drivers side. When the Brake is pressed you always get 12 volts sent to the Starter Solenoid. If the Key is on and the brake is pressed, you will always get 12 volts on the Orange wire at the Starter Solenoid. This is how the 12 volts gets there to energize the Solenoid and engage the Started drive. As long as your not starting it, doesn't really matter if 12 volts is there or not.

Now you need a ground to complete the circuit. Here is where the Green and White wire on the Ignition switch come in.
When the Key is turned to "Start" position, "A" & "B" are connected. Since "A" goes to ground, then turning the Key to "Start" grounds "B". Since the Green and White wire goes from the Ignition switch directly to the Starter Solenoid, the it grounds the Solenoid and the Starter drive engages. Pretty Slick aint it. Now that the motor is running, pressing the brakes just powers the brake lights.

Once you have this down you have it made.
  1. Engage the RS82
    1. Unit flashes the Parking lights circuit or test light.
    2. The 2 "Ignition" sends power up.
      1. "1" is the Send to the ECM, and connects to the Orange wire on Pin "D" of the Ignition switch. This was the easiest place to tap into it. Now the Ignition is ready.
      2. "2" is connected to Pin 30 and 86 on the RLS-125 Brake Relay I added. 85 goes to ground. 85 and 86 energize the relay and 12 volts flows from Pin 30 to Pin 87.
        1. Run a wire from Pin 87 to the Orange Wire located at the starter solenoid under the hood, and leach it on to the Orange wire.
          1. There isn't much room under there to work, but you need to untape 3 plastic wire protectors grouped together. Just pull the plug off the solenoid and start there. I'll post more pictures tomorrow. I ran a new protector for the wire. Just re tape the wires good for moisture.
      3. With this accomplished you have sent 12 volts to the starter solenoid emulating the Brakes being pressed.
    3. The RS82 Will now energize the bottom on-board "Starter/Crank" relay and try to start the motor.
      1. Connect the Output from the RS82 "Starter/Crank" relay to Pin 86 on the RLS-125. Connect pins 30 and 85 to ground. Connect Pin 87 to either the Green and White wire on Pin "B" of the Ignition switch, or if you don't want to splice into that wire just run an extra wire when you run the wire that connect to the Orange wire on the Starter Solenoid. Either way it still gets a ground there.
    4. I added fuses inline from both relays to make sure there is no funny business.
I did a quick test and it works, I just need to mount and clean things up and give it a true test. Nice thing is you see the brake lights come on and you see that as well. They will remain on until the RS82 turns off. They will only illuminate while the RS82 is being used.
View attachment 23303
will you be using a separate battery to drive the bulldog?

·
Premium Member
2013 Polaris Ranger 800 EFI LE White Lightning
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Nope, I can't imagine it pulls very much amp wise just sitting. No more than the machine in general does. I have a solar charger on it so I'm not worried about battery drain. I'm going out in the morning and throw it in the machine. Hopefully nothing goes wacky during the install. This is my first side by. I have a 2000 Honda Foreman I put 19000 miles on. I got this in December, and being cold up here, I only put maybe 3 miles on it so far. Just been tinkering with it mostly. So since December and not even an hour of actual run time, I'v never had a low voltage issue with the battery. The charger is on about 8x8 square and it keeps it charged. Got it on Amazon for like 15 bucks I think.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

That's what I used to make the schematic. Awesome free tool. Digi-key is a great place.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here is the Solar charger I have. Works slick and has great reviews.

Amazon

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
OK it's a done deal and installed. Got to thinking no reason to have 12 volts at the brake relay all the time the auto start is on. Just needs to be there same time the ground from the switch is. And it works great. Now Start relay from the RS82 drives both relays and sends the 12 volts. In the video I say it wont shut off until you turn off the RS82 but that's incorrect. Once the RS82 runs the 10 minutes or however long you set it for, it will stop sending the 12 volts from the Ignition #1 send. So it will still work normally in auto start mode. You start it, it runs 10 min and shuts off. So if you start it and five minutes later you hop in and turn the key on, drive two feet for two minutes and turn the key off, it's still going to stay running for 3 more minutes before it releases the the Ignition #1 relay on the RS82. So during that time you will need to either stop it with the remote or install a momentary switch on the RS82's Brake input with 12 volts to emulate the brakes being pushed. Polaris having the brake lockout to start it facilitates this need. Hope that makes sense.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Some more pictures of how I mounted it and where to find the wires up front. Image 6241 shows the Solenoid, it's out of focus in the background but the wires coming from the solenoid are the Yellow and the Blue short wires going to the connector, the other end changes colors to the Orange and the Green and White wires. That's where the Orange brake wire goes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well so far so good. I have been using it steady and no issues yet. I set my phone to stopwatch and it in fact turns itself off after 15 minutes. I cranked it with the key and all was fine. I did windup putting a Master Power rocker switch in the cutout next to the LED light for the RS82. Now you can kill the RS82 if something wacky happens. I think I'm going to put a flip switch in the dash to interrupt the send from Ignition #1. Then I can kill the engine without having to disconnect power to the RS82 itself. It will occasionally reset if it loses power and you have to relearn the remote. That's when the toggle switch on Blue brake wire comes in.

I have left the solar charger off to see if there was any battery drain and it still shows 12 volts every morning. I'll post if anything relevant happens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well so far so good. I have been using it steady and no issues yet. I set my phone to stopwatch and it in fact turns itself off after 15 minutes. I cranked it with the key and all was fine. I did windup putting a Master Power rocker switch in the cutout next to the LED light for the RS82. Now you can kill the RS82 if something wacky happens. I think I'm going to put a flip switch in the dash to interrupt the send from Ignition #1. Then I can kill the engine without having to disconnect power to the RS82 itself. It will occasionally reset if it loses power and you have to relearn the remote. That's when the toggle switch on Blue brake wire comes in.

I have left the solar charger off to see if there was any battery drain and it still shows 12 volts every morning. I'll post if anything relevant happens.
My Bulldog arrived today. I’ll be setting it up on the bench first. I’m installing it on a 2020 XP 1000. I’m hoping it’s an easier installation than on your 2013 Ranger 800 ( without the use of the additional 2 relays). I’ll post my progress.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think the newer Rangers are way different. I'm sure they got smarter and more techy with these new ones. There is a thread on a newer machine somewhere I'll look for, and he just needed a simple install. I'll post the link soon as I find it again.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Found it. This is what got me started. He has great info too.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just about a month now and no bugs have popped up. She still works slick with no noticeable battery drain.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just an update:
Had zero issue all winter and it always started with no issues. We even had a month long spell of 20 to 30 below temps. I didn't attempt to start it that cold but when I finally did the batteries were still at full charge with just my little solar charger I have mounted on the hood. So I can say this seems to be a fool proof method.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts