Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie here. Not new to off roading, I'm a jeeper. But just picked up my 2013 500 efi for hunting, off roading, fishing, etc. I've installed winches before on Jeeps, but this is my first foray into UTV's.

Question is, does anyone know the exact mounting plate needed? Most websites have said nothing is compatible with the 2013, but I assume that's just because they haven't added it to their databases yet. Can anyone confirm that the 2012 mounts are the same?
Does anyone know any one know about any kits that include a mount that is in fact compatible with the midsize 500 efi? I'm looking at superwinch terra 45, viper, smittybilt, and others. However, I want to make sure that it either comes with the correct mount or that I can find the correct mount and hopefully have it delivered in a few days so I can install it before a weekend trip.

Please share details, pictures, model numbers/vendors. I greatly appreciate it.

cosmokramer

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did this https://motoalliance.com/Site.Store.go?action=gotoProductDetails&id=492

Its a Viper Elite 4000 with red cable/rope. And the EMP bumper that is a mount.

Yet to use it much but with the wireless remote its handy as heck! The only issue is the hood doesn't open all the way forward. I'm working on pins to do a quick release setup. To use the remote you need to reset the control unit so its a good idea not to bury it too far when mounting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Winch follow up an installation notes

So I decided to pull the trigger and order and install a winch and mount. I went with the standard kfi winh mount for the 500, part number 100820, and the superwinch terra 35 with synthetic rope. I got them off of amazon. Some guy reviewed the wide mount an terra 45 and said it did not fit either the terra 45 nor the 2012/13 ranger midsize 500 efi (I cannot confirm if this is true or not though). I went with the 35 because I knew it would fit that mount and I knew I could and would use a snatch block if I got into trouble.

This was my first winch install so it took me about 3 hours. The directions for the mounting were good, except neither the mount nor the winch instructions explicitly showed which orientation to mount the winch to get it to roll under (as opposed to wind over). I guessed, wrong. In any case the clutch side should be on the passenger side.

As for the wiring, I decided to splice the red toggle switch wire (that turns the winch on only when the key is in) to the cigarette lighter accessory wire (EDIT ORANGE/WHITE STRIPE). This worked perfectly. I mounted the toggle under the driver side front cubby above the drink holder. The solenoid was mounted to the front of the battery box.

Everything hooked up nicely, and it all works. As of right now I did not install the wired remote. I just didnt have it I me at the time and may do it another time. Maybe route it to the back in case I want to stand further way or if the nose is up the air, etc.

In any case, I'm happy. I'll let y'all know if I get stuck and need to winch out. I'm extremely impressed with the 500 efi. I took it out on some tough tough gnarly trail with tree stumps, sand, inclines, rocks, and it didnt even flinch. I love it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As for the wiring, I decided to splice the red toggle switch wire (that turns the winch on only when the key is in) to the cigarette lighter accessory wire (brown with orange stripe). This worked perfectly. I mounted the toggle under the driver side front cubby above the drink holder. The solenoid was mounted to the front of the battery box.
Thanks for the detailed post!! Just a FYI, the top post on the buss bar (with orange/white stripe wires) is keyed power in case you want to add something else later. I mounted my solenoid in the same place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Accessory Ignition wire splice correction

Thanks for the detailed post!! Just a FYI, the top post on the buss bar (with orange/white stripe wires) is keyed power in case you want to add something else later. I mounted my solenoid in the same place.
Thanks for the correction! I double checked which wire I spliced and it is the orange with white stripe.

Did you end up using the remote wiring? Any thoughts on the most useful mounting location?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the correction! I double checked which wire I spliced and it is the orange with white stripe.

Did you end up using the remote wiring? Any thoughts on the most useful mounting location?
Yep, all orange with white stripe wiring on Polaris is keyed power.

My remote is wireless so mounting it was attaching a reciever under the hood on the side of the glove box. I've run across a few discussions here with suggestions on mouning the standard remote connection. The best I saw, in my opinion, was on the side of the steering column.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow up

So I wanted to give some follow up with the superwinch 3500. It's perfect. I had the ranger climb down a pretty bad decline while hunting. On the way back, on the incline, the ranger front wheels were perched, the belly was wedged on rocks, and I couldn't get traction. Any ways, hooked up the winch to a tree, and it pulled without a problem and without needing a snatch block. It dragged the ranger on the underbelly plate at a 30-40 degree angle. I was very impressed. If anyone with a midsize is going back and forth on a 3500, I'd say you don't need anything bigger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the final posting on the 3500, i have been back-n-forth on 3500 & 4500 Viper, i'm now going to go with the 3500

·
Registered
8 Posts
2013 500 EFI ranger midsize under the hood on driver side black plastic with three lugs with wires top is hot when key on middle is ground I think and bottom was hot all the time . I drop my test light and now the bottom wire is not hot at all. The wire runs under the fuse holder and in to the main wiring harness .Can not find the power or the fuse please help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts