Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 570 ranger sometimes has a problem idling and starting up. Does not do it all the time but is getting more frequent. I live 1 and 1/2 hours drive from a dealer. I would appreciate any thoughts as to what may be causing the problem. Taking the Ranger to get it worked on would be two trips back and forth. So if this is something that I could fix myself I would if I had a idea to what is causing the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,413 Posts
It might be the spark plug.
It could be the valve clearance, possibly too little clearance on the intakes. I suspect this.
It might be low fuel pressure.
You might do a load test on the battery to make sure it is good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be the spark plug.
It could be the valve clearance, possibly too little clearance on the intakes. I suspect this.
It might be low fuel pressure.
You might do a load test on the battery to make sure it is good.
My 2014 570 ranger sometimes has a problem idling and starting up. Does not do it all the time but is getting more frequent. I live 1 and 1/2 hours drive from a dealer. I would appreciate any thoughts as to what may be causing the problem. Taking the Ranger to get it worked on would be two trips back and forth. So if this is something that I could fix myself I would if I had a idea to what is causing the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Put new spark plug in and engine cranks good when trying to start back. Runs good on road and going up steep trails. Engine seems a little loud. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2,413 Posts
If it is a a cold start problem I suspect intake valves too tight.
If it is a hot start, won't idle when hot problem it could be the exhaust valves too tight.
It is easy to check the clearance. You might be able to access a shop manual online and get the specs and procedure.
It is probably over due for a clearance check since it is a '14 model. I doubt it has ever been done.
But if they are within spec you have eliminated that as a cause.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rockit401 I will check that out. You don't think it might be some thing electrical like idle sensor if it has one? Thanks Homer I would welcome any more ideas from others too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts