Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ranger 6x6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

Well, I bought a 2014 6x6, supposedly had been well maintained.

So, as I'm cutting the rear bolts on the lower A-Arms to get them out (yeah...well maintained...ok), I eventually thought that I'd drop a message to the forum regarding the wheel bearings (yeah, well maintained..sigh).

The bearings that are in the carriers have rubber seals on the outer races, and the ones that I've just gotten from the dealer have no seals whatsoever. Made in China, number 3514917. 40x74x40mm. According to the dealer, these are better, heavier duty bearings vs the OEM style?

I'm thinking I'm going to keep these unsealed ones as backups and probably source some newer sealed or semisealed bearings instead.

I'd welcome any ideas or comments from more experienced folks, these rangers are a new animal to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Go back to stock and get a wheel bearing greaser and use marine trailer grease in them. Good to go for many many rough miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2014 Ranger 6x6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...so those bearings in the carriers right now, the ones with the rubber seals - those are probably the originals?

·
Registered
63 Posts
It sounds like you still have the originals in the hub.
Your Dealer sold you the latest version of the Polaris Bearing.
However there is an HD Version as well .

·
Registered
2014 Ranger 6x6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, thanks for that info. I wonder why they stopped with the seals, versus keeping them unsealed. Only thing I can think of is they don't trap as much junk. I did pick up the bearing greaser, neat design and I'll probably be using them after every run.

I'm still going through it, so far the rear diff had water in it - milk came out. Center diff had lots of deposits on it, so I expected there to be some kind of leak, but I didn't expect there to be basically no oil in it. I'm probably going to add that to the list of things I need to tear down, but I think I'll just clean it, fill it, and see where the leak is coming from.

I've gotten three axle/wheel/A-arm assemblies off so far, torn down, painted and reassembled. I'm also going through the frame and cleaning and getting some paint on that too. I can see some areas that I'm going to improve also, better venting, access, routing, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the tips folks, I appreciate them all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The rear diffs...well anytime you go in water up to the diff there will be water inside. Middle diff might need new deals depending on mileage!

Front diff is the most finicky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2014 Ranger 6x6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, looking like it's time for seals in the center diff, along with some CV rebuilding that's going to have to be done. Got the right side middle axle off, but it busted the inner snap ring for the CV, might as well go through it, and while I'm at it might as well go through all of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts