Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Forum been searching and can't seem to find anything related to answer my questions so here goes the question.

I have a 2014 Ranger 800 Fullsize purchased it new and regulary maintained right at 1000 miles on it now. I have always used Rec gas in it (90 Oct non-ethanol). Out riding this weekend at the ranch running a scavenger hunt rode about 30 mile into a 40 mile trip and all of a sudden I notice throttle no responding losing power I shut it off a restarted same thing. At this point I flip thru the gauges all is good 13.1 Volts 204 degrees and fan comes on 194 it goes off no code or check engine lights on. Shut it off for 20 minutes started right up and ran good for another mile or two then it losses power. I progressively got worse but was able to make it back to camp. Let it sit for 1.5 hrs it ran fine.I did try loosening the cap several times when it had issues and no different even tried running with the cap a little loose in low gear at around 10-12 mph it would do the same thing. I ride this thing miles into the woods with my other half and our 7 year old daughter many times with no one else riding with us so it has to be reliable. I am fairly mechanical to say the least and have a service manual for it. I am leaning towards fuel/pump issue since there was no braking up or codes just loss of power and died if you give it throttle if you let it idle it was fine(all but one time it did completely die out). Don't wqnt to just throw parts at it. Thanks for any and all help

·
Administrator
2,635 Posts
Welcome to the forum RiverRanchRanger.

I agree with redvett on the fuel pressure. Sounds like the pump could be getting hot and crapping out.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Yes, do check the fuel pressure.

If you were running through water, you could have gotten a connection to a sensor wet. Check your TPS and TBAP sensors, and add some dielectric grease to the plugs where they plug into the harness. Check on youtube for tutorial videos regarding this, plenty of info there.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions I will keep you all posted. That was my first thought fuel pump getting hot...I have never ran it below 3/8 of a tank of fuel... my plan for this weekend install fuel pressure gauge and let it run to see if pressure drops of as it gets warmed up.58psi is what I am reading it is supposed to have?I did pull the TPS plug while out on the trail while it was acting up made no difference...If it was a sensor or connection issue wouldn't I get a check engine light or code? I did find after doing some reading that the fuel tank vent runs into the seat frame tube which I never realized and I almost always stick the end of the sprayer nozzle on my garden hose up to that tube when washing off/out the mud so I am going to pull the pump first and check to be sure there is not any water/mud in fuel tank. I am very cautious about crossing water and have never had it in water deeper than my shin while seated and that was only for a second so I was sure it wasn't debris until reading and finding where that vent is shoved in the seat frame tube.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Was out riding with a buddy the other day and his cart started doing what you are describing. Fuel pressure was good, not over heating or anything. Checked the oil and the oil was barely touching the dip stick. Added oil and started running like a champ again. I guess it went in to limp mode due to being that low of oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got fuel pressure test kit in today along with a Quantum HFP-396 fuel pump kit (just in case suspection is right)....install gauge fire it up 57-58psi....ran it for half hour maintaining above pressure.... let it sit idle for another half hour ran it down the road pressure slowly drops all the way down to 46 although it was still running fine....i imagine if i run it longer pressure will continue to drop so next project install quantum pump (i will check pressure one more time once it cools overnight)...any body installed one of these pumps? Any thing i should look out for or do other than cleaning tank while im in there?

·
Super Moderator
1,937 Posts
I have also heard of that problem that ehenry comments on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So a bit of an update........ Checked the fuel pressure the next morning after letting it cool down pressure read 46psi again...Great... problem solved fuel pump is taking a crap (or so I thought) .... Pulled tank, removed pump assembly (sock/strainer is brown and appears to be near clogged) drained gas into clear bucket....Found maybe a teaspoon of water and tiny amount of dirt/debris in buckets. Put pump assembly on bench and disassembled(slightly different than what I read on "how to" had to un-solder wires from underside of connector in order to remove pump housing and disassemble)...Once I was able to begin tearing down pump housing all sorts of debris started coming out from inlet side of pump...Blew thru the filter backwards with some carb and choke cleaner and more debris comes out ( I caught most of it in a container and put a magnet to it and it stuck so what I though was red clay and dirt is apparently metal)...how could I be getting metal in tank (pump internals ? )...Cleaned everything and reassemble and add fresh rec gas...turn key several times to bleed air then attempt to start ....fire's right up but pressure gauge is reading zero(apparently my brand new gauge is crap)...So I don't know if any of my pressure readings where right but I do know there was a clogged strainer and metal/debris in pump filter.....have to take it for another 40 mile run and see if this has fixed it although I'm thinking /hoping it has...

P.s I checked the oil while on the trail when original problem occurred double checked it again last night oil level is full and clean...

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to Forum been searching and can't seem to find anything related to answer my questions so here goes the question.

I have a 2014 Ranger 800 Fullsize purchased it new and regulary maintained right at 1000 miles on it now. I have always used Rec gas in it (90 Oct non-ethanol). Out riding this weekend at the ranch running a scavenger hunt rode about 30 mile into a 40 mile trip and all of a sudden I notice throttle no responding losing power I shut it off a restarted same thing. At this point I flip thru the gauges all is good 13.1 Volts 204 degrees and fan comes on 194 it goes off no code or check engine lights on. Shut it off for 20 minutes started right up and ran good for another mile or two then it losses power. I progressively got worse but was able to make it back to camp. Let it sit for 1.5 hrs it ran fine.I did try loosening the cap several times when it had issues and no different even tried running with the cap a little loose in low gear at around 10-12 mph it would do the same thing. I ride this thing miles into the woods with my other half and our 7 year old daughter many times with no one else riding with us so it has to be reliable. I am fairly mechanical to say the least and have a service manual for it. I am leaning towards fuel/pump issue since there was no braking up or codes just loss of power and died if you give it throttle if you let it idle it was fine(all but one time it did completely die out). Don't wqnt to just throw parts at it. Thanks for any and all help
I experienced the same on Saturday, replaced fuel and same thing happened on Sunday. 30 km in and when this happens I just turn off the key and start again and power is restored but not for long. I am going to get a pressure gage and go for another run and try and eleminate possible proplem item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got fuel pressure test kit in today along with a Quantum HFP-396 fuel pump kit (just in case suspection is right)....install gauge fire it up 57-58psi....ran it for half hour maintaining above pressure.... let it sit idle for another half hour ran it down the road pressure slowly drops all the way down to 46 although it was still running fine....i imagine if i run it longer pressure will continue to drop so next project install quantum pump (i will check pressure one more time once it cools overnight)...any body installed one of these pumps? Any thing i should look out for or do other than cleaning tank while im in there?
I took mine out and cleaned the tank and installed fresh fluid. It’s pretty easy to replace. The fuel gage wasn’t working so I had to remove and get it to float while installing it. Don’t know why it was stuck on empty. Worked fine once I did that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 high lifter that just did this. 800 miles on it. I am not mechanical by any means but the motor or muffler got louder then lost power - my co-rider said it sounded like something popped. Checked oil - it was fine. When it was restarted, it ran fine. Haven't ran it since other that just a 1/2 mile to test it out but I figure this will happen again after it runs for awhile. Did anyone ever figure out if it was the fuel pump?

·
Registered
2017 Ranger Crew Northstar 6" lift 15" wheels with 32's
124 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 2017. The fuel pressure was low and it was running lean so I put a new fuel pump assembly in. It starts way better. But the problem still exists. I will check the oil tomorrow. Maybe I have a loose wire or bad ground some where. But I will be watching this thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts